Tuesday, 8 May 2012

The Daily Teaser — 8-5-2012

 Hmmm … 
I’ve got to admit, I’ve got a little side project on the go, at the moment.

Installing a new operating system onto my Mum’s old desktop.

I’m just grateful I’ve access to some open source software, I really am.

Well … grateful … 

And fascinated to see the OS in question — Kubuntu 12·04 — in action.

It’s rather funky, let’s put it that way.

Oh … and blue, rather than it’s more famous relative, Ubuntu’s, colour scheme.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Before I go into a Waynetta Slob ‘It’s BROWN’ routine … 

‹‹·››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with admitting she felt UK slang was cool*, she also managed to bag 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 8th May, 1980, saw the World Health Organisation endorse the eradication of Smallpox: which English physician pioneered the use of vaccination, in treating Smallpox … ?
Q2) 8th May, 1945, was VE Day.   The Unconditional Surrender was ratified in Berlin: but originally signed, the day before, in which French city … ?
Q3) 8th May, 1984, saw the opening of the Thames Barrier, the world’s second largest movable flood barrier: the world’s largest flood barrier is in which European country … ?
Q4) 8th May, 1940, saw the birth of author, Peter Benchley: which of his novel’s was turned into a (very) famous film by Steven Spielberg … ?
Q5) And finally … 8th May, 1970, saw the release of the last Beatles album: what was it called … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th May, saw which country surrender, at the end of World War Two … ?
A1) Germany.
Q2) More to the point, 7th May, 1937, saw that country’s Condor Legion, arrive to help in which country’s Civil War … ?
A2) Spain.
Q3) 7th May, 1846, saw the first publication of the USA’s oldest weekly newspaper: what’s it called … ?
A3) The Cambridge Chronicle.
Q4) More to the point, in which US state is it published … ?
A4) Massachusetts.
Q5) 7th May, 1867, saw the patenting — in England —  of dynamite: by whom … ?
A5) Alfred Nobel.
Q6) And finally … 7th May, 2001, saw Pope John Paul 2nd visit which middle Eastern city … ?
A6) Damascus.

Enjoy those, everyoine: I’ll catch you all later … 

Once I’ve let birthday boy, Enrique Iglesias, do his thing … 








*        You’ve not seen Australian slang, yet, have you Debbi … ?   That get’s … obscure … !

1 comment:

  1. Not as familiar with Australian slang, although I picked up a bit from watching Angry Boys.

    Chris Lilley is so talented.

    1. Edward Jenner
    2. Reims
    3. the Netherlands
    4. Jaws
    5. Let It Be

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.