Thursday 16 June 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th June, 2022.

16th June, 2022.


I love emails.

Well, that’s possibly too strong a way of putting it.

They’re something I find handy.

So, waking up this morning: and opening my email client to find it wasn’t downloading them?

Was a bit annoying!

A quick check with Downdetector shows there’s been issues, there.


I imagine we’ll never find out what happened, there: but I’d love to find out.

~≈É≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.


 Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The Switchback Railway opened on 16th June, 1884.   What was it: a merry-go-round, love boat or roller coaster?

Q2)        It was the first such item, where: Coney Island, Thorpe Park or Hansa Park?

Q3)        In Star Trek: The Next Generation, 16th June is Picard Day.   Who plays Captain Picard, in Star Trek: The Next Generation?

Q4)        The first Disneyland in mainland China opened on 16th June, 2016.   In which Chinese city: Beijing, Shanghai or Chengdu?

Q5)        Finally … ?   16th June is the feast day of Saint Benno.   He’s the patron saint of whom: weavers, tailors, soldiers or sailors?
Yesterday’s answers are in today’s video.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        15th June, 2012, saw Nik Wallenda become the first person to successfully tightrope walk over what: the River Thames, the Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon?
A1)        The Niagara Falls.

Q2)        Xi Jinping was born on 15th June, 1953.   He’s the current president of where: China, Taiwan or Vietnam?
A2)        China.

Q3)        As 15th June is National Beer Day.   Beer is usually serve in pints in the UK.   How many fluid ounces are in a UK pint: 10, 15 or 20?
A3)        20.

Q4)        15th June is the feast day of Abraham of Clermont.   Clermont is in which European country: France, Belgium or Luxembourg?
A4)        France.   (The place is now called Clermont-Ferrand.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   15th June saw Arkansas admitted to the USA.   15th June of which year of the 1830s?
A5)        1836.   (I think I’m due a ten question set about the place.   The state song could be interesting.)
Here’s a thought … 
“The object of golf is not just to win. It is to play like a gentleman, and win.”
Phil Mickelson (born June 16, 1970).
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        Oh, yes: The IT Crowd’s just the thing, Olga.   You knew I worked in a call centre, yes?   On day shifts, we’d get calls for the IT department: and literally had to ask that question!
        Asimov’s generally worth a go, I think: at least, the few of his books I’ve read are.   The Three Laws, in particular, are some of the most influential words in science fiction.   It’s the first time someone had written robot stories … where the robots had a safety feature!   The movie itself is quite good: and a reasonable version of the book.   Avoid the Will Smith version of I, Robot, though: it’s got very little to do with the book!


        Hello, Mum!

        Yeah, I’ve been to a few of those, Debbi!   (Oh, I’ll be watching the last episode of Star Trek Discovery season four, tomorrow.   Means I can get to season two of Picard, next!)


4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) A roller coaster

Q2) Coney Island

Q3) Patrick Stewart (I think I must have mentioned before that I saw him on stage, in New York, on Ride Down Mount Morgan, a play by Arthur Miller. Not a play I particularly like (I didn’t think that much of the production either, but it is a weird play, especially for Miller), but the woman I was travelling with had written an essay about that play and was fond of it. It was interesting, that’s for sure.

Q4) Shanghai

Q5) Weavers (fishermen as well, but you mentioned sailors and that’s not the same, although...)
That must have been fun! My cousin John, who has worked with computers most of his life, was very eager to see how the IT Crowd would be, and he thought it was pretty accurate. (I think the funniest bit I saw, but I didn't watch many episodes, so...) was one sketch where she had to go to a smoking shelter that seemed to be in the middle of a highway, miles and miles away from the office, but she was dressed and the whole thing looked, as if they were in the middle of deep peasant Russia... It was hilarious, especially because some of the nurses whom I worked with in the hospital, the smokers, were complaining that they had to go farther and farther away to smoke. (To be fair, we were on top of a hilly road, and all the units coming up the hill belonged to the trust, so to go to smoke off hospital grounds, they should have gone down the hill to the other side of the road, or at least to the edge of the pavement, and then come back up again. Good for exercising, though!)

Freda said...

1 Roller Coaster
2 Coney Island
3 Patrick Stewert
4 Shanghai
5 Fishermen

trev-v said...

As some-one who worked in Computing for 40 – 45 years I enjoyed The IT Crowd. It reminded me of the people who staffed the ground floor of our IT fortress in Romford. They were the ones who were front line support looking after the mainly physical side of computing. They sorted out power cables, new keyboards and screens and gave some Industry level support. This left those of us in the higher levels of the Fortress to get on with writing new systems and fixing program bugs in working systems.

One of the reasons that I did not have a mobile phone and stopped off at the Hutton for a pint or 2 on the way home was to get away from my role as second line telephone support. I could be called at any time of the night or the week-end when there were program problems with the over-night / month end runs. If I stepped foot into the office even for a few minutes I got paid 2 hours at double time as a minimum.

Debbi said...

Someday, perhaps, I'll get to watch such things. :)

1. a roller coaster
2. Coney Island (I made many trips there as a child, on the subway, by myself--I thought of it as an adventure--never rode the roller coaster, though--to scary for 9 or 10-year-old self!)
3. Patrick Stewart
4. Shanghai
5. weavers