Monday, 4 March 2013

The Daily Teaser — 4-3-2013


Well, it HAS to be said: I’m now officially a year older … !

It’s my birthday, today!   So, frankly, I’m going to be thanking everyone for the cards I’ve had, already.


I’ve got to admit, it did take a while setting that up.

The cabling, and playing videos wasn’t the problem.

Oh, no.

Working out which channel to use took me a while: it turns out my TV uses the channel meant for old fashioned VHS recorders.   There’s possibly an irony, there … !

At ANY rate … ?

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ? 

≈≈~~≈≈

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers:along with telling us she’s feeling remarkably clear headed, she also managed to bag 6 out 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 4th March, 1933, saw Franklin Delano Roosevelt inaugurated as US President: what had he used as his campaign song … ?
Q2) More to the point, how many FULL terms did he serve as President … ?
Q3) 4th March, 1675, saw John Flamsteed named as the Royal Astronomer: by which King … ?
Q4) 4th March, 2012, saw who elected as President of Russia … ?
Q5) 4th March, 1923, saw the birth of noted TV presenter and amateur astronomer, Sir Patrick Moore.   What was the name of the TV show he presented for many years … ?
Q6) More to the point, what was the name of the star catalogue he created … ?
Q7) And finally … 4th March, 1985, saw the US Food and Drug Administration approve a blood test for which disease … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 3rd March, 1284, saw which Principality incorporated into England … ?
A1) Wales.   (Under the Statute of Rhuddian, so you know.)
Q2) 3rd March, 1924, saw Caliph Abdul Mejid 2nd, deposed: which Caliphate had he been ruler of … ?
A2) The Ottoman Empire.
Q3) That empire is now known as which country … ?
A3) Turkey.
Q4) 3rd March saw a plane from that country crash in Paris: in which year of the 1970s … ?
A4) 1974.
Q5) 3rd March, 1923, saw the first publication of Time magazine.   Who did name as their Person of the Year, in 2012 … ?
A5) President Barack Obama.
Q6) And finally … 3rd March, 1991, saw two countries vote to become independent from the Soviet Union: name either of them.
A6) Latvia and Estonia.
I’ll leave you with this quote from fellow birthday boy, the late Sir Patrick Moore …
“I’m only a four-dimensional creature. Haven’t got a clue how to visualize infinity. Even Einstein hadn’t. I know because I asked him.”
Sir Patrick Moore, 4 March 1923 – 9 December 2012
And with this tune from Swiss band, Yello: as it’s also frontman, Dieter Meier’s birthday … 


















*        Well, you’re definitely looking as sharp as ever, Debbi.   Actually … I think that’s possibly the cue for a song … 


(Oh, YouTube’s got the original Lotte Lenya cut, too … )

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm re-posting my answers now, and if Blogger vanishes them again, I'm telling!!!

    1) Happy Days Are Here Again
    2) Three
    3) Charles II (unless I got my monarchs in a twist)
    4) Vladimir Putin
    5) The Sky at Night
    6) The Caldwell Calendar
    7) HIV

    Having gotten my daily dose of irritation and hate for Blogger, I'm going to have a good cup of tea. Hugs all around and a kiss to the birthday boy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the song, Paul! :) I included it in my post today. Happy birthday again!

    1. Happy Days Are Here Again
    2. 3
    3. Charles II
    4. Vladimir Putin
    5. The Sky at Night
    6. the Caldwell catalogue
    7. AIDS

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.