Tuesday, 17 April 2012

The Daily Teaser — 17-4-2012

Hmmm … 

Well, that’s a thing: and a thing, what’s more, that I’m grateful for.

Bless her,my mother’s quite a woman: and one that’s also decided to buy me a new bed.

One that’s due to be delivered today.

Remind me, when I get the chance,  to say “Thank You” to her.

And possibly sing her a song.

So long as it’s not the one I actually had floating around my head, this morning, I should be ok …
Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with wondering about the ancient British law against eating minced spiders on Christmas Day*, also bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and Video
Q1) 17th April, 1951, saw what become the UK’s first national park: Dartmoor, the Peak District or the Lake District … ?
Q2) 17th April, 1978, saw the assassination of politician, Mir Akbar Khyber: which lead to a communist coup d’etat in which country … ?
Q3) 17th April, 1969, saw Bernadette Devlin elected as Britain’s youngest MP: for which constituency … ?
Q4) More to the point, how old was she?
Q5) 17th April, 1897, saw the small Texan town of Aurora hit by a what … ?
Q6) And finally … 17th April, 69 AD, saw who become Emperor of Rome?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 16th April, 1457BC, is the best estimate of the word’s earliest recorded battle: at which small Israeli settlement … ?   A1) Megiddo: also known as Armageddon … 
Q2) 16th April, 1945, saw the US Army liberate the Colditz PoW camp: who played Flight Lieutenant Phil Carrington, in the BBC series, Colditz … ?   A2) Robert Wagner.
Q3) 16th April, 1953, saw the Queen officially launch the Royal Yacht, Britannia: in which year was it decommissioned … ?   A3) 1997.
Q4) 16th April, 1746 was the date of the Battle of Culloden, between Scottish and English forces: name either army’s leader …    A4) Charles Edward Stuart, AKA Bonnie Prince Charlie, for Scotland, and William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, in charge of the English army.
Q5) And finally … 16th April, 1881 saw who fight his last gun battle, in Dodge City … ?   A5) Bat Masterson.

Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with a tune from The Buzzcocks.   After all, it is Pete Shelley’s birthday … 

I’m just hoping the title won’t tell me what the wait’s going to be like, waiting for a certain delivery …









*        I’m fairly certain that one’s apocryphal, Debbi: but it‘s supposed to be one of the old witchcraft laws that got overlooked, after the Witch burnings were over.   Overlooked … and never taken off the rolls.   (Actually, don’t quote me, but I think a lot of them are literally rolls: Parliament’s been going for a long time, so when they say precedent, they mean it … )

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Literal rolls. I love it. :)

    That's the thing about the U.S. It's such a young country, by comparison to others. Now, in law schools, I'm not sure how much research they do in books as opposed to online. I hope they're still teaching how to look things up in books.

    Well, anyhow ... :)

    1. the Peak District
    2. Afghanistan
    3. Mid-Ulster in Northern Ireland
    4. 21
    5. UFO
    6. Vitellius, aka, Aulus Vitellius Germanicus Augustus

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.