Sunday 7 March 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 7th March, 2021.

7th March, 2021.


Yep: that’s odd … !

There’s no birdsong!

There’s an unnerving lack of tweeting going on.

That’s … 

That’s definitely odd!

~≈😳≈~

You’re not in the UK, are you?

If you are, you’ve possibly seen this piece on the BBC’s news site: about a woman called Sarah Everard.

She disappeared on Wednesday night, walking home through Clapham Common.

Can I make a confession?

I’m think we’re going to see reports of a body being found.

Mostly?

Because this report reminds me — a lot — of the late 1970s: when Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, was active.

His victims were all women, on their own, who were out at night.

As were many of the victims of killers, Steve Wright and Levi Bellfield.

I hope the young woman who’s missing is alive: and hiding for whatever reason.

But I’ve a nasty suspicion she’s dead … 

I can only hope that — if that IS the case? — her attacker is caught quickly.

~≈😔≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª, putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Edith on three, and Mum on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        7th March, 1989, saw the UK break diplomatic relations with Iran.   In a row about which book: Mein Kampf, The Satanic Verses or The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe?

Q2)        U-47 disappeared: on 7th March, 1941.   U-47 was a what: aircraft carrier, battleship or submarine?

Q3)        7th February, 1999, saw the death of director, Stanley Kubrick.   Which of his films starred Malcolm McDowell as Alex DeLarge?

Q4)        Actor, Bryan Cranston was born: on 7th March, 1956.   He played Uncle Russell, in which series: Breaking Bad, Raising Miranda or Viper?

Q5)        Finally? 7th March, 1952, saw the birth of sportsman, Viv Richards.   Which sport did he play for the West Indies: football, cricket or snooker?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        6th March, 1964, saw Constantine 2nd start his reign: as the last king of which European country?
A1)        Greece.

Q2)        6th March, 1984, saw the start of of a UK strike by whom: coal miners, steelworkers or train drivers?
A2)        Coal miners.

Q3)        6th March, 1974, saw the end of a UK strike by whom: coal miners, steelworkers or train drivers?
A3)        Coal miners.

Q4)        6th March is the Day of the Dude: a celebration in Dudeism.   The faux religion is inspired by a Jeff Bridges character in which film: True Grit, Starman or The Big Lebowski?
A4)        The Big Lebowski.   (If Debbi gets this wrong … )

Q5)        Finally … ?   6th March is the feast day of Saint Colette of Corbie.   Her major shrine is in which European country: Andorra, Belgium or France?
A5) Belgium. In Ghent, apparently.
Here’s a thought …
“Insanity is a very high art form. If everyone was insane, I wouldn’t be here!”
Rik Mayall, 7 March 1958 – 9 June 2014.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        He is?   Olga, if you could mention that to Jude, I’d be grateful: every little helps!   And that sounds familiar: my iMac, and my new phone, got to me pretty damn quickly!   I think technology companies don’t like leaving expensive technology sitting around!
Good luck setting it up.   And, if you’ve got an iTunes playlist that refuses to shift … ?   You can always burn it to CD, and stick it in the new machine assuming it’s got a CD drive!

†        Good GODS!   How on Earth did you type commands into that thing, Trevor?   Oh, wait, punch card, yes?   Boy, I’m glad someone invented the keyboard!
What were the numbers at the front of each of the commands, out of interested?   BASIC used line numbers: those aren’t, I’m assuming?
(Apparently, one of those machines was used in an episode of Blake’s Seven.)

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Oooh, I think we’re going to have to disagree, there, Debbi!   My generation grew up on Jeremy Brett’s totally berserk version of Sherlock!


ª        Likewise, Edith, it’s always nice to swap tunes!   Did you ever hear Joel’s Goodnight, Saigon?   I heard it for the first time, before a friend joined the army.   The song took on a whole new meaning when he got assigned to Afghanistan!

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Satanic Verses

Q2) Submarine

Q3) A Clockwork Orange

Q4) Breaking Bad

Q5) Cricket
Well, I'm here! And using the new computer! The main issue was when I tried to transfer the files. Not so far the transfer (not that complicated) but the fact that Windows decided that I wanted to transfer everything into OneDrive, and, of course, I ran out of space there. When I realised what the problem was, I just moved it elsewhere (it had happened before, so it didn't take me long), but although I'm sure I'll have to set up some of the Apps I had before as I go along and need them, I expected worse. I don't keep a lot of big files and don't have a playlist, so it wasn't complicated. I don't even have that many pictures, so, as I told you, memory isn't usually a problem (written files don't use up that much.
I was going to try Word for free, but it seems that is not an option here in Spain. I checked it out and realised because I'd access Microsoft.com rather than the option here, things were different. It kept trying to make me buy 365 and try it for free for a month, but I didn't accept. I'm trying Free Office for now, and although I haven't given it much of a go, we shall see. I wasn't sure if it would allow me to save the documents I use for the radio station (as they still use an old version of Word), but in theory, it should work (and there's also Google documents). I guess it will take me time to get used to it, but it might help keep my brain going.
Getting everything adjusted to what I was used to will take a bit of time, but hopefully, I'll survive (did I tell you it has a webcam hidden in one of the keys? You can make it pop up when you need it, but it should be great for people who get paranoid about others watching...).

trev-v said...

A1 The Satanic Verses
A2 submarine
A3 A Clockwork Orange
A4 Raising Miranda
A5 cricket

The numbers are the actual Instructions and the wording was an attempt to show you what the meant with out blowing your brains

37 2000 transferred the 12 numeric digit word held in word 2000 of I.A.S. to register B.

IAS is now called RAM.

11 1999 would halt the program and display 11 2000 on 6 sets of 4 lights on the console. The operator would have to work out the binary number and look at the operating Instructions to see what too do next. 2000 normally mean successful end of program.

Here is the full set of operation codes.

http://ict1301.co.uk/13010310.htm

Note the 2 types of arithmetic Instructions – decimal and Sterling.
The 12 digit words were numeric 0 – 9 and 10 & 11 each in a single digit.
The coding of letters was complex . Basically you had zones and numerics to make a letter. These could be coded as a 12 digit word of zones followed by a 12 digit word of numerics or the first 6 digit of a word the zones and the last 6 digits the numerics. There was one other way of storing letters and that was 1 digit zone and next digit numeric repeated across the word.

Freda said...

1 The Satanic Verses
2 Submarine
3 A Clockwork Orange
4 Breaking Bad
5 Cricket

Debbi said...

I can't really argue with your choice of Sherlock actor, because he was also awesome. It's just that I have great memories of watching Basil Rathbone in the part. :) As well as Nigel Bruce, as Watson.

And first impressions are lasting.

BTW, I love Benedict Cumberbatch in the role. Not to mention Martin Freeman, who's adorable in any part! :)

1. The Satanic Verses
2. submarine
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Raising Miranda
5. cricket

Edith said...

1.Satanic Verses
2. Battleship
3.Clockwork Orange
4. Breaking Bad
5. Cricket

Hi Paul. Yes, I do remeber that song. I remeber when it was released. it is very powerful. Thank you for sharing it and your story with me.

Billy Joel wrote another powerful song called Only Human. Sadly as I understand, it was inspired by the suicide of the child of a friend of his.


https://youtu.be/YhxjNYvJbgM