Sunday, 8 April 2012

The Daily Teaser — 08-04-2012

Hmmm …

Yes, let’s put the poster over there, today, shall we … ?

Just for once … !

At any rate … ?

As you’ve probably guessed, I’ve got Radio 4 on, at the moment.

And their Sunday programme … ?

Has just had a piece about a singing New York cabbie.

OK, I think most New Yorkers would probably raise an eyebrow, there, but here’s the twist.

The cabbie they highlighted was of Pakistani origin … and sang ancient Sufi poetry!

Now THAT’S probably going to have interesting results in a generation or two … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

»»•««

Yesterday’s Teaser sawDebbi putting in her answers: and along with letting us know about how she felt about Billie Holliday’s Strange Fruit*, also bagging 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 8th April, 1959, saw a team of computer scientists meet, to discuss the creation of the programming language, COBOL: what does COBOL stand for … ?
Q2) 8th April, 1892 saw the birth of actress Mary Pickford: name any of the people who co-founded United Artists with her.
Q3) More to the point, in which year was this … ?
Q4) 8th April, 1886, saw William Gladstone introduce a bill into the House of Commons: designed to give Home Rule to which Dominion … ?
Q5) 8th April, 2008, saw the completion of the first building to have integrated wind turbines: where IS that building … ?
Q6) And finally … 8th April, 1986, saw Clint Eastwood elected as Mayor of Carmel: he was elected to fight the city council’s law banning the eating of what in public … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th April is World Health Day, celebrating the founding of the World Health Organisation: in which year … ?A1) 1948.
Q2) What’s the theme of this year’s World Health Day … ?A2) Aging and Health.
Q3) 7th April, 1969, saw the publication of RFC1, considered by many to mark the birthdate of the Internet.   What does RFC stand for … ?A3) Request for Comment.
Q4) 7th April, 1827, saw chemist, John Walker, sell his first what: aspirin, friction match or ulcer cure … ?A4) Friction match.
Q5) 7th April, 1986, saw Sir Clive Sinclair sell his computer business to Amstrad.   How was his most successful product, the ZX Spectrum, marketed in the USA … ?A5) The Timex Sinclair 2068.
Q6) And finally … 7th April, 1989, saw the K-278 Komsomolets sink off the coast of Norway: was it a a seaplane, freighter or submarine … ?A6) A submarine.

Enjoy those, everyone.   I’ll leave you with birthday boy, Julian Lennon’s Much Too Late For Goodbyes.
Oh … there’s a fascinating interview  with Julian on YouTube: VERY interesting what he has to say about his father …
I’ll wish you a Happy Easterª.























*        I think resonate is definitely the word, Debbiº!   Strange Fruit certainly does that: I think I always get thrown, whenever she looks at the camera.   She’s singing at us … 

º        And, yes, looking forward is DEFINITELY the phrase: I’m still waiting for Least Wanted to come through at Brentwood Library, I’ll have to chase that up, come Tuesday … 

ª        And a Happy Passover for those of us that celebrate it … !

3 comments:

  1. Charlie Chaplin 2
    1920 3
    Canada 4
    Dubai 5
    Chewing Gum 6


    Freda Downie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interview with Julian was well worth it. Thanks for posting it. :)

    1. Common Business Oriented Language
    2. D.W. Griffith, Charles Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.
    3. 1919
    4. Ireland
    5. Manama, Bahrain
    6. ice cream (Can you imagine? A law against eating ice cream in public. How silly is that?)

    Dirty Harry is awesome! :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know: would you believe it, Debbi, you need a permit for high heels … ?

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.