Wednesday 19 December 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19th December, 2018.

19th December, 2018.


Right … I’ve now officially written out my Christmas cards.

And, it has to be said: not that many of them.

I can’t afford lots: but can at least send out some.

Which is better than nothing … 

~≈§≈~

Oh, just as a point?

You’ve possibly noticed I’ve been banging on about using green screen for the Teaser videos.

You film in front of a green or blue screen: and, in post-production, remove the green bits and replace them with something else.

My usual video editing app, iMovie?

I’d love to have that screen, I’d love to see what I can do with it, and iMovie.

One thing I have found, though?   Whilst putting together some Teaser videos, last night.

The slides I use to tell you what number question you’ve got to … ?

If I use a single colour background on the slide?   I can remove: to at least make an entertaining overlay.

If you can let me know what you think … ?

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Olga on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) 19th December, 1941, saw Adolf Hitler named as Oberkommando des Heeres.   In other words, head of the high command of what?
Q2) 19th December is Liberation Day, in Goa.   Goa had been a colonial territory of which European country?
Q3) 19th December, 1945, saw the execution of John Amery: on charges of Treason.   He’s been the founder of which British Fascist group?
Q4) 19th December, 1984, saw the UK agree to hand which territory back, to China?
Q5) Finally … ?   Henry 2nd was crowned at Westminster Abbey: on 19th December, 1154.   As king of where: England, Ireland or Scotland?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 18th December is the UN’s Arabic Language Day.   Which English word comes from the Arabic, الطوبة, al-tūba?
A1) Adobe: it’s a brick: and comes to English from Arabic, via Spanish.
Q2) Which word came into English, via Swahili, from an old Arabic word meaning (roughly) ‘travel’?
A2) The old Arabic word is safar: the English word we’re after is Safari.   (Is it just me or am I seeing software?   Adobe does creative software, and created the .pdf format.   Safari is a well known web browser)
Q3) Which hideous creature eats human flesh, inhabits graveyards, and has its original appearance in the One Thousand and One Nights?
A3) The ghoul.   (The only named ghoul on Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld is Mrs Drull.   She does children’s parties …)
Q4) The tamarind is a plant whose name is derived from an Arabic term that means Indian … what?
A4) Date.
Q5) Finally … sandy deserts like the Sahara, the Rub’ al-Khali or the Australian Great Sand Desert, are all what?
A5) Ergs.   (It comes from an the Arabic word, ʿarq (عرق), that means ‘dune field‡’.)
Here’s a thought …
“To achieve harmony in bad taste is the height of elegance.”
The Thief’s Journal, Jean Genet, 19 December 1910 – 15 April 1986.
And, as the song’s about Genet?


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*       I think it refers to how Turrón’s prepared, Olga, rather than what it is!   And you’re very right about the post: I think that cards are going to take a while … !   (Oh, it’s Ergs, Olga.   They’re all over the place: apparently, the Martian ones are Undae … )

†        That it is, Debbi, that it is!   I think I’ve written about a few more Aussie films: Wolf Creek springs to mind … 

‡        Dune … ?   Argh!   Muad’Dib … !

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The German Army
Q2) Portugal
Q3) British Free Corps
Q4) Hong Kong
Q5) England
Yes, they roast the almonds to make turrón. I've never looked into it, but the story I've always heard is that it was created as a way to preserve and use up the foods available in large amounts at that time of the year. Good luck with your experiments... (I guess George Lucas's Industrial Light & Magic must also have started somewhere).

Debbi said...

Dune? Hmm ... :)

Great Bowie song! :)

1. the German Army
2. Portugal
3. the British Free Corps
4. Hong Kong
5. England