Saturday 4 June 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-6-2022: Tiananmen

4th June, 2022.


Yes: it’s cloudy out.

Which means … ?

Well, not a lot, frankly.

But anyone having a street party, today, are going to be keeping an eye out for rain.

Here’s hoping it improves.

~≈Ç≈~

I mentioned street parties, there.

People are going to be organising them to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.

That’s a day after there was a service of Thanksgiving at Saint Paul’s, yesterday.

The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, turned out for that: along side his wife, Carrie.

He got booed.


I wish I’d been there.

I’d’ve loved to have joined in!

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The Chinese Army put down protests on 4th June.   In Tiananmen what?

Q2)        Protests — and suppression — were in which Chinese city: Beijing, Chongqing or Shanghai?

Q3)        Protests — and suppression — were in which year of the 1980s?

Q4)        The protests started after the death of Hu Yaobang: the then General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party.   Who’s the current General Secretary: Mao Zedong, Xi Jinping or Hu Jintao?

Q5)        Finally?   The day after the suppression started, one protestor famously held up the Army: by standing in from of a what?
Yesterday’s answers are in today’s video.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        3rd June is Opium Suppression Movement Day.   Where: Taiwan, Japan or China?
A1)        Taiwan.   The Taiwanese name is 禁菸節

Q2)        Singer, songwriter and bassist, Suzi Quatro, was born on 3rd June, 1950.   In which US state?
A2)        Michigan.

Q3)        3rd June is the feast day of Saint Kevin of Glendalough.   He’s the patron saint of what: crows, choughs or blackbirds.
A3)        Blackbirds.   (Blackbirds have a patron saint called Kevin.   Stranger things have happened …)

Q4)        3rd June, 1937, was Wallis Simpson marry which duke: the Duke of Earle, the Duke of Windsor or the Duke of Sussex?
A4)        The Duke of Windsor: the man formerly known as Edward 8th.   (Here in the UK, we’ve been celebrating Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee, over this weekend.   Had the not abdicated?   We might not be …)

Q5)        Finally?   Poet, Allen Ginsberg, was born on 3rd June, 1926.   He was part of the: Beat Generation, Angry Brigade or Anonymous?
A5)        The Beat Generation.
Here’s a thought … 
“The popular national movement inspired by the Beijing protests is sometimes called the '89 Democracy Movement …”.
From the Wikipedia entry on the protests.
And a lot of clues!


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        I’m going to have to make a start on those, today, Olga: if it goes anything like the last time I tried one of these things, I may need a PC.   We’ll have to see.
        Yep: you’re right there.   Is it just me, or are committees very good at missing the obvious?   I’m sure Orwell had something to say about it^!

        Hello, Mum.   They might need brollies at the party!

        That’s OK, Debbi: as it’s Rick, I’ll let him off!   A friend of my sister’s went to a convent school.   I get the impression some of the nuns could chew through walls.
        I’ll try and keep my eyes open for that film!
        Oh, as a last thought?   Blackbirds have a saint called Kevin.   Ye gods!

^        Nearest I could find, Olga?   Was this: 
“We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.”

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 Square
2 Beiijing
3 1981
4 Xi Jinping
5 Tank

Olga said...

Q1) Square

Q2) Beijing

Q3) 1989

Q4) Xi Jinping

Q5) A tank
Great quote! I did get a form I need to fill in for my thing, and it doesn't look too complicated, thankfully, although I need to get some data from other people as well, so let's hope it doesn't take too long. (It isn't urgent, thankfully).
I would have happily booed Boris as well. You would imagine that once in his life he might have appeared with a properly combed hair (of course, it is a way of appearing "casual" or whatever, but it must take longer than just combing it properly. He deserves to go bold, but I suspect his genes won't help here...)
Oh, talking about courses and things, I have done the odd course in Coursera, and they are always sending me updates on new courses. I saw some Google courses which I thought you might be interested in. Of course, the idea is that they are "free", as in, you can survey them without having to pay for them, but if you want a certificate, then you have to pay (I haven't checked how much). They seem to be particularly geared towards working for Google or for companies who might be looking for similar qualifications, but because I know you know about computers, I thought you might enjoy having a look at them. Again, I'm not sure what kind of equipment you might need, but if it is only surveying the course, perhaps it doesn't matter.

https://www.coursera.org/professional-certificates/google-digital-marketing-ecommerce
https://www.coursera.org/learn/project-management-foundations
https://www.coursera.org/professional-certificates/google-data-analytics

Debbi said...

Saint Kevin ... hmm. :)

1. Square
2. Beijing
3. 1989
4. Xi Jinping
5. tank

Boris got booed? Aww ... we had a president that should be booed and then some! :) More than one, actually!