Monday 14 October 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th October, 2019.

14th October, 2019.


Yep.

It’s day where I’ve just enough cash to do some light shopping.

To head to Brentwood High Street … up — ha — Warley Hill.

And, of course, what’s happening?

It’s raining.

After a week or so of nice-ish weather?

We have rain.

Yum … 

~≈∑≈~

Hmm … 

I have to say, I’m generally enjoying using macOS Catalina: the updated version of the Mac operating system that I recently installed.

It’s mostly smooth.

There’s a few 32-bit games I’ll miss in the transition to 64-bit only: but I can always boot up my ageing Mac Pro, and play them across a network if I need to.

There’s a glitch or two, though.

Minor, but there.

I used to be able to drag links from Safari’s URL bar straight over to the desktop: and then directly into the relevant part of an online web form.


Now?

All that happens, now, is that I drag over a user file: rather than a working link.

Not quite what I expected, or wanted.

On top of that?

Under Mohave and High Sierra version of the Split Screen, I could use Quicktime and Pages.

And, when saving a Quicktime movie, the amount of screen the movie used, wouldn’t change.

Now, under Catalina?

It does.

These are glitches: minor ones, I know.

And there’s way’s around the link one.

But they’re glitches I’d appreciate Apple fixing, at some point.

~≈∑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 14th October, 1944, saw the birth of actor, Udo Kier.   He plays Dragonetti in which film?
Q2) 14th October, 1969, saw the introduction of the new 50p piece.   Who much was it worth: in pre-decimal money?
Q3) Cecil Parkinson resigned his government post: on 14th October, 1983.   Which government position did he hold?
Q4) Which city’s Metro system went into operation: on 14th October, 1966?
Q5) Finally?   14th October, 1982, saw President Ronald Reagan declare a War on … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The current Westminster Abbey was consecrated on 13th October of which year?
A1) 1269.
Q2) Strictly speaking?   The Church is the Collegiate Church of Saint whom?
A2) Saint Peter.   (Saint Peter at Westminster, in full.)
Q3) The Abbey was original built as a monastic church.   For monks who belong to which monastic order: Benedictines, Cistercians or Trappist?
Q4) The Abbey has been the venue for sixteen Royal weddings.   Whose was the most recent?
A4) The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s. Prince William and Catherine, in other words.
Q5) Finally?   The Abbey is a Royal Peculiar.   In other words, one run directly by whom: the Queen, the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Director General of the BBC?
A5) The Queen.
Here’s a thought …
“It’s spring when the world is puddle-wonderful.”
E. E. Cummings, October 14, 1894 – September 3, 1962.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        What can I tell you, Olga?   Beer seems to have made itself popular, over the years!   What can I tell you?   😀   Except the festival could have dug up something!   The New Scientist Live show was quite fun.   I’ve never seen so many Macs in my life!   It was a bit distracting.   (OK, Catalina’s got glitches: but it’s not crashed … and Apple do discounts for academics …)

†        Morning, Anne: how’s the day … ?

‡        What can I tell you, Debbi?   It’s worth the wait, I think.   Mind you, I would say that … 

3 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

Blade, 0.50, Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, Montreal, Drugs.
Morning is fine, I am living on the motto of one day at a time, no thinking ahead(worrying) no making commitments for weeks ahead

Olga said...

Q1) Blade
Q2) 10 shilling
Q3) Secretary of State for Trade and Industry
Q4) Montreal
Q5) War on Drugs

Debbi said...

BTW, congrats on getting 1,000 subscribers! Wow!

I've been doing videos a while and I haven't even cracked 3 figures yet. I am close, though. :)

1. Blade
2. 10 shillings
3. Business Secretary (aka Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)
4. Montreal
5. Drugs