Friday, 3 August 2012

The Daily Teaser — 3-08-2012

Oops … !

No, seriously, Oops … !

I’ve actually found out what’s been going on with my boiler.

I’ve not managed to top up my gas … !

BOY, do I look embarrassed.

For STARTERS, it means I’m going to have to make a few phone calls, once the offices are open … 

Ahem … 

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

While I take comfort in the fact that Team GB’s now fifth in the medal table … 

⌘⌘⌘⌘

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi and Trevor* putting in their answers: with both bagging 5 out of 6, it also saw Trevor confirming my guess at the noted Shenfield burial, and Debbi† telling me more about her script.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 3rd August, 1492, saw who set sail from Palos de la Frontera … ?
Q2) 3rd August, 2003, saw the American branch of the Anglican Church name it’s first, openly gay, archbishop: what was his name … ?
Q3) 3rd August, 1977, saw the US Senate begin its hearings into the CIA’s MKULTRA project: which English band recorded a song called MK Ultra … ?
Q4) 3rd August, 1957, saw Prince Tunku Abdul Rahman become the first elected head of state of which country … ?
Q5) And finally … 3rd August, 1990, saw the founding of which tyre company … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 2nd August, 1873, saw the Clay Street Hill Railroad start operating the world’s first cable car: in which US city … ?
A1) San Francisco.
Q2) More to the point, cable cars run on cables: trams run on what … ?
A2) Tracks: or rails, if you want to put it that way.
Q3) 2nd August, 1918, saw Japan deploy troops to which part of Russia, near the end of World War 1 … ?
A3) Siberia.
Q4) 2nd August, 1932, saw the discovery of the antimatter version of the electron: what’s it called … ?
A4) The Positron.
Q5) 2nd August, 1923, saw Calvin Coolidge become the US president on the death of his predecessor.   What was his predecessor’s name … ?
A5) Warren G. Harding.
Q6) And finally … 2nd August, 1939, saw Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd write a letter to the US president, to urge the building of the A Bomb: who was that president … ?
A6) Franklin D Roosevelt.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with a tune from birthday boy, Tony Bennett, duetting on this song with the late Amy Winehouse … 


Oh … And a word or two from Colette …
“We only do well the things we like doing.”
Colette, 28 January 1873 – 3 August 1954












*        Got to admit, Trevor, the other option was Johnny Herbert, although I ruled him out fairly early: he’s not actually dead … 

†        I think I missed that bit, to be honest: but good luck with that.   (Oh … Are you going through Kickstarter, as a thought?   I think the site’s due to open an English branch, this year: I was going to mention it to Kevin D, if ever his wrestling group need funding.)

2 comments:

  1. A1 Cristóbal Colón known in English as Christopher Columbus – I have seen his statue in Funchal on the Island of Madeira
    A2 Reverend Canon Gene Robinson
    A3 Muse
    A4 Federation of Malaya
    A5 Shanghai Tyre & Rubber Company

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I decided to use Indiegogo. We'll see how it goes. I know it takes currency from around the world, because there's a fee for currency conversion. So I should be able to solicit donations everywhere.

    More to come as the project launch date nears. :)

    1. Christopher Columbus
    2. Gene Robinson
    3. Muse
    4. Malaya
    5. Firestone Tire and Rubber Company

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.