Saturday 20 March 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20th March, 2021.

20th March, 2021.


It’s official: I’ve done a thing … !

A thing of great significance and joy: that will have implications for ALL HUMANITY!

OK: I’m possibly overcooking the significance, there.

All I’ve done — last night, with my main hard drive started running out of space — was shift my Photos library from my main drive, to my main external drive.

Granted?   It’s a change that I always feel nervous about making.

And granted, that means they won’t be backed up to my Time Machine back up drive*.

But?   Copies of the photos are still stored on iCloud.

And I have more space for photos.

~≈🖱≈~

That’s a thought: Facebook’s just thrown this advert at me.


‘Did you know why that … ?’

‘We have sat down with the person of a popular website …’

You’d think Facebook would provide a proofreader as part of its service!

Whoever wrote the text of that advert, needed one!

~≈🧑🏻‍💻≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Trevor‡, Mum^, Debbiª and Edithº‚ putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor, Debbi and Mum scoring five out of five, and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        The US Food and Drug Administration approved AZT: on 20th March, 1987.   AZT is used to treat what: Diabetes, HIV/AIDS or Lung Cancer?

Q2)        Shunbun no Hi takes place: on 20th March, 2021.   It’s a public holiday, celebrating the Vernal Equinox.   Where: Japan, China or Thailand?

Q3)        20th March, 1956, saw Tunisia become independent.   From where: France, Germany or Spain?

Q4)        20th March is the Feast day of Saint Cuthbert of Lindisfarne.   Lindisfarne is also known as Holy what: lake, island or forest?

Q5)        Finally … ?   20th March, 1950, saw the birth of actor, William Hurt.   In which William Russell film does he play Dr. Edward ‘Eddie’ Jessup?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        19th March, 2021, is Red Nose Day.   Red Nose Day is usually held: every two years, every three years or every four years?
A1)        Every two years.

Q2)        The last Red Nose Day was in which year?
A2)        2019.

Q3)        You can buy a Red Nose to mark the day.   The cost is donated to charity.   This year’s Red Noses are free of what: plastic, red dye or cheese?
A3)        There’s no cheese.   But the answer I’m after?   Is Plastic.   This year’s noses are made from easily recyclable sugar cane based fibre.   Wikipedia says it’s pith.   Which is a bit strong.

Q4)        The organisation that runs Red Nose Day?   Is Comic … what?
A4)        Comic Relief.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Red Nose Day was founded by scriptwriter, Richard Curtis, and comedian, Lenny … who?
A5)        Lenny Henry.   (I’d like to see more of his Dr Who character, Daniel Barton.   You can read my reviews, here and here.)
Here’s a thought … 
“I am not an actor.   I’m just a man who likes acting.”
William Hurt, born 20th March, 1950.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        In theory?   I can use Time Machine to back up any number of external drives, along side my main drive.   Sadly?   My Time Machine drive doesn’t have enough space.

†        I’ll definitely keep my fingers crossed, Olga!   The sooner the drains are fixed, the better!   On a related front: remember the building where the local phone masts had been?   The covers are off, and the renovation’s finished.   Whether they put the masts back, is a whole other issue …
Masks with built in red noses?   Now why didn’t I think of that?   That could’ve earned a few quid!   You’re right, they didn’t do one like that!
Oh, JUST in case Jordi and Little Anna end up reading this post?   The Simple English Wikipedia entry about backups can be found, here!   And it’s not as simple as it could be!

‡       I know they’ve banned a few tunes over the years, Trevor: Lulu’s Boom-bang-a-bang got banned during the Gulf War.   And don’t mention Relax!   (The barmaid has a wardrobe malfunction: in the one roomful of men who aren’t going to notice.)



^        Hello, Mum!

ª        Possibly, Debbi!   It’s got to be said, though, recent Red Nones Days aren’t as edgy as the original Days.   They were … edgy!   Anything that featured the Young Ones was REALLY edgy!   (Oh, the short chap with the dark glasses is Christopher Ryan: better known as General Staal, the Sontaran … )


º        The Dalek one was always my favourite, Edith.   It took a while, though!

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 HIV/AIDS
A2 Japan
A3 France
A4 Island
A5 Altered States

After playing your intro video I get given the option to try other YouTube videos which I sometimes watch. The other day I watched one on Herman Goring’s armoured train. The total weight of all the coaches took two locomotives to pull.

Today I watched a tribute to Emma Peel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtYckLIZnI


Olga said...

Q1)HIV/AIDS

Q2) Japan

Q3) France

Q4) Island. Well-worth a visit, if you haven’t been.

Q5) Altered States
Thanks, Paul. The article will be helpful, for sure, although you're right, these things are never as easy as the people who write them seem to think (for some reason, I sometimes find the complex explanations a bit more logical, or at least, if something goes wrong they usually give you a better understanding or more of an option)... Well, we'll have to keep the idea of the red nose mask for the future (somehow, I suspect it will be needed in the future).
They finished the work on the drains, although as this is the third time they've come to sort the problem, we aren't holding our collective breath here, and are keeping our eyes peeled. It's good to know you managed OK with your own backup...

Freda said...

1 hiv/aids
2 China
3 France
4 Island
5 Altered States
4

Debbi said...

Well, I'll definitely have to check that out! :)

1. HIV/AIDS
2. Japan
3. France
4. Island
5. Altered States

Edith said...

1. HIV/AIDS
2. Japan
3. Spain
4. Island
5. Children of a Lesser God

That Dalek one sounds especially interesting.

Spring is here! I am so glad.