Monday 24 December 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24-12-2018: Christmas Eve

24th December, 2018.


You know, right now … ?

I’m out of a job, and spending the little cash I have on important stuff.

Bills, more bills, even more bills … oh, and food, where possible.

The fact my hair needs cutting, so I look good on video … ?

Is way down the list … 

~≈§≈~

Oh, just to follow up on the Great Gatwick Drone Situation.

Apparently, some of the reported sightings were … mistaken … 

On top of that … ?

The couple who were arrested in connection with the sightings?

Have now been released, rather than charged … 

On the up side?

Police have found a damaged drone in the area.

Hmmm … 

I get the feeling something … odd … has happened … 

~≈§≈~

I amongst all this … ?

That fact I’ve been up all night watching a Christmas horror story called A Christmas Horror Story … ?

Is practically incidental … 

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Bad Wolf‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) 24th December is Christmas Eve.   Traditionally, many Orthodox Christians will mark it on which day in January?
Q2) Christmas Eve is a character in which musical?
Q3) Christmas Eve also a 1832 short story by which Russian novelist?
Q4) Christmas Eve is also a song on the I Wanna Be Santa Claus LP.   Song, and album, are by which former Beatle?
Q5) Finally … ’Twas the Night Before Christmas is set on the evening of Christmas Eve.   What, strictly speaking, is the poem’s name?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Which Jane Austen novel saw its  first publication: on 23rd December, 1815?
A1) Emma.
Q2) Which year did the original cover say it was published in?
A2) 1816.
Q3) How many volumes was the first edition published in: two, three or four?
A3) Three.
Q4) In the opening of the novel, Austen describes her heroine as “handsome, clever, and … ” … what?
A4) Rich.
Q5) This book was the last published during Austen’s lifetime.   Her last book was published posthumously.   What was that last book?
Here’s a thought …
“Why does Santa Claus come down the chimney on Christmas Eve?   Because it soots him.”
Christopher Walter.
A Kelly Clarkson song …


And a song celebrating its two-hundredth anniversary …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Well … the stuff I could find online said it was Persuasion, Olga: I should possibly have clarified, and said completed!   One of these days, I’ll get the hang of Wikipedia … !   And it sounds like you’ve saved on wrapping.   Possibly a good thing: there’s a lot less mess!

†        Yep, I’ve managed to get that updated, Trevor: at least in offline version.

‡        Oh, @Badwolf, did you mean 1816 … ?   Only I’ve had to make you down, I’m afraid!

^        What can I tell you, Debbi?   Except I’ve never read any Austen, either!   There weren’t any laser guns … !

4 comments:

trev-v said...

A little less haste. 4 people entered your quiz."both of them scoring five out of five"? I have noticed that before when I confuse you by being the third person answering your questions. And "Only I’ve had to make you down, I’m afraid!" . Poor old @Badwolf who only made the kind of date error that you make.

A1 Well there are 3 answers to this question
the Armenian Apostolic Church it is 5th January
The Eastern Orthodox Church it is 6th January
and the Oriental Orthodoxy it is 18th January

A2 Avenue Q

A3 Nikolai Gogol

A4 Richard Starkey (Ringo Starr)

A5 A Visit from St. Nicholas


Seasons greeting to you and all who answer your questions.

Olga said...

Q1) 6th of January (my friend Iman, an Egyptian Copt always celebrated it that day and tried to adjust the calendar around her dates)
Q2) Avenue Q
Q3) Nikolai Gogol
Q4) Ringo Starr
Q5) A Visit from St. Nicholas by Clement Clarke Moore
No worries, but it seems they published the two in one volume. Austen is well-worth a read. I've also been reading a lot of books by people that either revisit the original stories, sometimes updating them, or write stories about some of the other characters. I remember buying Pride and Prejudice, the TV version, with Colin Firth, for my friend, the Iman in the first question, and she was a bit reluctant to watch it because it was around 6 hours or so, but once we got started, we watched it over two days. And of course, it ended and my friend's question was: "And what happened to the rest of the sisters?" So, I guess I understand why they keep writing about them.
I hope you have a good Christmas Eve. My mother and I will go out tomorrow (being only the two of us we prefer to go out rather than stay at home on our own). I'm not sure I'll have a chance to visit, but we will see.

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

1) 6th January (2) AVENUE Q(opera)l (3) Nikolai Gogol (4) 1999 by Ringo Starr (5) "A Visit from St. Nicholas"

Debbi said...

I'm groaning from that pun! Oof! :)

1. Jan. 6
2. Avenue Q
3. Nikolai Gogol
4. Ringo Starr
5. A Visit from St. Nicholas