Saturday 26 October 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-10-2019: Bob Hoskins

26th October, 2019


You know, Brexit’s possibly describable as a farce.

Not a satire, but a farce.

Or a chimp’s tea party: which is farcical, anyway.

But … ?

I’m starting to put my boiler into the same bracket.

My boiler was due to be repaired, last Thursday: the engineer couldn’t do anything, as it was too old.


I was due to get a supervisor out, Thursday afternoon.   Who couldn’t, as earlier jobs overran.

Lunchtime, yesterday?    The electrician out to fix my bathroom light turn up, and was done in five minutes.

Yesterday afternoon, at about 16:30?

The engineer who originally turned up, last Thursday, turned up, again: rather than the supervisor I was expecting.

Officially re-diagnosed the boiler as old, and told the office so, as they phoned him while he was here.

And told me they should be phoning me on Monday, to book up a visit from the supervisor … 

I’m … 

Yeah … 

Trying to find a decent farce … 


~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with all both scoring five out of five.

The day also saw Olga‡ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 26th October saw the birth of actor, Bob Hoskins.   In which year?
Q2) Bob’s first appearance in a TV series, as a main character?   Was in a show called On thewhat?
Q3) Bob’s breakthrough appearance was in the series, Pennies from Heaven.   Who wrote Pennies from Heaven?
Q4) He voiced adverts for British Telecom: that told us it’s “good to … ” what?
Q5) In 1979, he played the manager of a band: in The Wall.   Which band?
Q6) Bob directed 1988’s The Raggedy Rawney.   Who played Tom, the main character?
Q7) One Bob Hoskins film is ranked 19, in their The 100 Best British Films.   The film sees Bob playing gangster, Harold Shand.   What’s that film’s name?
Q8) His only Emmy winning TV role was in a Jimmy McGovern series: called what?
Q9) He was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for which 1986 film?
Q10) Finally … ?   Bob suffered from hallucinations: after playing Eddie Valiant.   In which film did he play Eddie Valiant?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 25th October, 2019, is Nevada Day.   It’s usually observed on the last what of each year?
A1) The last Friday.
Q2) There’s a parade on Nevada Day, in Nevada’s capital.   What’s the capital of Nevada?
Q3) What’s Nevada’s largest city?
A3) Las Vegas.   (Viva, Las Vegas!)
Q4) Nevada’s also known as the what state?
A4) The silver state.
Q5) Finally … the state shares its name with a what: chicken, mountain range or ocean?
Here’s a thought …
“Most dictators were short, fat, middle-aged and hairless. Besides Danny DeVito, there's only me to play them.”
Bob Hoskins.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Yep, that’s the TorBrowser, Anne: I tend to swap between it and Safari, as and when needed.   I knew about Duck Duck Go, as well: Debbi uses it a bit more than I do.   You were getting spam messages on Twitter?   That’s odd: I don’t think I’ve had the same problem, Anne: but it’s not often I get them, I know that.   And I know what you mean about stress … I hate my boiler … !   (I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you: that landlord sounds iffy … )

†        It’s worth a watch, I know that, Debbi.   Either way, the signing takes priority.   I know Terry Pratchett always insisted on a bucket of ice water at these things: it helped his hands, apparently.   Oh … are you going to be picky about brown M&Ms, as you’re on tour?

‡        I think I’m going to need the luck, Olga: or plenty of tea!   Give your friend my regards, OK?   Hospital stays aren’t nice!

3 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

1942, On the Move,Dennis Potter,Good to talk, Pink Floyd's,Dexter Fletcher,The Long Good,l The Street, Mona Lisa,Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Yes got to much spam, however I made the mistake putting myself in vulnerable situation, when I did those Mental Health videos as some spam started of as guenine people then lonely hearts. I should stopped and thought, so blame myself. Others were well pawn which I dont tolerate or do.On top having challenges in own life, I was melting down regualr with that account. Sad as I built it up but thats life.

Olga said...

Q1) 1942
Q2) Move
Q3) Dennis Potter (You’re never bored with one of his creations, for sure. I’ll never forget the Singing Detective. Or Pennies from Heaven…)
Q4) Talk
Q5) Pink Floyd, although I’m not sure if the name of the band in the film is that or Rock and Roll… (is the date right? I’ve seen 1982. I think 1979 is the album’s date).
Q6) Dexter Fletcher
Q7) The Long Good Friday
Q8) The Street
Q9) Mona Lisa
Q10) Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Thanks, Paul. Your issue with the heating is starting to remind me of Groundhog Day...
I remember one of my professors at Sussex University, who taught about drama and theatre and was in an amateur theatre company at Lewes, told us that Bob Hoskins would go sometimes to watch their plays, when he lived in the area.
My friend, the author (he writes high fantasy stories) was diagnosed with a Lymphoma five years ago, more or less, and it has returned. So far he doesn't seem to be responding well to the treatment, but he is optimistic about the treatment. Let's hope.

Debbi said...

Not at all. Especially since it's The World's Shortest Book Tour--one stop! :)

1. 1942
2. Move
3. Dennis Potter
4. talk
5. Pink Floyd
6. Dexter Fletcher
7. The Long Good Friday (good movie)
8. The Street
9. Mona Lisa
10. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (another really good movie!)