Thursday 10 October 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 10-10-2019: In Outer Space

10th October, 2019.


Right … 

I’m off to hospital, today.

Right at the moment, I’ve a CPAP machine: a pump that helps me breathe at night.

It’s helpful: I think I’ve had generally better sleep since using it.

Although the mask I have to wear overnight is … distinctly unflattering … !

Hopefully, though?

I’ll be able to keep hold the thing.

It’s useful.

~≈§≈~

Have you ever been to the Glastonbury Festival?

I haven’t: I’ve never been able to afford it.

I do try and keep an eye on some of the televised acts, when the BBC has them.

Especially the Sunday night Legends slot.

Next year’s has just been announced.

It’s Diana Ross.

I’m impressed.   Ms Ross is one of the authentic legends.

The only person bigger would’ve been Aretha: and she’d be a tough one to book.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Badwolf†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Anne and Olga on five out of five, and Debbi scoring four..

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The Outer Space Treaty came into force on 10th October.   Of which year?
Q2) It’s been signed and ratified by how many nations: 109, 111 or 113?
Q3) The treaty forbids placing what into space: weapons of mass destruction, pollutants or bacteria?
Q4) The United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space was established in which year?
Q5) Finally … Space is generally accepted to be above the Kármán Line.   In other words, how far above sea level: 100km, 200km or 300km?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 9th October is National Nanotechnology Day.   Where: the UK, USA or UAE?
A1) The USA.
Q2) 9th October is Leif Ericsson Day: in Norway, Canada and where else?
A2) The USA.   (And Iceland)
Q3) 9th October sees the US and Canada mark what: the Takayama Festival, Hangul Day or Fire Prevention Day?
Q4) 9th October, 1964, saw the birth of director, Guillermo del Toro.   Guillermo has dual citizenship.   He’s a citizen of Mexico … and which other country?
A4) The USA.
Q5) Tennis player, Hank Pfister, was born on 9th October, 1953.   His first professional tournament was held in which country?
A5) The USA.   (What did you mean, theme … ?)
Here’s a thought …
“Space can be mapped and crossed and occupied without definable limit; but it can never be conquered.”
Arthur C. Clarke.
And music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*      Well: I tend to default to Wikipedia, Olga^.   But ever since the Batman issue (remember that?!), I do try and double check things!   I have to admit, I’m having trouble finding that USA reference for del Toro’s citizenship!   There’s always SOMETHING, isn’t there … ?   As for the job … ?   Well … them’s the breaks, sometimes.   I’m just having to make sure I have a public and private CV: ones with and without the job.   I’m just thinking, thought: given the adoption papers issue, should I have gone for it in the first place?   I know one now former member of staff, there, who refused to work with the manager who screwed that up.

†        Morning, again, Anne^.   Did I mention I’ve got a copy of The Hellbound Heart on route?

‡        Thought you might, Debbi^!   😄   The artist that drew it, Carlos Ezquerra, co-created Judge Dredd: although I know both artist and character are comparatively unheard of in the US.   Ezquerra died last year: it’s a hell of a loss.   On a nicer note?   Guess what’s been dispatched … ?


^        Oh, I’ve got an earworm!   Mind if I share it … ?

3 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

1967,109, weapons of mass destruction,1959,100 km Aw wow I bet your pleased that.Im not on twitter much just for few weeks, sorting few things out.But going to do quiz every day now keep mind active

Olga said...

Q1) 1967
Q2) 109
Q3) Weapons of mass destruction
Q4) 1959
Q5) 100 km
I know what you mean about Wikipedia. They tend to check the contents more now, but sometimes the sources don’t agree and it’s quite usual to copy the wrong information from one article to the next, so untangling it is difficult. I was away when you got this job, with no regular access to internet, and I don’t know what happened with the adoption papers, although I saw you mention it yesterday. Your idea for the two C.V.s sounds good anyway.
Good luck with the job and with the hospital appointment. (I’ve never been to Glastonbury either, although I’m not sure it would be my scene anyway, but I’d love to see Diana Ross, for sure…)

Debbi said...

Interesting. Funny how some people/shows/things don't cross the Atlantic. :)

1. 1967
2. 109
3. weapons of mass destruction (strictly speaking, nuclear weapons)
4. 1959
5. 100 km