Monday 1 March 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 1-3-2021: Saint David’s Day

1st March, 2021.




Right … I have to go to town, today.

Believe it or not?

I have to pick up some medication.

I got most to on Saturday, to be honest with you.

But there’s alway’s that one last box of jollop … 

~≈💊≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi on five out of five, Edith on four, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        1st March is Saint David’s Day.   Saint David is the patron saint of Wales: and Naas.   Naas is a town in which Irish county: County Kildare, County Carlow or County Wexford?

Q2)        The largest tradition Saint David’s Day parade takes place in the Welsh capital.   What’s that capital called?

Q3)        The Het Gymreig is a traditional Welsh what: hat, skirt or shawl?

Q4)        The Mabinogion is an ancient collection of Welsh stories.   One of the stories in the Mabinogion was about King … who?

Q5)        Finally … ?   What’s Saint David’s symbol: a daffodil, leek or sheep?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        28th February is Kalevala Day.   In which European country: Finland, Greenland or Denmark?
A1)        Finland.   (Kullervo’s story?   Is moving.   His tale’s said to inspired stories by Tolkien, and Moorcock’s Elric.)

Q2)        28th February is Día de Andalucía: Andalusia Day, in other words.   Andalusia is in which European country: Portugal, Spain or France?
A2)        Spain.   (Much like Catalonia, it’s an autonomous region of Spain.)

Q3)        Benedict 16th resigned on 28th February, 2013.   As what: Pope, Archbishop of Canterbury or Duke of York?
A3)        Pope.

Q4)        28th February, 1925, saw the birth of actor, Harry H. Corbett.   He co-starred with Wilfred Brambell, in Steptoe and Son.   Who played the father, Steptoe senior?
A4)        Wilfred Bramble. (By contrast, Harry H. Corbett played the son, Harold.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Singer, Cindy Wilson, was born on 28th February, 1957.   She was a founder member of which band?
A5)        The B52s.   (Her older brother, Ricky, was also a founder member: and one of the first rock stars I know, to have died of HIV/AIDS.)
Here’s a motto … 
“Cymru am byth.”
“Wales Forever.”
Welsh motto.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        So long as it’s a nice healthy sized bit of cod, Olga?   I’m happy!
On the computer front?   If you’re using Google Drive a lot, have you thought about a Chromebook?   You’d definitely need an external drive, as their hard drives are really small.   But I’m told they’re seriously cheap.   And most computer companies offer an educational discount of some sort.   You’re right, we’ll have to see!
Oh, did I tell you I’ve a sledge hammer?   Especially for those dratted apostrophes!

†        I can imagine, Trevor!   (You know, the staff at the Hutton used to be rather good … !)

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        I’ve not seen it, either, Debbi: but I had heard the reference.   And I’ve always thought Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was a version of Gunsmoke: or possibly Deadwood.   Ben Sisko’s the federal Marshal, Odo and Kira are the Sheriffs, Chief O’Brien’s the blacksmith, and Quark runs the brothel.   I’m assuming Gul Dukat’s an Confederate General … !   Quite what that makes the Jem’hadar, I don’t know.
UK sci-fi usually doesn’t work quite the same way: Dr Who’s a nod to Wells’ time traveller, and Sapphire and Steel’s a police procedural.
(I always got the impression Wilfred Brambell could be … um … contradictory!)

ª        Cheers, Edith!   Glad to hear you’re enjoying it!   (Oh, my lord, waltz time!   You don’t hear that these days!)

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 County Kildare
A2 Cardiff
A3 Hat
A4 Arthur
A5 daffodil

Ah Wales. I may have been born in Scunthorpe but I was conceived in Llandudno North Wales according to my late mother.

I remember watching Wagon Train in good old black and white when I was a kid. British telly had load of American programs on back then. Plenty of cowboy/ western shows but also comedy shows like “Car 42 where are you”

Olga said...

Q1) County Kildare
Q2) Cardiff
Q3) Hat
Q4) It seems that there are several stories that refer or mention King Arthur, but there are four linked stories that tell about a King Pryderi (although there is also the King of the Underwold, the King of Britain, Bendigeidfran (aka Brân the Blessed), Manawydan, the rightful king of Britain…) So, I don’t know if Pryderi is the one you had in mind, as he appears or is mentioned in several stories, and as I said, Arthur or his court are the setting for several others, and there are other kings.
Q5) I think you’re asking about the leek, although I’ve read it’s the dove, but hey…
Thanks for the suggestion. It's an idea. I don't think I've ever seen a Chromebook in person, but I'll investigate (cheap sounds good, and I don't use them for anything too taxing or technically complicated so...)

Freda said...

1 Wexford
2 Cardiff
3 Hat
4 King Dyfed
5 Daffadil
5 Leek

Debbi said...

I only know Wilfred Brambell from the Beatles' movie. He made quite an impression, I guess. :)

1. County Kildare
2. Cardiff
3. hat
4. Arthur
5. leek

Edith said...

1.County Kildaire
2. Cardiff
3. shawl
4. Mab
5.Leek

Thank you for the kay Star Video.

https://youtu.be/PgRafRp-P-o Do you remember this song?