Friday 16 October 2015

The Daily Teaser — 16-10-2015





Well, that was exciting!

My bush caught fire … !

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to my place, but I live in a ground floor-flat: with shrubbery directly outside my window.

I’ve got three flats above mine, so you know.

Yesterday … ?

Yesterday, I notice a mild smell of burning: and initially put it down to needing to clean my oven!

It wasn’t the oven.   A few minutes after I notice the burning smell, one of my neighbours knocked on my door, looking rather worried.   To tell me the shrubbery outside my window was on fire.

I managed to put the fire: with the help of at least three buckets of water.

AND managed to call the fire brigade, to make bloody SURE people who put fires out professionally had a look.   I wanted to make sure I’d put the bush out.

What happened?

Going by the position of the smoke* — right against the wall under my window — what I THINK happened is someone in the flats above mine has dropped a cigarette off the side/back of their balcony, without putting it out, first: we’ve had it happen before.    It’s something the previous residents of the flat above mine have done.

Like I say … ?   I THINK I owe one neighbour a big thank you.   Thanking you, Hayley!

As the fire men said, when they got here?

It could’ve been a LOT worse … !

~≈Ê≈~

But let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi† and Olga‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) During the French Revolution, 16th October, 1793, saw the execution of Marie Antoinette: widow of the King of France.   Which King of France?
Q2) Girton College, the first residential college for women, was opened on 16th October, 1869.   Is Girton College part of Oxford or Cambridge University?
Q3) The discovery of exoplanet, Alpha Centauri Bb was announced: on 16th October, 2012.   Alpha Centauri is in which constellation?
Q4) Empress Wu Zetian ascend the throne of China: on 16th October, 690 AD.   Which Chinese dynasty did she belong to: Tang, Fang or McSweeney?
Q5) Finally … General Augusto Pinochet was arrested in London: on 16th October, 1998.   He’d been dictator of which South American country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Protestors in the USA burnt their draft cards, on 15th October, 1965: the first time such action led to an arrest.   What war were the protestors protesting against?A1) The Vietnam War.
Q2) NASA launched the Cassini probe: on 15th October, 1997.   Which planet was the probe heading for?A2) Saturn.
Q3) 15th October, 2013, saw an earthquake hit the Central Visayas region of which Pacific nation?A3) The Philippines.
Q4) 15th October, 70 BC, saw the birth of which Ancient Roman poet: Virgil, Ovid or Babrius?A4) Virgil.
Q5) Finally … 15th October, 1966, saw Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale found which activist group?A5) The Black Panther Party.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“As for the English half — that’s my reserved side … But put me onstage, and the Irish comes out. The combination makes a good mix for acting.”Angela Lansbury, born 16th October, 1925.
And this tune … 


Have a good day … !














*        The reason I think that … ?   Like I say, it’s happened before, a couple of times.   And most of the smokers I’ve seen go past my flat, tend to stub their smokes out on the pavement, OR throw them into the road^.   I’m thinking, RIGHT now … ?   That someone doesn’t know how to use an ashtray …

†        Glad to hear that, Debbi!   I wish someone upstairs learnt how to manage theirs.   Or used an ashtray … !

‡        Well … I think I can say it was an interesting day off, Olgaª!   Possibly the only time I have an excuse to change my name to Moses.   (Or possibly Wintermute … )

^        I did The same thing, myself, back when I smoked.

ª        Actually, Olga, you DO know that hitting ‘ctrl’ and ‘d’, in Google Chrome, should bookmark the site?   It’ll add it to your bookmarks bar, at the top of the window.   (With all of the Daily Teasers, if you click on the title link, it takes you to the YouTube video for the day’s Teaser.   You can THEN click on the link in the Info box, to take you to the post.   You can ALSO hit the ‘Read More’ link on the blog: THAT take your to the post.)



2 comments:

Debbi said...

Wish you could come to the signing tomorrow! :) Too bad about the ocean getting in the way, huh?

1. Louis XVI
2. Cambridge
3. Centaurus
4. Tang
5. Chile

Olga said...

Q1) Louis XVI
Q2) Cambridge
Q3) Centaurus
Q4) Tang
Q5) Chile
I can see Debbi already got there... Scary, the fire thing. Perhaps the bush should be moved if people don't learn (it can't run away, unfortunately). Thanks for the tip about the bookmarks. I try and get rid of the history every so often, after the problems I've had, and with the change of the hard drive I've had to start with the beginning. I'm quite fond of pocket so I'll mark it there.