Friday, 29 March 2013

The Daily Teaser — 29-3-2013: It’s Not Good Friday, It’s The Real Thing … !



Hmmm … 

It’s officially Good Friday.

Which means … well, several things, actually.

For ONE thing, pigging out on hot cross buns is near enough obligatory: unless, of course, you’re on a diet, you can’t afford them or — like me — you really can’t be bothered.

The other … ?   Is that the Reverend Justin Welby*, the new Archbishop of Canterbury and head of the Church of England, has just delivered the Thought For The Day on Radio 4: and committed the major faux pas — as far as the Today programme presenters were concerned — of admitting he never usually listens to it.

Hmmm … 

Let’s save his blushes, and move on, shall we … ?

Yes, let’s … !

≈≈~~≈≈

Yesterday’s Meltdown Teaser saw Debbiº putting in her answers: along with reminding all of us it’s better to be safe, she also managed to score 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Real Thing questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 29th March, 1886, saw Dr John Pemberton brew up the first batch of Coca Cola: in which Georgia city … ?
Q2) Pemberton originally sold the drink as Pemberton’swhat … ?
Q3) Pemberton’s original recipe called for thirty pounds — or fourteen kilograms — of what: sugar, salt or pepper … ?
Q4) Some US retailers managed to create demand for Coca Cola made with cane sugar.   This version is usually exported from which Central American country … ?
Q5) In which year was Coca Cola declared Kosher … ?
Q6) Two halal alternatives to Coca Cola have been made in Europe: in France and England.   Name either.
Q7) In which year of the 1980s was New Coke introduced … ?
Q8) And finally … In which year did Coke’s advertisers introduce the “It’s the Real Thing” slogan … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th March saw the start of the meltdown at the Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant.   In which year of the 1970s … ?
A1) 1979.
Q2) In which state is Three Mile Island … ?
A2) Pennsylvania.
Q3) What was the name of the 1979 film about a nuclear meltdown … ?
A3) The China Syndrome.
Q4) 1986 saw a similar accident take place at a reactor: at which Ukrainian power plant … ?
A4) Chernobyl, near the town of Pripyat.
Q5) And finally … the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster occurred after a tsunami and earthquake: in which country … ?
A5) Japan.
I’ll leave you with this thought from Jay Leno …
“There are now more obese people in the United States than there are overweight people. I think it's safe to say that after all these years, Diet Coke is a complete failure.”
Jay Leno.
This rather well known advert … 


And this song: that took its cue from the advert … 


Enjoy your day … 













*        Who — it has to be said — looks like my old comprehensive school physics teacher.

º        Bit of a story for you, Debbi: one of my neighbours complained to me — once — about how he’d received an email from his bank, and ended up with a virus.   I asked him where he’d found the email: in which folder the thing had been in, in other words.   He then had to confess he’d found it in his email Spam folder.   I have to admit, I got a touch harsh with him: and explained the REASON it had ended up there was because it was a hoax email, and he shouldn’t have gone near it.   There’s no helping some people, is there … ?

1 comment:

  1. No, some people never learn. Oh, well. :)

    1. Atlanta
    2. French Wine Coca
    3. sugar
    4. Peru
    5. 1935
    6. Mecca Cola
    7. 1985
    8. 1972

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.