Friday 10 November 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 10th November, 2017.


Ah HA!

We got costume … !

I don’t know about you, but I’m some thing of a Dr Who fan: grew up on it, and followed both old and new, ever since.

So, obviously, whenever there‘s an announcement about a new Doctor?

I tend to keep my eyes peeled for them.

So … ?

So, yes: I saw the news about Jodie Whittaker’s costume.

Part of me is thinking: “We’re concentrating on the outfit, because she’s a woman … !”   Whilst being very aware that there’s been interest in other versions of the look the boys are wearing.

Personally?

Personally, I know there’s speculation that Jodie’s Doing Mork And Mindy.

But, frankly?

I’m thinking it’s vaguely Sixth Doctor.

It’s the unfeasible loud trousers …

~≈Â≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 10th November, 2008, NASA announced the conclusion of the Phoenix mission.   The Phoenix lander was on which planet?
Q2) Henry Winston made a donation to the Smithsonian: on 10th November, 1958.   Which diamond did he donate?
Q3) Which US author was born on 10th November, 1871?
Q4) Henry Stanley found missing explorer, David Livingston: on 10th November, 1871.   Stanley greeted Livingston with the words, “Dr Livingston, I …” what?
Q5) Finally … ?   A book published by Penguin sold out on its first day of publication: on 10th November, 1960.   Which DH Lawrence novel was that book?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 9th November is the date of several notable events: in one european county’s history.   Things like the Kaiser’s abdication, the Beer Hall Putsch and the fall of the Berlin Wall.   The day — and the events — happened in which country?
A1) Germany.
Q2) 9th November is therefore known as the Schicksalstag: or Day of what?
A2) Fate.
Q3) 9th November, 1907, was the birthday of King Edward 7th.   What diamond was he given?
A3) The Cullinan.
Q4) More to the point, the largest gem cut from that diamond is known as the Great Star of where?
A4) Africa: the diamond is part of the Sovereign’s Sceptre with Cross.
Q5) Finally … 9th November, 1961, saw the birth of TV presenter, Jill Dando.   In which year was she shot and killed on her own doorstep?
A5) 1999.
I’ll leave you with a thought …
“September is my favourite month, particularly in Cornwall. I felt, even as a child, that if you get a wonderful day in September, you think: ‘This could be one of the last, the summer is nearly over.’ If you get a wonderful day in May, you think: ‘So what, there’s more coming.’”
Sir Tim Rice, born 10th November, 1944.
And a tune … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I have to admit, I haven’t read whilst walking for a few years, Olga: I always kept hitting lampposts!   Actually … would a lamp help?   (Don’t get me started on the dentist: the extraction’s now NEXT week: as the scale and polish is now a two part job‡!)


†        You mean … show things for free, Debbi?   US audiences wouldn’t have it, they LIKE paying hand over fist.   (I’ve got my tongue firmly stuck in my cheek, here … !)   At ANY rate: I THINK that’s why whoever owned Star Trek at the time came with either Enterprise or Deep Space 9: basically, to advertise the new channel/network they were showing it on.

‡        According to me dentist, I have a ‘very strong tongue.’   People keep smirking when I say it, I can’t think why!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Mars
Q2) The Hope Diamond
Q3) Winston Churchill (never knew about this one and it seems he was famous in his time…)
Q4) Presume
Q5) Lady Chatterley’s Lover (it goes to prove Fifty Shades is nothing new…)
Sorry to hear about the dentist. It's becoming a trilogy (actually a soap opera...)
I know what you mean about walking into lampposts. Stepping on something you shouldn't it's also common. I walk the bit of the Transpennine Trail (http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/) that passes through Penistone (about five minutes down the road from where I live) up and down and you can walk for miles and there's no traffic, although you must beware horses and bicycles... (but depending on the time you go out you might just meet some people walking the dogs and it's pretty pleasant).

Debbi said...

Oh, yeah. I adore paying too much for things! She says with tongue firmly in cheek! :)

1. Mars
2. the Hope Diamond
3. Winston Churchill (hmm ...!)
4. presume
5. Lady Chatterley's Lover