Monday 26 October 2015

The Daily Teaser — 26-10-2015

Hmmm … 

That’s a worry … 

Well … not for me, but still … 

There’s a bill going through the House of Lords, today: that could kill off tax credits for those of us who get them.

It’s causing a huge argument, as it could potentially be killed off by the Lords.

Personally … ?   I don’t actually qualify: I don’t do enough hours.

I’ve friends, though, who’d be affected: so they’d be affected … badly … 

The downside … ?

If I’ve understood what’s been said, correctly, it also affects the minimum wage that we’re on.

Hmmm … 

Worrying … 

~≈®≈~

But let’s get a move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: scoring six out of six in the process.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 26th October, 2015, saw the first issue published of The Village Voice.   It’s the best known alternative newspaper in which US city: Chicago, New York or Los Angeles?
Q2) 26th October, 1917 saw Germany, and her ally, Austria-Hungary, defeat Italy: during the Battle of Caporetto.   Which German soldier distinguished himself, during the battle?
Q3) Stephanie Fae Beauclair — known as ‘Baby Fae,’ in media reports — was given a heart transplant: on 26th October, 1984.   She received a transplant from what: a chimp, baboon or gorilla?
Q4) A report was published, on 26th October, 2000: by Lord Phillips.   The report was critical of the UK governments action over the spread of which disease: HIV/AIDS, BSE and its human equivalent, or Polio?
Q5) Finally … In the anglican Church, 26th October is the feast day of Alfred the Great: an early English king.   Where, strictly, was he king of?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 25th October, 1828, saw the formal opening of Saint Katherine Docks: in London.   Were the docks on the north or south bank of the Thames?
A1) North.
Q2) The docks were on the site of a former what: monastery, hospital or palace?
A2) Hospital.
Q3) 25th October, 1983, saw soldiers from the USA invade where: Grenada, Granada or Granville?
A3) Grenada.
Q4) The ninth African nation to gain independence from the UK did so on 25th October, 1964.   What is that country called?
A4) Zambia.
Q5) 25th October is the feast day of Saints Crispin and Crispinian.   The brothers are the patron saints of whom: bee-keepers, cobblers or bowyers?
A5) Cobblers.
Q6) Finally … 25th October is the Day of the Basque Country.   The Basque live in parts of Spain: and where else?
A6) France.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“My thought is always, ‘It’s only downhill from here’. That’s how I’ve always operated, ever since I began Family Guy. I had the crippling fear that I used up all the funny last week. That crippling insecurity really drives you to do your best. Your moments of pure joy are few and far between, but they do exist.”

Seth McFarlane, born 26th October, 1973.
And this song … 


Enjoy your day … 















*        Very true, Debbi†!   Did I ever mention the film, Strange Days?   Good little film, that, but my word, when I saw it, I thought “That’s from Gibson.   That bit’s from Gibson.   That’s ANOTHER bit from Gibson.   Oh, my word, Angela Bassett’s playing Molly … !”

†        Oh, you’re right about the date, Debbi.   It’s even mentioned on the relevant part of the Wikipedia entry.   If I get the chance, today, I’ll have to mention that on the relevant talk page.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) New York (1955 I think, otherwise…. It’s back to the future all over again)
Q2) Erwin Rommel
Q3) Baboon
Q4) BSE
Q5) Wessex
The beginning of the video reminded me of an incident once. I was in one of the big computer rooms at Sussex University and we were watching Psycho as part of a course. The tutor had mentioned the new version. I was checking it out but hadn't realised the page would start shouting 'Mother, mother!' and the sound was quite loud. Luckily there were not that many people around, but I got a few funny looks. (I did eventually watch the movie. I couldn't see much point to it and will always prefer Hitchcock's version but...
When I think of Mahalia Jackson I always remember the final scene of 'Imitation of Life' when she sings at the funeral. Fabulous!

Debbi said...

Hmm ... I'll have to look for that one.

1. New York
2. Erwin Rommel
3. baboon
4. BSE and its human equivalent
5. Wessex