Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows:

You know, it’s not that often I watch a film twice, it really isn’t.
 But I have to also say that I watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows, the recently released follow up to 2009’s Guy Ritchie film, Sherlock Holmes.
 And I wanted to make sure that I caught all of the undertones.
 Including the fact that Noomi Rapace — star of the original Swedish language version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo — pops up in the film, complete with an eyepoppingly outlandish hat.
Oh … 

And Jared Harris’ performance as Professor Moriarty.

Hmm … 

I’m burbling, aren’t I … ?

At ANY rate, let me try and clarify things, for you … 

‹‹‡››

Directed by Guy Ritchie, Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows sees both Robert Downey Jnr and Jude Law returning their respective roles for another adventure.

Following on some time after the first film, A Game Of Shadows opens with Irene Adler — a brief reprise, here, from Rachel MacAdams — delivery a package to a Professor Hoffmanstahl: a package that proves to be a letter-bomb from her employer, Professor James Moriarty, played by Jared Harris.

A man who — as Watson finds out on a visit just prior to his stag night — Holmes has been investigating: investigating … and coming to possibly odd conclusions about … 

‹‹‡››

Now … ?

Was it a good film, I hear you ask … ?

Hmmm … 

I’m having my doubts, thus far.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows does maintain the feel of the first, although it is somewhat darker: after all, it does see Holmes apparent death at the Reichenbach Falls.

It’s ALSO as well crafted a film as only Guy Ritchie and co can make: well paced and written, with both humour and wit, throughout.

Hmmm … 

But I’m ALSO thinking that the film needs … 

Well, possibly needs a third entry in the franchise, just so that we can be sure of seeing any lose ends tied up.

And given I personally believe that the BBC’s been going something of a better job with the second series of Sherlock … ?

Well … ?

Game to Mr Moffat and co … 

So far … 

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows
★★☆☆




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.