Friday 18 October 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18-10-2019: The Return of the BBC … 

18th October, 2019.


Right … 

I’ve now had my boiler fixed.

No, wait: let me re-phrase that.

I’ve now had my boiler looked at.

Unfortunately?

The engineer couldn’t do anything, as he felt that the boiler was too old to be repaired.

Something he would be highlighted to his managers: with a warning that his recommendation could well be … overlooked …

He did offer me a work-round: that would give me access to hotter water when needed.

But I came away with the distinct impression he’d be happier if the boiler was newer.

I think I need to phone my landlord …

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 18th October saw the founding of the British Broadcasting Company.  In which year?
Q2) In which year did it become the British Broadcasting Corporation?
Q3) What’s the world’s largest international service?
Q4) The BBC’s commercial arm — responsible for international distribution and sales — is called what?
Q5) The BBC is largely funded through what: international sales, adverts or a TV license?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 17th October is the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.   The first observance was in Paris: in which year?
A1) 1987.
Q2) According to the World Bank, and as of 2015, you’re on or under the international poverty line: if you’re earning less than how much, per day: $1·40, $1·90, or $2·40?
A2) $1·90.
Q3) Another way of measuring poverty?   Is to see if we cannot meet our basic … what?
A3) Basic needs.
Q4) Those of us in poverty in the UK, can get help from the Trussell Trust: that runs what?
Q5) Finally … ?   According to the UN, how of the Earth’s population are in absolute poverty: 10%, 20% or 30%?
A5) 10%.
Here’s a thought …
“Nation shall speak peace unto Nation.”
Motto of the BBC.
And a group of songs banned by the BBC … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        It sound like they’ve changed the background, there, Anne: it sounds interesting, though.   Oh, apparently, Mark Hamill’s doing the voice of Chucky in this one.   Luke Skywalker, in other words.   That’s a thought, I’ve finished The Hellbound Heart … !

†        You know, I hadn’t thought of that, Olga.   But I bet you I’d need an ID card to apply for the job!   As for the boiler … well … it’s landlord phoning time.   As for Grammarly?   I keep seeing it advertised.   I’m umm’ing and ahhh’ing about it, to be honest.   Part of the reason I started the blog was to learn how to write: having an artificial teacher seems odd.   And it sounds like it’s got as many quirks as Catalina’s spell checker!

‡        Well, I meant the Teaser videos, Debbi, but the Nat’s game will do!   They can’t be as strange as some of the football celebrations doing the rounds!

4 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

1922,1926, apple,BBC Studios,TV license
I am never keen on re-makes to be honest, so was dubious of watching the film.

Olga said...

Q1) 1922
Q2) 1927
Q3) BBC World News (I think, if I understood the question right…)
Q4) BBC Studios
Q5) A TV license
Sorry to hear about the boiler. Boilers and cars, it comes a point when they break down more than they work and you spend more on repairs than they are worth... I hope they get it sorted. Cars, one can live without, but heating...

Olga said...

Oh, I was reading this and thought I'd share, in case you hadn't seen it...
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/14/automating-poverty-algorithms-punish-poor?

Debbi said...

Hmm ... I'll have to check that out. :)

1. 1920
2. 1922
3. BBC News
4. BBC Studios
5. TV license