Tuesday 28 June 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 28-6-2022 — Ukraine

28th June, 2022.

Right … I’ve been into the shop.

… 

… 

You possibly wondering what I’m talking about, aren’t you … ?

My washing machine’s failed.

And, as far as I can tell, it’s still under warranty.

So … ?

I went into the shop, to ask about repairs.

I’ve got to go back, this afternoon: with the relevant details.

And will see what I can see.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        28th June is Constitution Day in Ukraine.   It marks Ukraine’s adoption of a new constitution: in which year of the 1990s?

Q2)        The Constitution was adopted by the Verkhovna Rada.   In other words, Ukraine’s what: President, parliament or prime minister?

Q3)        While we’re on the subject?   Who is Ukraine’s current president?

Q4)        What’s Ukraine’s capital: Kyiv, Kharkiv or Odessa?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The hryvnia is the Ukrainian what: currency, parliament building or main port?
Yesterday’s answers are in today’s video.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Cyberattacks using the Petya malware began on 27th June, 2017.   The attacks were mainly aimed at which eastern European country: Ukraine, Bulgaria or Romania?
A1)        Ukraine.

Q2)        The attack is said to have been carried by which country: the USA, Russia or China?
A2)        Russia.

Q3)        The malware first appeared in which year: 2015, 2016 or 2017?
A3)        2016.

Q4)        The malware took its name from a gadget in a James Bond movie.   Which Bond movie: Goldfinger, GoldenEye or The Man with the Golden Gun?
A4)        GoldenEye.   (If I’ve understood it correctly?   In the film, ‘Petya’ is the Russian name for the GoldenEye bomb)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Petya was a version of what type of malware: ransomware, worm or virus?
A5)        Ransomware.
Here’s a thought … 
“The vote for Ukraine’s independence spelled the end of the Soviet Union.”
pp 320–321, The Gates of Europe: A History of Ukraine, by Serhii Plokhy.
And a national anthem …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Ha!   I think if all of them behaved, Olga, you’d still get nation-states coming up with malicious software.   GCHQ is doing something with taxpayers money!   At any rate … ?   You’ve managed five out of five: on a set I found relatively easy to write.
        I have to admit, I’ve not got Grammarly installed: I like trying to memorise the correct spelling.   Saying that … ?   I’ve got a copy of Hart’s, and some George Orwell at hand: I can always double check the technical stuff with them.
        Yes: I’ve got insurance.   But will need to check on what that covers.   Going by what I’ve got, though, I’m still under warranty: I’ve just got to get the details to the shop.   (I don’t think mine’s the plug, or plug socket: I switched it on, this morning, and it came on … for about three seconds.   I might just be the mother board.)

        ¡Hello, Mum!

        Well, Lamar and Eilish are both American, Debbi: and both spoke out at Glastonbury.   The thing’s still the music festival.   If you’re a musician who wants to speak out, that’s a good place to do it.
        Actually, they had a singer called Caroline Polacheck playing there, this year: sort of a goth Kate Bush.
        Oh, and cheers for the left: I’ve left you a slightly sideways comment.   (I think government control of the ’Net could be awkward.   I DO know ICANN^ has some control functions, though: but not necessarily any regulatory function.)

^        I’m no expert, Debbi, but believe ICANN runs the domains: the .com/.org/.co.uk bits of an Internet address.   Looking at the Simple English Wiki page is possibly a better idea!

4 comments:

Nik Nak said...

That’s a thought, Olga: I think this piece may interest you.

I don’t think the first minister has a chance of getting it through: but I’m wishing her luck!

Olga said...

Q1) 1996

Q2) Parliament

Q3) Volodymyr Zelenskyy

Q4) Kyiv

Q5) Currency
Good luck with the washing machine, and I hope it all works out quite quickly. The motherboard can stump people (from my previous experience with one on a heater), unless they really know the model and what they are doing. Here there are more and more laundrettes being set up. There were none a few years back, so one has to wonder... (I guess more people renting rooms or tiny apartments might have something to do with it).
Interesting article. Here they never allowed Catalonia to have the referendum officially, and there was hell to pay for having one... Not sure people are up to the task these days, but the central government seems to go from one crisis to the next, and it is looking likely that in the next elections voters will turn to the right, so not looking hopeful in the longer term either.

Freda said...

1 1991
2 Parliament
3 Zeleneskyy
4 Kyiv
5 Currency

Debbi said...

Right. Yes, they handle the so-called "top domains". I think that's the term. It's been a while since I studied information technology in library school. :)

1. 1996
2. parliament
3. Volodymyr Zelenskyy
4. Kyiv
5. currency

The major problem is for the workers at these tech companies. Not to mention Amazon and its algorithms that favor some authors, but not others. But enough about that, eh? :)