Tuesday 11 December 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11th December, 2018

11th December, 2018.


Yep: it’s a Tuesday, yes, I’ve got an interview … 

And, yes: I’ve got concerns.

And not about the interview, per se.

No … 

It’s the train fare that’s causing the issues.

I’ve got it covered by the job Centre … mostly … 

I’m just wondering if it’s going to be enough money to cover the cost.

I like London … but I’d hate to be stuck in the middle of it … 

~≈§≈~

Right … 

Something else I’m seemingly getting a lot of, just recently?

Is phone calls.

Annoying ones.

Frankly?

Right now, I’m job-hunting, as you know.

So I tend to answer the phone: just in case it’s someone offering me a job or an interview.

However?

A good two thirds of the calls coming in on my landline, are scams: there’s a few on my mobile, as well.

Mostly, the mobiles are trying to sell me boiler repairs, or PPI checks.

The landlines?   Are usually ones claiming to be from my Internet Service Provider: threatening to cut me off.

If I don’t put the phone down, straight away?   I usually get through to the ‘technician,’ and then start singing whatever cheesy song springs to mind.

Then I put the phone down.

Not that that seems to work: I’m expecting another one at about nineish, as I have for the past few days.

But it makes me feel better.

~≈§≈~

Oh, as a rider to THAT … ?

A couple of times, now, I’ve had attempted drive-by downloads.

Usually disguised as an attempt to install an updated version of Flash Player.

Personally?

Most malware out is aimed at Windows based PCs.   So I’ve not many concerns on that front.

But wasn’t going to download anything from that link … 

Just in case!

Besides … I actually update Flash, a few days ago … through the usual Mac update system.


Now … have an owl … 


~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) 11th December, 2017, saw the death of TV presenter, Keith Chegwin.   As a child actor, he made an appearance in Roman Polanski’s film version … of what?
Q2) Which Asian nation joined the World Trade Organisation: on 11th December, 2001?
Q3) Communist Red Guard organised an uprising in the Chinese city of Canton: on 11th December, 1927.   Canton is now called … what?
Q4) Indiana became the 19th state to join the USA: on 11th December, 1816.   What’s the capital of Indiana?
Q5) Finally … ?   Bill Wilson had his last drink: on 11th December, 1934.   Which shy self help group did he co-found as a result?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Stunt rider, Eddie Kidd, did an 80ft river jump: on 10th December, 1979.   Over a river, where: Essex, Kent or Surrey?
A1) Essex.
Q2) 10th December, 1851, saw the birth of Melvil Dewey.   Famously, he created a classification system for what: cheese, books or rocks?
A2) Books.   (Walk into your local library: the books are filed according to the Dewey Decimal system.)
Q3) Raúl Alfonsín was elected president: on 10th December, 1983.   Of where?
A3) Argentina.
Q4) 10th, December 1952, saw the birth of TV presenter, Clive Anderson.   Which Channel Four comedy show did he present for many years?
Q5) Finally … Drummer, Meg White was born on 10th December, 1974.   She plays drums for which band?
Here’s a thought …
“Literature that is not the breath of contemporary society, that dares not transmit the pains and fears of that society, that does not warn in time against threatening moral and social dangers — such literature does not deserve the name of literature; it is only a façade.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 11 December 1918 – 3 August 2008.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Yep, I got one, too, Olga.  Ben, the chap in charge?   Is an old family friend: and managed to bring in a falconry glove for the right hand.   He knew someone would ask for a left-handed one!   But Echo was rather cute.   Oh, we had to be careful not to stroke them.   Apparently owl feathers don’t have oil on them, like other birds.   It’s partly what makes them silent in flight.


*        Tricky, moi?   That’s a vile accuracy, Debbi! :D   At any rate, cheers for the comment.   It’s a shame there’s no more until New Year’s Day, and 2020.   2020!   Honestly!   At any rate, the thought occurs that there’s possibly a lot going on, there.   Either telling people Christianity’s a false religion … or that creator gods are bad … or that the Ux like getting potential crucified … !

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Macbeth
Q2) China
Q3) Guangzhou
Q4) Indianapolis
Q5) Alcoholics Anonymous
Thanks for the owl clips. Good luck with the interview and I know what you mean about getting stuck in London. Fingers crossed!

Debbi said...

I don't know, but I sure hope they keep the show going! :)

Good luck with the job search, etc.

1. Macbeth
2. China
3. Guangzhou
4. Indianapolis
5. Alcoholics Anonymous