Friday, 8 March 2013

The Daily Teaser — 8-3-2013

Arrgh … Or possibly Bleaugh … !

Actually, Bleaugh’s possibly the word.

After all, I had a fairly late night, putting together the new batch of Teaser videos.

The up-side … ?   Is that I’ve now manage to confirm — for my own satisfaction, if nothing else — that any of my backed-up video stored as mp4 files will play on my iPod Touch.

Shoved into my Dock … ?   That meant I could happily watch a lot of old Dr Who episodes.

OK … Out of a job I might be, but at least I’m not going to run out of things to watch … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   Yes, lets … !

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with confessing she felt mildly silly, after getting an answer wrong, the day before yesterday, she also bagged 10 out of 10.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we … ?

Here’s those questions, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 8th March 1702, saw Queen Anne, the last Stuart monarch, ascend the thrones of England, Ireland and Scotland.   Which of those two kingdoms formed Great Britain, in 1707 … ?
Q2) She was eventually succeeded by George 1st: of the House of where … ?
Q3) 8th March, 1817, saw the founding of the New York Stock Exchange: at № 11, … where … ?
Q4) 8th March, 1920, saw the founding of the world’s first Arab state: the Arabic Kingdom of where … ?
Q5) More to the point, that Kingdom suffered a coup led by the Ba’ath Party: on 8th March of which year of the 1960s … ?
Q6) And finally … 8th March, 2004, saw the Governing Council of where, ratify a new Constitution … ?
Here’s yesterday’s rather chilly questions and answers … 
Q1) 7th March saw Roald Amundsen announce he’d reached the South Pole: in which year did he make this announcement: 1912, 1913 or 1914 … ?
A1) 1912.
Q2) More to the point, Amundsen and his team reached the South Pole in December of which year … ?
A2) 1911.
Q3) The South Pole is on the Earth’s most southerly continent: is that the Arctic or Antarctic … ?
A3) The Antarctic.
Q4) Confusingly: how many South Pole’s ARE there … ?
A4) Four.  (4):   or possibly five!   The one we all think of is the Geographic South Pole, the (off-shore) Magnetic South Pole, the Geomagnetic South Pole (Blowed if I know) and the South Pole Of Inaccessibility, the most remote point in Antarctica.   (There’s ALSO a Ceremonial South Pole, where photo-shoots are done: it’s a few yards away from the real Geographic South Pole … )
Q5) The South and North Poles define the Earth’s axis of rotation: how many hours does it take to rotate?
A5) 24: one day, in other words.
Q6) More to the point, in which direction does the Earth rotate: north south, east or west … ?
A6) East.
Q7) True or False: the Antarctic continent, itself, is a desert … 
A7) True.
Q8) Who lead the 1907-09 British Antarctic Expedition … ?
A8) Ernest Shackleton.
Q9) Moving back to where we started, what nationality was Roald Amundsen?
A9) Norwegian.
Q10) And finally … who lead the British Terra Nova Expedition to the Antarctic, that was beaten to the South Pole by Amundsen’s team … ?
A10) Captain Robert F. Scott.
I’ll leave you with this quote from dancer, Cyd Charisse …
“The censors were always there when I was on the set. When I was held up, in a lift, they were up on ladders to see if I was properly covered.”
Cyd Charisse, March 8, 1922 – June 17, 2008
And with Breezing, by birthday boy, Gábor Szabó … 


Have a good Friday … !








*        Tish!   Don’t put yourself down, Debbiº … !   After all, have a look at today’s score … ! :D

º        Oh, hang on, I’m starting to sound Julian and Sandy … !

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul! :) No worries. I'm shaken, but not stirred. :)

    1. England and Scotland
    2. Hanover
    3. Wall Street
    4. Syria
    5. 1963
    6. Iraq

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.