Wednesday 31 March 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 31-3-2021: World Backup Day

31st March, 2021.


Yes: it’s WEDNESDAY!

That means exercise!

I had an appointment with a physio-therapist: who’s prescribed a set of five-day-on, two-days-off, exercises.

Rather simple ones, thankfully.


I am — metaphorically — back on the treadmill.


~≈🐶≈~

Not that it make’s much difference … but I’ve been shielding for the past few weeks.

It’s not been that much different to the rest of Lockdown.

However?

It comes to an end, today.

Quite what the implications are?

I don’t know.

But it coincides with a general easing of lockdown.

To be completely honest with you, though?

I’m just looking forward to the non-essential shops re-opening.

I’d like to have a haircut at some point!

~≈💈≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Edith^ and Debbiª and putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga, and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        31st March is World Backup Day.   You’re supposed to back up your what: computer, car or movie collection?

Q2)        Many backups are made to an external what: shed, petrol tank or hard drive?

Q3)        You can back things up, online.   In other words, to the what: cloud, sky or space?

Q4)        Backups can restore an item.   Especially if it’s been attacked by what: malicious software, hedgehogs or bananas?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Apple devices use a what, to back things up: a car, an iPhone or a Time Machine?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        30th March, 1905, saw the birth of Albert Pierrepoint.   He was one of Britain’s best known what: hangmen, policemen or cheesemakers?
A1)        Hangmen.

Q2)        30th March, 1841, saw the National Bank of Greece open.   What’s the current currency of Greece?
A2)        The Euro.

Q3)        Sir William Crookes announced he’d discovered thallium: on 30th March, 1861.   Is thallium a metal or non metal?
A3)        A metal.

Q4)        Morocco became a French protectorate on 30th March, 1912.   Morocco is on which continent: Africa, Europe or Asia?
A4)        Africa.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Vincent van Gogh was born on 30th March, 1853.   Which nationality was he: Dutch, German or French?
A5)        Dutch.
Here’s a thought … 
“World Backup Day is kind of like Valentine’s Day — part of its popularity is driven by companies that want to sell you stuff.”
And a song …


That’s got a Parental Advisory, so you know.

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        That reminds me, Olga, I really need to check that film out.   We’ll have to see.   I had a look for El Paral-lel on Wikipedia: there’s a lot going on, there!   It sounds like Barcelona’s built on Barcelona: rather than soil … 
Sounds like Juan had a whale of a time at the Mermaid.   I can sympathise: there’s a hell of a lot of camaraderie back stage: greasepaint or otherwise.   Us ushers lost out, after Barnum was cancelled, so I know how he felt!
Oh … I’ve tweeted you a video.   I had the first line of the chorus burnt into my head … !   Paul Nicolas was Barnum when I was at the Dominion: he’s a better singer than Jim Dale!   Oh … I’ve an earwormº!


†        I’ll have to try that, Trevor … at some point.   Oh, today’s set should be easy … 

‡        Hello, Mum.

^        I can say the same, myself, Edith!   And cheers for the tune!   Didn’t Charlie Pride die, late last year?   That’s sad to hear: even though I didn’t know that much about the man.

ª        Oh, that it is, Debbi: Kirsty was quite a talent.   (About question 5 …)

º        It’s amazing to see Come Follow The Band, live.   In the Dominion version, the tuba player starts at the back of the auditorium, with the other instruments joining one by one: as all march to the stage.   It is quite something to watch!

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Computer
A2 hard drive
A3 cloud
A4 malicious software
A5 a Time Machine

I remember when I started in Computing(mid 1960’s) that we backed up to ½ inch tapes. For each type of back up we used 3 generations --- Grandfather, Father and son. Programs were kept on Program Library tapes with the same 3 generational system. Some of the tapes were copied and held off site for extra security.

From the main Wikipedia page today.

. that Andy Crosby captained Scunthorpe United to victory in the 2009 League One play-off Final, the last match of his 715-game career?



Olga said...

Q1) Your computer

Q2) Hard drive

Q3) Cloud

Q4) Malicious software

Q5) Time Machine
Lovely! Thanks! Yes, I can imagine it must be fabulous to be behind the scenes and know what goes on. (I don't know if you've ever watched Noises Off, but it's fabulous, as you get to see the play from the front and the back as it were). I remember a play by a company here, called la Cubana, that worked on an interesting premise. You got to the theatre and saw what was the ending of a variety performance, and then you stayed and saw what went on when the lights were off (of course, these were the actors playing the parts of the rest of the staff, but it was great fun, and they always made the public play a part... a bit like a pantomime, but not quite).
Yes, there are never-ending stories about Barcelona as well.
Good luck with the slight opening. Here... Well, we shall see. Not looking too good, but my mother got the first dose of the vaccine today. So that's something.

Freda said...

1 Computer
2 Hard drive
3 Cloud
4 Malicious software
5 iphone

Debbi said...

Thank you for a relatively easy teaser. To write the answers for and otherwise. :)

1. computer
2. hard drive
3. cloud
4. malicious software
5. a Time Machine (but not a Tardis) :)

BTW, you got a shout out on one of my Crime Cafe bonus episodes for telling me about Terry Pratchett! I'd never read him before meeting you. What a loss that would've been for me!

Edith said...

1. computer
2. Hard drive
3. cloud
4. Malicious Software.
5. I phone


Yes, he reportedly died of covid. He is one of my favorite singers.