Tuesday, 29 May 2012

The Daily Teaser — 29-5-2012

You know, I THINK I’m going to get terribly British at you.

And complain … about the weather.

It’s too bloody hot!

Or, at least, FEELS that way!

Certainly too hot — and muggy — to sleep comfortably.

Or continuously, come to that.

Which is a bit of a pain in the proverbial: as I’ve actually got my first interview for some time, today, at 1pm.

Would you mind keeping you finger’s crossed for me … ?

I’m hoping to NOT fall asleep at it … !

Let’s move on, shall we … ?

☱☲☴☲☱

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting her answers: and, along with bagging 7 out of 7, also giving us the Debbi Mack Indie Authors Manifesto*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 29th May, 1660, saw who ascend the throne of Great Britain … ?
Q2) 253 years later, 29th May, 1913, saw whose ballet provoke a riot on it’s debut in Paris … ?
Q3) More to the point, what was the name of the ballet … ?
Q4) 29th May, 1953, saw Hillary and Tenzing reach the summit of  Mount Everest: which country are Tenzing Norgay’s people native to … ?
Q5) 29th May, 1999, saw Olusegun Obasanjo become his country’s first civilian president for 16 years: what is that country … ?
Q6) And finally … 29th May, 1999, saw the Space Shuttle Discovery  dock with what … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th May, 1937, saw President Roosevelt formally open the Golden Gate Bridge: in which Californian city is the Golden Gate Bridge … ?
A1) San Francisco.
Q2) 28th May, 1998, saw which country test its first nuclear weapon … ?
A2) Pakistan.
Q3) 28th May, 1951, saw the first broadcast of The Goon Show: which of the Goons was the main writer for the series … ?
A3) Sir Terence Arthur Spike Milligan.
Q4) More to the point, what was the title the show was originally broadcast under … ?
A4) Crazy People.
Q5) And more to the point, which Goon later went on to play Inspector Clouseau … ?
A5) Peter Sellers.  (“ENTEEEEEEER, BLUEBOTTLE … !   Waits for applause: as usual, not a sausage … !”)
Q6) Moving on … 28th May, 1987, saw amateur pilot, Mathias Rust, land where … ?
A6) Red Square in Moscow.
Q7) And finally … 28th May, 1999, saw which of Da Vinci’s works go back on display … ?
A7) The Last Supper.
Enjoy those, everyone: as it’s Status Quo co-frontman Francis Rossi’s birthday … ?

Here’s Gerdundula … 


Oh, here’s their definitive live version of Caroline … 


Oh … And from their 2009 Glastonbury gig … 


You can’t tell I’m a fan, can you … ?
















*        You know, I}ve got to confess, Debbi, it put’s me in mind of the Punk movement of the 70s.   John Lydon — Johnny Rotten, as he was — put it best in a recent trailer for BBC 4’s documentary on Punk Britannia: words to the effect of “You have to Do-It-Yourself, because nobody else is gonna do it for ya …”.   Actually … ?   Kind of puts me in mind of blogging, fanzines and the old Russian tradition of Samizdat: it strikes me they’ve all got something of the same ethos … 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Being compared to Johnny Rotten is so awesome. :)

    Compared to a lot of today's indie authors, I'm really cutting edge, I think. I'm prepared to do things others aren't and see where it goes. There's nothing to lose and so much to gain. I hope. :)

    1. Charles II
    2. Igor Stravinsky
    3. The Rite of Spring
    4. Nepal
    5. Nigeria
    6. the International Space Station

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.