Wednesday, 9 May 2012

The Daily Teaser — 9-5-2012

Oh, now that’s sad to hear, that.

I’ve got to admit, while I was happily upgrading the family desktop, the sad bit of news came through the BBC’s site that author and illustrator, Maurice Sendak had died.

At the age of 83: which is a pretty good innings, I’d’ve said.

But whether’s that’s a good age or not is neither here nor there, I think.

He’s left behind a body of work that, if not prolific, is influential.

After all, who’s not wanted to go on a Wild Rumpus … ?

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   Before I tell you about Nick Clegg and David Cameron’s ‘Get a Mac’ re-enactment, yesterday … 


‹‹·››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting her answers: and, along with telling us she only caught up with the Australian slang featured in Angry Boys*, AND bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 9th May, 1092, saw the formal consecration of Lincoln Cathedral: to which saint is the cathedral dedicated … ?
Q2) 9th May, 1927, saw the first convening of Australia’s Parliament, in which Australian city … ?
Q3) 9th May, 1948, saw a constitution come into force in which European country: which country … ?
Q4) More to the point, name either of that country’s two successor states?
Q5) 9th May, 1671, saw Colonel Thomas Blood attempt to steal the English Crown Jewels: from where … ?
Q6) More to the point, who was the King of England, at the time … ?
Q7) And finally … 9th May is — in countries that had been parts of Soviet Russia — the Soviet equivalent of VE Day: what’s the Soviet name for this … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 8th May, 1980, saw the World Health Organisation endorse the eradication of Smallpox: which English physician pioneered the use of vaccination, in treating Smallpox … ?   A1) Edward Jenner.
Q2) 8th May, 1945, was VE Day.   The Unconditional Surrender was ratified in Berlin: but originally signed, the day before, in which French city … ?   A2) Reims.   (Or Rheims, as it’s also spelt.)
Q3) 8th May, 1984, saw the opening of the Thames Barrier, the world’s second largest movable flood barrier: the world’s largest flood barrier is in which European country … ?   A3) The Netherlands.
Q4) 8th May, 1940, saw the birth of author, Peter Benchley: which of his novel’s was turned into a (very) famous film by Steven Spielberg … ?   A4) Jaws.
Q5) And finally … 8th May, 1970, saw the release of the last Beatles album: what was it called … ?   A5) Let It Be.
Enjoy those, everyone: as it’s David Gahan’s birthday, I’ll leave you with one of Depeche Mode’s poppier tunes … 



























*        Got to admit, I’ve not seen it, Debbi, I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled.   (Which I’m fairly sure has it’s origins, Down Under: don’t quote me, though, I really couldn’t tell you where I heard that … !   Oh … And remind me to tell you about The Last Continent, at some point … )

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to search for the Depeche Mode video. Copyright issues again. *sigh*

    1. St. Mary
    2. Canberra
    3. Czechoslovakia
    4. the Czech Republic and Slovakia
    5. the Tower of London
    6. Charles II
    7. Victory Day

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.