Friday, 4 May 2012

The Daily Teaser — 4-5-2012

You know, I think there’s a certain amount of mixed feelings out there: especially after last nights elections.

But I’m VERY aware that Karen Chilvers — who’s occasionally commented, here, AND been very helpful over the Saint James Road planning application — is now OFFICIALLY Councillor Karen Chilvers, of Brentwood West ward.

I’m thinking congratulations are in order, there.

Congratulations!

Now … 

Karen … ?

About the seat on that bus stop … ?

‹‹†››

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yes, let’s … 

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with bagging 6 out of 6, also telling us her planned UK trip is firming up*: and that she’s enjoyed yesterday’s videosº.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 4th May saw Picasso’s Nude,Green Leaves and Bust sold for a record price: in which year … ?
Q2) More to the point, the most expensive work of art ever sold was by whom … ?
Q3) 4th May, 1972, saw the Canadian Don’t Make A Wave Committee change its name to what … ?
Q4) 4th May, 1966, saw the British government give who a pay rise … ?
Q5) 4th May, 1675, saw Charles 2nd order the construction of what … ?
Q6) And finally … 4th May, 1825, saw the birth of Thomas Huxley: whose bulldog was he known as … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 3rd May, 1936, saw who make his first appearance for the New York Yankees … ?   
A1) Joe DiMaggio.
Q2) 3rd May, 1973, saw the Sears Tower become the World’s tallest skyscraper: what’s the current holder of the title … ?   
A2) The Burj Khalifa, in Dubai.
Q3) More to the point, what’s the tallest skyscraper in London … ?   
A3) The Soon to be completed Shard.
Q4) 3rd May, 2000, saw which two stock exchanges announce they were to merge … ?   
A4) The London Stock Exchange, and the Deutsche Boerse.
Q5) 3rd May, 1937, saw the author of Gone With the Wind win the Pulitzer Prize for Literature: what was her name … ?   
A5) Margaret Mitchell.
Q6) And finally … 3rd May is the feast of Roodmas, in the Catholic Church: also known as the Feast of the Finding of the Holy … what … ?   
A6) Cross.

Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with Bucks Fizz, doing their thing … 

As it’s singer Jay Ashton’sª birthday.


















*        I’m looking forward to it, Debbi!

º        Actually, Debbi, that last one: the Barnes and Barnes tune, Fish Heads … ?   One half of the act is a chap called Bill Mumy: yeah, that Bill Mumy.   You know … Will Robinson, from Lost In Space … ?   You know, I think that’s a cue … 


·        She’s the one in yellow, in case you didn’t know … 

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to the trip, also. :)

    I updated my post, because I realized that having my stroke at B&N probably saved my life. Isn't that ironic?

    1. 2010
    2. Paul Cézanne
    3. Greenpeace
    4. doctors and dentists
    5. the Royal Greenwich Observatory
    6. Darwin's

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.