Thursday, 31 May 2012

The Daily Teaser — 31-5-2012

Hang on, hang on … 

HOW much … ???¿?

I’ve got Radio Four on in the background at the mo, and they’ve just announced the price of a pint of lager at some of the Olympic venues.

And repeat my initial question.

HOW much … ?

They’ve even told us the price … 

Dear GODS!

I’ll make a suggestion, here, if you’re coming to the UK for the Games, or the Jubilee: or just on a visit.

DON’T buy a pint at one of those venues.

Get yourself done over by honest muggers, they probably need the money … !

Either that … ?   Or stick to coffee!

♨♨♨

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with putting up this post*, ALSO bagged  6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 31st May, 1279 BC saw Ramses the Great assume the throne of Egypt: was he Ramses the 1st, 2nd or 3rd … ?
Q2) 31st May, 1669, saw who make the last entry in his diary … ?
Q3) 31st May, 1962, saw the execution of which war criminal … ?
Q4) 31st May, 1957, saw Arthur Miller found guilty of Contempt of Congress: as a result of being called before what … ?
Q5) And finally … 31st May, 1998, saw who leave the Spice Girls … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 30th May, 1631, saw the publication of France’s first newspaper: what was it called … ?
A1) La Gazette.   (And if Neville Wilson’s reading this, and get’s it wrong … ?   WELL!)
Q2) 30th May, 1859, saw the first chimes of Big Ben ring out in London.   What’s the name of the clock tower Big Ben is in … ?
A2) The Clock Tower.   (Occasionally referred to as the Clock Tower of The Palace of Westminster.)
Q3) 30th May, 1981, saw the assassination of Zia Rahman: which country was he the president of … ?
A3) Bangladesh.
Q4) 30th May, 1431, saw Joan of Arc burnt at the stake: during which war was she active … ?
A4) The Hundred Years War.
Q5) More to the point, for how many years did this war last.
A5) Debatably, 116 years: the term Hundred Years War covers a period from 1337 to 1453, and includes anything up to six different wars and an Incident … !
Q6) And finally … 30th May, 1913, saw the end of the First Balkan War: which country became independent, after the relevant treaty was signed … ?
A6) Albania.
Enjoy those, everyone.

Although, as it’s Clint Eastwood’s birthday … ?

I’ll leave you with quote from him at the end of today’s Teaser animation … 

And a quick tune … 












*        FANTASTIC piece of work, there, Debbi!   And thanking YOU for the mention! :D   Incidentely, about the Quo’s Rockin’ All Over The World … ?   You DO know that’s the song that opened the original Live Aid, back in 1985 … ?   You can’t go wrong with ol’ fashioned twelve bar boogie†!

†        I’ve ALSO seen both Status Quo and Dr Feelgood referred to as Delta Blues.   THAMES Delta Blues … 

2 comments:

  1. Hi...big Ben rang out over London on 31st may for the first time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Paul! :) It was my pleasure. Honestly, I wish I could remember where I first saw your blog. I remember including it on the blogroll, probably because of Doctor Who and maybe something you wrote. Then, time went by and I just happened to look at it again. And, well ... here we are. :)

    1. 2nd
    2. Samuel Pepys
    3. Adolf Eichmann
    4. the House Un-American Activities Committee
    5. Geri “Ginger Spice” Halliwell

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.