Wednesday 23 October 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-10-2019: Philippi

23rd October, 2019.


Yes: it’s pay day.

Or, at least, the day I get my benefit.

The only problem I have there, is that this month’s payment has been cut*: due to the only payment I’ve had from my last job.

The last one from them?

Gets to me the day before Halloween.

At least, in theory: I have my doubts about it.

That last payment, though, have a knock on effect on next month’s benefit payments: which means November is going to be tough.

We’ll have to see what happens.

~≈Ÿ≈~

Hmmm … 

Are you following the news about Brexit?

Yesterday in Parliament saw MPs approve the Government’s deal with the EU … but vote against the three day time table.

With the net result that … 

Well … 

We have a bloody mess in the House of Commons.

Personally?

I’m hoping the EU approves some sort of delay.

One that allows either a general election: or — my preferred choice — a second referendum.

That sounds like it may go ahead.

On the other hand?

I don’t know that the approval for an election will go ahead.

It seems the Government may have to trigger a Vote of No Confidence, in itself, in order for that to go through.

Going on current form?

I’d expect the Government to lose that … 

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf†, Olga‡, and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Anne and Olga on four..

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd October, 42BC was the date of the Battle of Philippi.   It pitched armies led by Mark Anthony and Octavian defeat armies led by Gauis Cassius Longinus … and who else?
Q2) This was the second battle of Philippi.   The first was on which date of the year: the 3rd, 4th or 5th?
Q3) The Battles took place in the wake of the assassination of whom?
Q4) The Battles left Mark Anthony and Octavian in charge of what: Carthage, the Roman Republic or Roman Empire?
Q5) Finally … ?   Philippi is in which country … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 22nd October is International Stuttering Awareness Day: first marked in which year?
A1) 1998.
Q2) Which of the UK’s monarchs famously stuttered?
Q3) Which 80s talking head stuttered?
Q4) Which Roman emperor famously stuttered?
A4) Claudius.
Q5) Finally?   Which Ancient Greek philosopher stuttered?
A5) Aristotle.
Here’s a thought …
“I sent into exile the murderers of my father, punishing their crimes with lawful tribunals, and afterwards, when they made war upon the Republic, I twice defeated them in battle.” Augustus Caesar, then known as Octavian.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I’m on Universal Credit: which gets cut by sixty-three pence in the pound, for every pound I earn.   Had the job worked out?   I’d’ve been better off.

†        Morning, Anne: how’s today … ?

‡        If it’s any help, Olga?   We’ve got clouds, this morning.   Which is a shame: it was gorgeous, yesterday!   At any rate … ?   You might just want to see if the sound guy’s got a few spares doing the rounds!   Actually, that’s a thought?   Does you’re laptop have a Mic socket?   You might need something that lets you plug more than one mic into it … 

^        Eventually?   Glad to hear it, Debbi!   I’d’ve had to play the Cheggers Plays Pop theme, at you!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Marcus Junius Brutus
Q2) The 3rd
Q3) Julius Caesar
Q4) The Roman Republic
Q5) Modern Greece
My laptop has a mic socket although I haven't used one in a long time (and the only one I have, I think, that is if I brought it with me from England) is one of those headphones + mic. It came with the Dragon Naturally Speaking Software, which never really worked for me (I bought it for a project I was working on where I'd have to do plenty of interviews, but it would never have worked for that anyway. It didn't work for my usual writing because it had difficulty with my accent... It might be much better now but it's quite a few years old. The other thing is that I enjoy typing and I'm quite fast at it...).
I hope the money situation doesn't get too dire. That job was more hassle than it was worth, for sure.
Oh, and the Brexit situation... Bonkers!
It rained buckets here, especially overnight, and it's not looking great this morning, although not raining at the moment.

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

Marcus Junius Brutus,3rd,Julius Caesar, Roman Republic,Greece
Hello day is fine, thanks, weather is awful think this winter will be a cold one. I hope life is treating you well.

Debbi said...

Um ... wow! :) That was ... a thing. lol

1. Brutus the Younger
2. the 3rd
3. Julius Caesar
4. the Roman Republic
5. Greece (formerly Macedonia)