Monday 8 March 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 8-3-2021: The Fight of the Century

8th March, 2021.



Yes: there’s birdsong in the background.

Spring is slowly springing: although you wouldn’t necessarily think so by the temperature!


Here’s hoping it warms up over the next few days!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª, putting in their answers: with Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Olga and Mum on four, and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        The Fight of the Century took place: on 8th March of which year of the 1970s?

Q2)        It saw Joe Frazier fight who?

Q3)        The fight took place in Madison Square Garden: in which US city?

Q4)        How many rounds did the fight take: ten, fifteen or twenty?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Who won?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        7th March, 1989, saw the UK break diplomatic relations with Iran.   In a row about which book: Mein Kampf, The Satanic Verses or The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe?
A1)        The Satanic Verses.   (I read it, many years ago.)

Q2)        U-47 disappeared: on 7th March, 1941.   U-47 was a what: aircraft carrier, battleship or submarine?
A2)        Submarine.

Q3)        7th February, 1999, saw the death of director, Stanley Kubrick.   Which of his films starred Malcolm McDowell as Alex DeLarge?
A3)        A Clockwork Orange.

Q4)        Actor, Bryan Cranston was born: on 7th March, 1956.   He played Uncle Russell, in which series: Breaking Bad, Raising Miranda or Viper?
A4)        Raising Miranda.

Q5)        Finally?   7th March, 1952, saw the birth of sportsman, Viv Richards.   Which sport did he play for the West Indies: football, cricket or snooker?
A5)        Cricket.
Here’s a thought … 
“The Fight is widely regarded as the biggest boxing match in history and arguably the most anticipated and hyped sporting event ever.”
From the Wikipedia entry about the Fight of the Century.
And a clue … !


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Nice to know it went relatively well, Olga!   It might be worth looking at OneDrive, though: depending on the price, of course!   iCloud’s quite reasonable: I get fifty gigabytes for 79p, roughly €0.91.   
I have to admit, I did have a look at the free version of FreeOffice.   I’ll give them credit, the Mac version takes up a lot less room than LibreOffice, iWorks or MS Office.  And, although it saves as a proprietary format, it does seem to be able to save a document into older Microsoft formats: you just need to hit ‘Save As,’ rather than ‘Save.’
Oh, about the webcam … ?   Scotch tape … !   (I’m jealous: My webcam has a little light, but doesn’t pop up!)



†        I’m assuming the Sterling instructions dealt specifically with Britain’s predecimal currency, Trevor?   And is it me, or is that what they call machine code?   Literally, the numbers that go straight into the CPU, without going through a compiler, first?   I’m just betting I’ve got that wrong: I’ve got a very imperfect understanding of the subject.   But I’m vaguely reminded of Unix commands: which are a bit higher level, from what I know.   I’m reminded of them, though, because the very few I know — ls, pwd, cd, rm, mkdir — are very short, and takes up little in the way of RAM.   (So, hang on: a register would be a specific area of RAM/IAS?   Is that right?   And 11 1999 is — effectively — the Quit command?)

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        What always makes me laugh, Debbi?   Is the way Watson keeps ejaculating!


ª        Pleasure, as ever, Edith!   And You’re Only Human is powerful stuff?   Did you ever hear Clapton’s Tears in Heaven?   He lost his son in a fall: and that’s the song he wrote as result.

6 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1971

Q2) Muhammad Ali

Q3) New York

Q4) 15

Q5) Joe Frazier
Yes, I'll have to see how it goes. I have a list of other options to use as well for formatting. I have the One Drive 5MB that comes free with the Hotmail account, and I've used/had access to other Cloud Storage options over the years (you can even use Amazon to save documents, etc.), and GoogleDrive and DropBox... And, as they reminded us when I was doing the course, one can sign up for several e-mail accounts with Google (they suggested having a separate account as a teacher, which I haven't done because I wasn't using my personal one for anything), and each one comes with a separate data allowance, so there you are. I know it's the way to go and makes life easier at other levels, but I'm not a fan, especially because I don't tend to work in teams and have to share documents, etc.

trev-v said...

A1 1971
A2 Muhammad Ali
A3 New York City
A4 15
A5 Joe Frazier

Yes that is 1301 Machine code the first of many computer languages the I became fluent in.
Yes the sterling instructions were for £SD because we did not go decimal until 1971 and I was programming in 1965.
11 1999 was by convention end of program but other stop numbers were used to get the operators to do things.

1 other thing about the 1301 it had 10 physical switches and 10 programmable switches which could be tested by code. The manual switches were set by the operators to indicate that the program was to do certain things such as indicating first run of the tax year on payroll programs.

Over my 40+ years in IT I learned many programming Languages for many different types of computers.

There is an ICT 1301 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFgy_TdVjs


Freda said...

1 1971
2 Muhammad Ali
3 New York
4 15
5 Joe Frazier

angelfrmcanada said...

1. 1971
2. Muhammad Ali
3. New York City
4. Fifteen
5. Joe Frazier

We're going to have spring weather here, for a few days, and then right back to cold temperatures.

Debbi said...

Oh, my goodness! :) Or by jove, she ejaculated! :)

1. 1971
2. Muhammad Ali
3. New York City
4. fifteen
5. Joe Frazier

Edith said...

1 1973
2.Muhamad Ali
3. New York
4. 15
5. Muhamad Ali

Tears In Heaven is a poignant song.

Have you heard this tribute? Quiet Please, There's A Lady On Stage https://youtu.be/7fP6IX7PLic