Monday, 21 May 2012

The Daily Teaser — 21-5-2012

Right, that’s it.

I am definitely getting an early night, tonight … !

Because I have to confess that — at the moment — I am yawning at my keyboard.

Despite having a cup of tea by my side that’s practically liquid caffeine !

Oh, well … 

At least if nothing else, I know I’ve something of a rather riveting read lined up.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   Before my head hits ax hsuiwq ctey8 … !

»»·««

Quite … !

Ahem … !

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with admitting she’d met personal hero, Jenny Lawson*, also bagging 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 21st May, 1991, saw the former Prime Minister of India killed by a bomb: what was his name … ?
Q2) 21st May, 1961: during the American Civil Rights movement, Governor John Malcolm Patterson introduce martial law.   In which US state … ?
Q3) 21st May, 1904, saw the founding of football’s governing body, FIFA: what does FIFA stand for … ?
Q4) More to the point: who has more member nations, FIFA or the United Nations … ?
Q5) 21st May, 2001, saw France enact a law, recognising the slave trade — and slavery — as what … ?
Q6) And finally … 21st May, 1894, saw Queen Victoria open what: the Grand Union Canal, the Manchester Ship Canal or the Bridgewater Canal … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 20th May, 1570, saw Abraham Ortelius publish the world’s first modern what … ?
A1) Atlas.   (He called his version the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, or Theatre of the World.)
Q2) 20th May, 1965, saw the Home Secretary announce British Police would be armed with what: truncheons, tear gas or Tasers?
A2) Tear gas.
Q3) 20th May, 1521, saw Ignatius of Loyola wounded in battle: which Roman Catholic order did he found?
A3) The Society of Jesus: also known as the Jesuits.
A4) Thomas Edison.
Q5) 20th May, 1873, saw Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive the patent for copper riveted jeans.   What were the rivets for … ?
A5) Reinforcing the pockets.
Q6) And finally … 20th May, 2002, saw Portugal recognise the independence of which island … ?
A6) East Timor.

Enjoy those, everyone.

And, as today would’ve been his fortieth birthday, I’ll leave you with a tune from Biggie Smalls … 




















*        Who, on her The Bloggess blogº, has been putting a smile on my face for a while.   Including the various post about her book tour.

º        I’ve got her on an RSS feed, Debbi: she’s EVEN more prolific than you, me and Terry Pratchett put together … !

1 comment:

  1. Her blog is absolutely hilarious. She's also a great speaker. :)

    1. Rajiv Gandhi
    2. Alabama
    3. Fédération Internationale de Football Association
    4. FIFA
    5. crimes against humanity
    6. the Manchester Ship Canal

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.