Friday 17 June 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th June, 2022

17th June, 2022.


Right … it’s Friday: and … ?

Well, I’ve managed to post off the forms I need for the appeal.

Which?

Frankly cost a fortune.

At least, a fortune on my money.

I’ll probably also need to have a word with my GP: and ask her to do me a letter about the appeal.

Here’s hoping the thing goes through as fast as possible.

~≈§≈~

Oh, my nephew, Jude, was over, yesterday.

Apparently?   Some of his friends have seen my Marmite unboxing video: and think it’s really strange.

So long as I get a few extra views, I’m not complaining!


Yes: he also managed to make another video: this time, about a recent game of foot pool, at Centre Parcs.


Feel free to hit like, and share!

~≈§≈~

If you’re a pensioner in the UK, you’ve got problems: but you knew that, any way.

According to a BBC report, today?

It seems that the computer systems running the UK’s state pension system?

Have been over and under payment pensioners: by about a penny or two a week.

Since the 1990s.

The 1990s!

What’s possibly going to make that worse?

Is that the Department of Work and Pensions, the department that relies on and runs the system?

Knew about this.   And decided it would be to complicated to fix … in 2002.

Assuming the system’s underpaid a pension by a penny a week?

That’s fifty-two pence a year.

And £10·40p since 2002.

Spread over several thousand pensioners, that’s a lot of money.

I’ve got to ask: if the DWP’s computer systems are doing this to pensions … what the hell are the doing to other benefits?

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message!


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        17th June, 1885, saw a statue arrive in New York.   Which statue: the Venus de Milo, the Statue of Liberty or Michelangelo’s David?

Q2)        Willem Barentsz discovered Spitsbergen: on 17th June, 1596.   Now called Svalbard, the archipelago is part of which Scandinavian country?

Q3)        17th June, 1967, saw China announce it had tested what: nuclear weapons, electric cars or solar power?

Q4)        17th June, 1898, saw the birth of M. C. Escher. In which European country: Luxembourg, the Netherlands or Belgium.

Q5)        Finally … ?   17th June is the feast day of Saint Hervé.   He’s the patron saint of whom: the blind, deaf or mute?
Yesterday’s answers are in today’s video.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The Switchback Railway opened on 16th June, 1884.   What was it: a merry-go-round, love boat or roller coaster? June 2022
A1)        Roller coaster.

Q2)        It was the first such item, where: Coney Island, Thorpe Park or Hansa Park?
A2)        Coney Island.

Q3)        In Star Trek: The Next Generation, 16th June is Picard Day.   Who plays Captain Picard, in Star Trek: The Next Generation?
A3)        Patrick Stewart.

Q4)        The first Disneyland in mainland China opened on 16th June, 2016.   In which Chinese city: Beijing, Shanghai or Chengdu?
A4)        Shanghai.

Q5)        Finally … ?   16th June is the feast day of Saint Benno.   He’s the patron saint of whom: weavers, tailors, soldiers or sailors?
A5)        Weavers.
Here’s a thought … 

“All those lives lost for a war finished over a table.   Now what is the sense in that?”
Harry Patch, 17 June 1898 – 25 July 2009.

And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        I’ve got to admit, I only really know The Crucible, of all of Miller’s work, Olga: that’s something I should remedy, I think.   But Stewart’s one man version of A Christmas Carol is well spoken of!
        There’s a possible counter argument, there: all sea fishermen are sailors but not all sailors are sea fishermen!
        I remember the episode, Olga: they had a post-Soviet thing going on, didn’t they?   But the smoking areas at that hospital?    Sound very like Basildon Hospital’s patient smoking area: it’s the bus-stop, out front … 


        Hello, Mum!

        You know, that’s possibly an excuse for a Tom Waits tune, Debbi!   Or possibly an episode or two of Mr Robot.   Discovery’s worth a go, if you get the chance.


^        Yeah, I know what you mean about mobiles, Trevor: there’s days I dreaded getting a call from work!   (And double time?   That was as rare as rocking horse poo, at the Hutton!)
        Talking of the mobile?   Did you managed to join Twitter?

5 comments:

Freda said...

1 Statue of Liberty
2 Norway
3 Nuclear Weapon
4 Nethelands
5 Blind

trev-v said...

That little smoking hut reminds me when the computer and us programmers were in Croydon. After the company banned smoking at your desk they made a small room available for smokers. The room doubled up as the post processing of print outs from the computers. The loose A4 pages printed out were given a glued edge to keep them together. Also some were drilled to go into filing systems. This room with only a small window could hold about 10 smokers. If you had to go there to find anyone as you opened the door you saw a cloud of smoke which filled the upper part of the room and smelt the hot glue from the gluing machine.

I think I have a twitter account which I cannot remember using too much. I think I am @Tivvy48

Nik Nak said...

Handily, Trevor, I’ve just #FF’ed you … 

Olga said...

Q1) The Statue of Liberty

Q2) Norway

Q3) Nuclear weapons

Q4) The Netherlands

Q5) The blind
Yes, that's the one! Good luck with everything and fingers crossed. I've forwarded you an e-mail from Coursera about the Google courses I mentioned. I don't think there's anything new in it, but just in case...

Debbi said...

I'll follow you, Trevor. As soon as Twitter lets me follow anyone. I've hit some kind of ceiling there. I guess I follow too many people. Or my follower-to-followee ratio is out of whack or something. :)

1. the Statue of Liberty
2. Norway
3. nuclear weapons
4. the Netherlands
5. the blind