Sunday 14 August 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th August, 2022

14th August, 2022.


Yes: the BBC weather site’s predicting storms.

Thunderstorms: nice dramatic thunderstorms!

With thunder, lightning and rain.

For tonight.

In Scotland: rather than here in Brentwood.

Down here … ?   We’re still having a heatwave.

The sooner we get rain, here, the better!

~≈§≈~

Oh … 

I caught another episode of Star Trek Picard, on Friday: and posted my written And video reviews last night.


And have to confess … Dr Jurati caught my eye: wondering around in that red frock.


We used to have a band — a soul covers band — that played at the Essex Arms, when I worked there.

The lead singer always brought a fan.   He said it was to help keep cool.

But given the long hair he had?   I suspect it was to make him look dramatic, look windswept and interesting.

The reasons I mention it … ?

Simply, I think this season of Star Trek Picard’s got a lot of shots of Alison Pill, with that dress, and her hair, billowing around as she walks down a sidewalk.

Personally?

I think she’s got a fan parked off camera … !

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on two.

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        August 14 is an online TV series: on a service called Binge.   The Series is from which country: Bahrain, Bhutan or Bangladesh?

Q2)        Cologne Cathedral was completed: on 14th August, 1880.   Cathedral, and city, are in which European country?

Q3)        14th August, 1969, saw the British Government send troops, where: Northern Ireland, the Falklands or Malta?

Q4)        Shipyard workers in Gdansk went on strike: on 14th August, 1980.   Gdansk is in which country: Poland, Estonia or Lithuania?

Q5)        Finally … ?   14th August, 2022, is a Sunday.   In which year was it last a Sunday: 2015, 2016 or 2017?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Actress, Rebecca Romijn, is left-handed.   She plays Una Chin Riley in which version of Star Trek: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, Star Trek: The Next Generation, or Star Trek: Deep Space Nine?

Q2)        According to a 2011 study article for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, the chances of a baby being left handed, may be increased by what, during pregnancy: smoking, ultrasounds or x-rays?
A2)        Ultrasounds.

Q3)        Left handed rulers are numbered how: left to right, or right to left?
A3)        Right to left.

Q4)        Slide Hampton played what, left handedly: trumpet, trombone or guitar?
A4)        Trombone.

Q5)        Finally … ?   A guitar that’s strung left-handedly has the thickest string where: at the top of the neck, or the bottom?
A5)        At the top: just like a right handed guitar.
Here’s a thought … 
“You do have to be fairly selfish when you have a gift. You cannot afford to let too many outside things get in the way.”
Sarah Brightman, born 14 August 1960.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        It IS a bit complicated, Olga.   But you’re a left handed guitar player if you’re strumming with your left hand, and fretting with your right.   Strumming and finger picking are the fiddly bit of the job, as fretting is mostly muscle memory.
        Most players I know?   Strung their guitars so that the thickest string was at the top.
        Jimi Hendrix?   Usually played restrung right handed guitars.   So did Paul McCartney, in the early days of the Beatles: unlike Jimi, he bought symmetrical models.   (He could restring them: and STILL get to the frets near the body.)
        At ANY rate … ?   Thanking you: I’m just hoping people noticed the posters I put up!
        By the sound of the news?   He’s off the ventilator: which is something to be thankful for.   The silly idiot that attacked him … is being charged with attempted murder.   I’m grateful to whatever higher power there is, that it wasn’t worse!

        Hello, Mum!

        You can get all sorts go left handed stuff, Debbi.   I’ll be honest, though, I wouldn’t know what to do with with a left handed breadknife: or tin opener or corkscrew.   But scissors and a ruler?   Those are helpful.   (I’ve got examples of both!)

^        Cheers, Trevor.   I’ve already got the channel.   All I need now is three thousand or so more watch hours … and a bothy in Scotland … 

4 comments:

Nik Nak said...

That’s a thought, Olga: did I tell you I read The Satanic Verses, many years ago: and vaguely remember reading the bit that caused the offence.

I’ think I’m due a re-read …

Olga said...

Q1) Bangladesh

Q2) Germany

Q3) Northern Ireland

Q4) Poland

Q5) 2016
Thanks for the explanation, Paul. It makes sense, even to a non guitar player like me. I guess you try and whatever works best for you, you use. I saw your comment to Debbi and that makes sense as well. Some of the left-handed items must be useful and others probably a bit gimmicky, but perhaps it depends on what people are used to.
I think you’d mentioned that you’d read the Satanic Verses, before. A pretty religious friend of mine read it and loved it, although I don’t know where she is now, with her religion. When I met here, she was a baptist, then she moved on to the Church of England and the last time I saw her she was training to become a deacon, but although we’re in touch through Facebook, I haven’t spoken to her in person for many years, so I wonder, as I always had the feeling that she would become more and more enamoured of ritual and traditions with time, and I wouldn’t put it past her to become a Roman Catholic, given time.
I remember quite a memorable episode with her. She came with me on a two-week holiday here, in Barcelona, many years back (she is a psychiatrist as well, and I met her when I was training in Eastbourne, but she had been working there for quite a few years). We visited el Tibidabo (a hill in the outskirts of Barcelona, where there is a big natural park, and the oldest amusement park in town, still going, the big telecom tower, and also a church with a Christ on top (not quite like the one in Rio, but...). In any case, she saw the church and wanted to go in, but it was closed at the time, so we checked the times and went back when it was open. One could go up on the lift and reach the feet of the sculpture (and a great view of Barcelona), so in we went. A priest (a R.C, priest, wearing a cassock and all) entered the lift at the same time. We were chatting in English, and the priest asked where we were from. Once he learned Jo (my friend’s name) was from England, he asked about her religion (he spoke excellent English), and they had an interesting conversation about it. He said goodbye when we reached the top, and went his way, but Jo was enthralled by the whole experience. She told me many people said that Roman Catholics now didn’t care about their religion and didn’t try to get other people to convert, and her friends from church would be amazed when they heard about this. I’m sure it made her holidays (well, she loved Barcelona in any case, or so she told me).
Oh, here is the link to Tibidabo in Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibidabo
I must check the news again. Last I heard, they were saying that Rushdie was likely to lose an eye (or the eyesight on that eye at least), had the nerves of an arm badly damaged and had suffered injuries to his liver.

Debbi said...

I wouldn't doubt that about the fan, Paul. :)

1. Bangladesh
2. Germany
3. Northern Ireland
4. Poland
5. 2016

And now I know what a bothy is. I learn so much here. I really do!

Freda said...

1 iBangladesh
2 Germany
3 Northern Ireland
4 Poland
65 2016