Monday 29 March 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29th March, 2021.

29th March, 2021.


With Radio Four’s Today programme blithering on in the background — Martha Carney’s doing her Serious Interview thing — and a game of Mini Metro doing its twinkling ambient music thing?


With all that … I have to admit to feeling just ever so slightly tired!

That’s what happens when you do late night blogging about Disney serials … 


The night before you have to do a phone meeting with your Work and Health Programme!

Oy veh … !

~≈⏰≈~

Just as a final thought?

I’ve got Le Guin’s The Lathe of Heaven as my current bedtime reading.   Two chapters in?   And I’m amazed at her prose: again.

I’ve mentioned it because mentioning Billy Bragg to Old Peculiar regular, Edith, always gets me thinking of George Orwell.

I’ve got Down and Out in Paris and London as my next bit of bedtime reading.

~≈📖≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on three and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        29th March, 1974, saw the Mariner 10 probe fly past where: Mercury or Venus?

Q2)        Jennifer Capriati was born: on 29th March, 1976.   She plays what?

Q3)        Wayne Gretzky scored the last goal of his career: on 29th March, 1999.   What did he play: Canadian Rules football, Kabaddi or ice hockey?

Q4)        29th March, 1981, saw London hold its first what: Olympic Games, Marathon or Beer festival?

Q5)        Finally … ?   29th March, 1869, saw the birth of architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens.   The Cenotaph in Whitehall was designed by him: and was built in the wake of which War: WW1 or WW2?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        28th March saw the birth of Stefani Germanotta: also known as Lady Gaga.   In which year of the 1980s?
A1)        1986.

Q2)        Her first album was released in 2008.   What was it called: The Fame, Born This Way or Artpop?
A2)        The Fame.

Q3)        Her first UK №1 was in 2008: and called Justwhat
A3)        Just Dance.

Q4)        Gaga played Ally Maine in the Oscar winning film, A Star Is Born.   What Oscar did the film win: Best Picture, Best Actress or Best Original Song?
A4)        Best Original Song.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Gaga played the Countess in the fifth series of American Horror Story.   That fifth series is known as what: AHS: Hotel, AHS: Asylum, or AHS: 1984?
A5)        AHS: Hotel.
Here’s a thought … 
“What the world really needs is more love and less paper work.”
Pearl Bailey, March 29, 1918 – August 17, 1990.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.


*        “They manage to paint young boys very well …”  There’s a LOT I could be saying, there, Trevor: the Vatican’s picked up a reputation!
They used to do exhibitions in Brentwood Library, too: I don’t know if there’s been any recently … 

†        Yep: I think we’ve found Trevor, Olga: he was lunching with ladies!   Moving to Myanmar … ?   There’s been reports of aerial bombings: and shootings at funerals.   Dear lord … 
At any rate, I’ve noticed you lurking on Instagram!   I’m enjoying it.   OK, some of my photos are a bit same, I grant … but it’s nice to air them … 
(Did I mention I got a comment on yesterday’s Lady Gaga video?   In Spanish?   Google Translate managed told me it wasn’t very flattering.)


‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Oh, VERY true, Debbi!   (I’ve actually removed a comment from yesterday’s Lady Gaga teaser video.   It wasn’t being exactly flattering.   I’d hate to have something defamatory on my videos …)

ª        That she was, Edith, that she was: her death was quite a loss.   Billy Bragg’s been around for a while: he’s sort of a UK equivalent of Woody Guthrie, or Bob Dylan.   Very left wing, and does a lot of political stuff.   Between The Wars is quite song.

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Mercury

Q2) Tennis

Q3) ice hockey

Q4) Marathon

Q5) WW1
Some people seemed very hopeful that the health crisis would change things on a larger scale, but they were pretty naive, it seems. I don't think I mentioned that I had to cover a guided walk for the radio on Saturday morning (that was why I mentioned I'd been busy), and the guide, an author who'd recently published a historical novel set in Barcelona between 1909 and 1919 or thereabouts, was talking about el Paral·lel (a pretty special avenue in Barcelona where a lot of the theatres were [not so many left now] that runs parallel to the equator, hence the name) and the historical period, and mentioned what was done at the time of the "Spanish" flu (it wasn't Spanish, really, but anyhow), and of course, it was pretty similar to what is being done now, even without knowing about the virus and lacking vaccines, and, as we know, nothing changed too much...)
Oh, I was going to check the comment, but I see you've removed it. Sometimes Google Translate can be pretty inaccurate, but then, the world is also full of idiots so...
Good luck with the call.

trev-v said...

A1 Mercury
A2 Tennis
A3 NHL – National Hockey League Ice Hockey to you.
A4 London Marathon . I went to the first CAMRA beer festival in the 1970’s in the freshly emptied Covent Market.
A5 WW1

That was Penny’s Artistic Critique after a view of some of the pictures and it is known that many Italian Medieval painters were gay.

British Summer Time was Invented during WW1. It was passed into law in 1916.

I am on here and on Facebook and that is going to be it. I have started to investigate my new phone and have managed to take a couple of photos (1 being a selfie) and send an email. Yet to find out how to make a phone call or send a text. It may take me a few months to get used to it.

Freda said...

1 Venus
2 Tennis
3 Ice Hockey
4 Marathon
5 WW1

Debbi said...

I'd forgotten about that song "A New England" by Kirsty McColl, which I love. I also had no idea she'd died the way she did. So sad! :(

1. Mercury
2. tennis
3. ice hockey
4. Marathon
5. WWI

Edith said...

1 Mercury
2. Tennis
3. Ice hockey
4. Marathon
5. WW1

https://youtu.be/9jx1A2XiUXI