Friday 12 March 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 12th March, 2021.

12th March, 2021.


I know, I know … !

We have birdsong!

It’s got to be said, that’s still a lovely thing to hear.

One of these days?

I’ll have to ask my landlords if I can put a bird box up.

I used to live in what was Brentwood’s maternity hospital: now a set of council run bedsits near Shenfield Common.

And there was a gap in the roof, above my main window, that birds would nest in.

I’m blowed if I could tell you what kind of birds: beyond saying ‘small ones!’

But I miss the singing, in the mornings.

~≈Á≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Mum†, Olga‡, Debbi^ and Edithª‚ putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on three and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, 12th March, 2020, saw the US Government suspend travel.   From where: Europe, Africa or South America?

Q2)        Liza Minelli was born on 12th March, 1946.   Judy Garland was her mother.   Who was Liza’s father?

Q3)        Singer, David Daniels, was born on 12th March, 1966.   Is he a baritone, tenor or countertenor?

Q4)        Sir Terry Pratchett died: on 12th March, 2015.   What was the name of his first Discworld novel: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic or Equal Rites?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Jack Kerouac was born: on 12th March, 1922.   In a town in which US state?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        11th March saw the birth of former Prime Minister, Harold Wilson.   In which year?
A1)        1916.

Q2)        In which year of the 1960s, did he first become Prime Minister?
A2)        1964.

Q3)        From 1970 to 1974, Harold was leader of which O?
A3)        The Opposition.

Q4)        He became Prime Minister for the second time, in 1974.   What was his official London residence, as Prime Minister?
A4)        10, Downing Street.   (Various PMs since then, have lived in the flat above Number 11: the Official residence of the Chancellor of the Exchequer.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   As Prime Minister, Harold Wilson would have chaired what: the Board of Trade, the Cabinet or the United Grand Lodge of England?
A5)        The Cabinet.
Here’s a thought …
“I had tremendously interesting childhood years - except they had little to do with being a child.”
Liza Minelli, born 12th March, 1946.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        You know, I’m convinced they did something similar with The Omen, Trevor: I believe they were going to call the Gregory Peck character, Jeremy Thorn.   Then changed it to Robert in the wake of the Jeremy Thorpe scandal … 

†        Hello, Mum!   I think I’ve a copy of Made In Dagenham, somewhere, Mum … 

‡        That it is, Olga, that it is.   There’s now a fuss about a case of indecent exposure involving the officer.   And, apparently, the suspect was hospitalised … after injuring his head in custody.   (He was in his cell, on his own, at the time.   Apparently.)

^        Glad to help, Debbi.   You get mugs and conics, as well.   And don’t ask about the head on beer.   As I recall, the various regulations allowed for a larger head in the north of England, then you get in the south.
I know President Biden’s looking a a large aid package, Debbi.   Would he be doing something about Obamacare?   From the little I understood, that’s the newest the US got to an NHS … 

ª        That’s ok, Edith: transferring VHS to a modern video format is tricky.   It would’ve cost the uploader a lot, doing that.   And I never knew the Beach Boys did a version of Crocodile Rock!   They look like they were having fun!   They did a good job at Live Aid: they were the best act of the US end!   (Madonna wasn’t bad, either.)


5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Europe

Q2) Vincente Minnelli

Q3) Countertenor

Q4) The Colour of Magic

Q5) Massachusetts
Well, yes... I watch sometimes a TV show about emergency cases in the US, and some of the shenanigans prisoners get up to when they go to hospital can be quite spectacular. Although I'll never forget the time when I was going to check if I had managed to get into medical school (the medical school I went to was, and is, at the back of a hospital, the Hospital Clínic of Barcelona). I was with a friend, and we met a student I knew who had also applied in the way there and she told me I had got in even before we reached the hospital, but, of course, I wanted to see it with my own eyes, and as we were about to reach the back of the hospital (where the entry to the medical school was located), a man "dressed" on a typical hospital gown, opened at the back and all, and I think barefoot, went by running with two uniformed policemen in hot pursuit, shooting into the air (yes, they carry guns here). My friend looked at me and asked me if I was sure I wanted to study there. The main Barcelona prison was very nearby (it has been decommissioned since), and the hospital was the de fact prison hospital as well, and I treated a few prisoners while I was in training there. The funniest thing used to be that they always came asking to be fed, but many of them came with stomach complaints, and some had even stabbed themselves with something in the belly (I remember a Bic plastic pen once), and, of course, they would have to fast in case they needed an operation or tests, so it didn't work so well for them.
I enjoyed Made in Dagenham. I hope you find your copy. Your Mum would probably enjoy it as well, if she hasn't seen it.

trev-v said...

A1 Europe
A2 Vincente Minnelli
A3 countertenor
A4 The Colour of Magic or in the USA The Color of Magic
A5 Massachusetts

During yesterday’s gales I had a front garden full of large plastic objects. The largest was a 6 foot long tool locker with it’s detached lid along side it. I do not know where that blew in from but during the day some one came and collected it. I did have a green rubbish bin belonging to one of my neighbours and a couple of the dark blue outdoor kitchen waste caddies there too.

Good to have a clutter free lawn today.


Freda said...

1 Europe
2 Vincent Minelli
3 Tenor
4 The Light Fantastic
5 Lowell, Massachusetts

Debbi said...

Yes, well ... we'll see what they do with that.

I'm cautiously hopeful, but that's about it.

He's certainly better than that Orange Guy!

1. Europe
2. Vincente Minnelli
3. countertenor
4. The Colour of Magic (I didn't even have to Google it) (Rincewind and the Luggage! I remember it.)
5. Massachusetts

Edith said...

1. Europe
2.Vincent Minelli
3. Countertenor
4. Colour OF Magic
5. Idaho

This was my mom's favorite music video.

https://youtu.be/J08ZwySCoJ8