9th October, 2026: The Nightmare Before Christmas.
It’s officially official: it’s rained this morning.
And it’s going to rain, again, later today.
We need it … but as I’m planning a trip to the high street, later?
I’d better wear a hat … !
~≈🧢≈~
The USA allows the death sentence: both federally, and at state level.
It’s also got a fine tradition of botched death sentences: as Death Row inmate, Christa Pike, will no doubt tell you.
Personally?
I don’t like the idea of capital punishment.
I feel it’s too easy to botch the execution, it’s even easier to convict the wrong person — English history shows us that! — and sentence them to death, and frankly, from the little I know of the figures?
It’s cheaper to give someone a life sentence, than execute them.
Again, from the little I know, Death Row inmates have little to no funds of their own.
So their repeated appeals are publicly funded, and cost the tax payer much more than a hanging.
Should the US keep executing prisoners?
I, personally, don’t think they should: I wouldn’t want my tax dollars being wasted on the process.
I also think the country could make the death sentence morally worse.
By making executions public.
Nidal Hasan, who shot dead 13 unarmed US soldiers at Fort Hood in 2009, is due to be executed by firing squad.
And?
Pete Hegseth, the US Defence Secretary, has announced the execution will be live-streamed.
Would, effectively, be public.
How on Earth do you justify that?
Well, Hegseth says “People need to understand that there’s serious consequences for these types of things”.
Given capital punishment in the US really hasn’t stopped people committing murder, I don’t see how Mr Hegseth can justify that!
And, given public executions are possibly the most immoral things going … ?
Hegseth could only make this execution more immoral, more objectionable, by selling t-shirts at the event.
Let’s move on.
Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.
Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?
Q1) The Nightmare Before Christmas debuted on 9th October. Of which year of the 1990s?Q2) The Nightmare Before Christmas debuted on 9th October. At what: the Cannes Film Festival, the New York Film Festival or Cork Film Festival?Q3) Who directed the film: Tim Burton, Ridley Scott or Henry Selick?Q4) Caroline Thompson wrote the film’s what: the script, publicity or storyline?
Q5) Danny Elfman wrote the film’s music. He was also the lead singer for which band: Devo, Oingo Boingo or the B-52s?Q6) Danny Elfman wrote the film’s music: and proving the singing voice for the main character. What was the main character called: Jack Skellington, Santa Claus or Oogie Boogie?Q7) The main character is the king of where: Halloween Town, Christmas Town or Easter Bunny Land?Q8) Who’s the film’s villain: Dr Finkelstein or Oogie Boogie?Q9) Dr Finkelstein has an assistant. Called what: Fritz, Igor or Condo?Q10) Finally … ? The main character’s love interest is called Sally. She’s a what: rag doll, ventriloquist’s doll or showroom dummy?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Eddie Rickenbacker was born on 8th October, 1890. He was a what: WW1 fighter ace, guitar maker or giraffe wrangler?Q2) 8th October is National Fluffernutter Day. Where: the USA, New Zealand or South Africa?Q3) Thomas Duncan died on 8th October, 2014. He was the first person in the USA to die of what: HIV/AIDS, the Ebola virus or COVID 19?A3) The Ebola virus.Q4) The Peruvian Navy was established on 8th October. Of which year of the 1820s?A4) 1821.Q5) Finally … ? The Confederate Army lost the Battle of Perryville: on 8th October, 1862. As a result, the Confederate States lost control of where: Kentucky, Alabama or California?A5) Kentucky.
Here’s a thought …
“There’s only 365 days left ’til next Halloween!”The Mayor of Halloween Town.
And a tune …
There’s more ten question sets on the 27th October, and on the 8th and 10th November: they’re about Godzilla, Monty Python’s Life of Brian and All Quiet on the Western Front.
The next twelve question set is on 16th October: it’s about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Your comments, and today’s answers, will be published in tomorrow’s Teaser.
AI is avoided when writing these questions.
Answers are as accurate as possible: at the time of writing.
Decisions about scores are final.
Thank you for coming: have a good day.
* Hello, Mum! (Eddie was the fighter ace, Mum — hie second cousin, Adolph, was the guitar maker. Thomas Duncan died of Ebola, and the Confederate States lost Kentuckey, not Alabama.)
† I don’t blame you, Debbi: fluffer-nutters don’t exactly sound like haute-cuisine. It strikes me a US sized McDonalds is healthier … !


No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.