Wednesday 21 October 2015

The Daily Teaser — 21-10-2015

Oh … RIGHT!   That’s what’s happening!

I finally got my delivery in, yesterday: the caddy, and a video box-set.

Series four of Angel, since you ask.

And … ?   I THINK I’ve solved a problem: or figured out why there’s a problem.

Occasionally, I get a lot of flickering: as my main monitor shifts between its different presentation modes.

I’ve NOW worked out it happens … after I leave my computer on, doing an overnight rip … !

Quite how to deal with that?   I’m not sure: bar monitoring how long the computer’s on, for.

~≈É≈~

There’s something else, before I move on to the Teaser, itself.   Remember, back when I was unemployed, I told you I was placed on the government’s Work Program.   It was designed to help the long term unemployed back into work.    It was also something I felt was an expensive waste of time: as — from the anecdotal stories I help, and my own experience — told me it was ineffective.

AND a waste of money.

As I felt I got more effective help from my local Job Centre.

It looks like I was right.   This report, that the BBC has talked about?   Tells me I’m right: the thing was a waste of time.

Isn’t vindication nice … ?

~≈É≈~

But let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: scoring 5 out of 5 in the process.

It ASLO saw Olga† popping in to say hello: pointing out well know band, Lynyrd Skynyd, could be spelt many ways.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the usual How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) Record smog closed schools, roads and the airport in the city of Harbin: on the 21st October, 2013.   Harbin is in which Far Eastern country?
Q2) Ferdinand Magellan found what’s now called the Straits of Magellan: on 21st October, 1520.   These separate Tierra del Fuego from which continent: North American, South America or Europe?
Q3) Actress and writer, Carrie Fisher, was born on 21st October, 1956.   What was the title of her first novel, published in 1987?
Q4) The Sakurakai launched a coup attempt: on 21st October, 1931.   The group were ultra-nationalists: in which Asian country?
Q5) Finally … 21st October, 1926, saw the birth of author, Ursula K. LeGuin.   One of her best known characters, Ged, first appears in A Wizard ofwhere?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 20th October, 1977, saw a Convair plane crash in Mississippi.   The crash killed three members of which band?
Q2) 20th October, 1947, saw the USA start formal diplomatic relations with which country?
A2) Pakistan.
Q3) 20th October, 2000, saw the release of human rights activist, James Mawdsley: from a jail in which East Asian nation?
A3) Burma.
Q4) 20th October, 1956, saw the birth of film director, Danny Boyle.   His first film, released in the UK in 1995, was called Shallowwhat?
A4) Shallow Grave.
Q5) Finally … Prime Minister Maurice Bishop was assassinated, during a coup: on 20th October, 1983.   Where was he PM of?
A5) Grenada.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I talk about the gods, I am an atheist. But I am an artist too, and therefore a liar. Distrust everything I say. I am telling the truth.”
Ursula K. Le Guin, born 21st October, 1929, in the introduction to The Left Hand of Darkness.
And this tune … 


Enjoy your day.














*        It’s a good possibility, Debbi‡!   Mind you, it could well be Writer’s Griping!   I could be wrong, though.   But it strikes me a coffee would possibly help!   (I’m usually one for tea: expresso’s popular, I know THAT.)

†        I intend to, now I’ve got my bits delivered, Olga‡!   You, too!   (Always amazes me, with some bands.   I mean, come on: let’s have consistently spell-able names!)

‡        Actually, Debbi, Olga, talking of great American literature, has either of you read much Le Guin?   I keep meaning to go back to her.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Yes! I read "The Dispossessed" many years ago. Loved it. I need to read more of her books! So many books, so little time! :)

1. China
2. South America
3. Postcards from the Edge
4. Japan
5. Earthsea