Friday 5 August 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5-8-2022 — Joseph Merrick

5th August, 2022.


Yes: it’s finally Friday.

Which, frankly, means I’m looking forward to watching another episode of Star Trek Picard, tonight.

The series is going well: and in a lot less time than the fourth series of Stranger Things.


At any rate … ?

Today’s a busy — ish — day.

I’ve a phone meeting with my Job Centre case worker, this morning … and one with my Restart case worker, this afternoon!

I’d better get a move on, hadn’t I … ?

~≈Ω≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        5th August, 1862, saw the birth of Joseph Merrick: best remembered as the Elephant Man.   He was also known as what: John, James or Jimmy?

Q2)        He was born where: Leicester, London or Luton?

Q3)        He was exhibited as ‘the Elephant Man,’ by a showman called Tom Norman: in what people then called a penny what: giff, gaff or goblet?

Q4)        Who played Merrick in the 1980 film, The Elephant Man?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Joseph died of asphyxia: at what age: 25, 27 or 29?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        4th August is Barack Obama Day: in which US states?
A1)        Illinois.

Q2)        4th August is the Feast day of Saint Sithney. He’s the patron saint of mad dogs: and a village called Sithney. Where IS Sithney: Somerset, Devon or Cornwall?
A2)        Cornwall.

Q3)        4th August, 2020, saw two hundred people killed when barrels of ammonium nitrate exploded. In which Lebanese city: Beirut, Zahle or Tripoli?
A3)        Beirut.

Q4)        4th August, 1944, saw Marshal Mannerheim named as President of where: Denmark, Finland or Norway?
A4)        Finland.

Q5)        Finally … ? 4th August, 1789, saw France abolish what: the monarchy, feudalism or the Committees of Public Safety?
A5)        Feudalism.
Here’s a poem … 
“’Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.”
Poem written by Joseph Merrick.
And an opera …


The image in today’s Teaser video was from a facial reconstruction done many years ago.

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Hello, Mum!

        I have to admit, Olga: QI needs more Susan Calman.   She ends up doing something hysterical!
        And I knew half the tips the article: but cheers, though!   It mentions Disk Utility.   Which was exactly the app I used, yesterday: just to check the drive out.   It doesn’t work quite the way it used to, though: it doesn’t do permissions check, any more, which was a useful feature!
        There’s always that one family, isn’t there … ?   And that property could well have been a private one  … that the owner rented to the council so the council could sub-let it.   An old boss of mine did it: from what I’ve understood, there’s some strict rules about what furnishings have to be provided.   A problem family renting these properties can be moved on if there’s anti-social behaviour.
        Now … I have to ask if Saint Sithney was the patron saint of Nöel Coward …



‡        Yep, I managed to correct it, Debbi!   Phew!   I was rushed: what can I tell you … ?
        Oh, I’m watching more Picard, tonight.   I don’t know who’s more menacing, the Borg Queen, or Q!   Oh, do you remember the punk on the bus, in Star Trek 4?   He turns up again, in Picard!



^        Cheers, Trevor: I got it corrected!

4 comments:

Nik Nak said...

That’s a thought, Debbi: has your version of Disk Utility still got a permissions repair feature? I miss that!

Freda said...

1 John
2 Leicester
3 Gaff
4 John Hurt
5 27

Olga said...

Q1) John

Q2) Leicester

Q3) gaff

Q4) John Hurt

Q5) 27
Yes. Here there are similar schemes. If you have a property, you can offer it to the council for them to rent out. The idea is that you don't have to pay some of the usual council taxes on the property they, they do the legwork and check the people who are going to rent, although I think there is a strict cap on how much you can charge, but they are supposed to deal with any nuisance or issues. I would consider taking it up in the future with the flat I have in Hospitalet if the estate agent who deals with it was no longer interested or we couldn't find anybody interested. (The contract is due for renewal in a few months, if the family there are still interested, or we'll have to look for somebody else. Probably some renegotiation will be in order, as we have not made any changes to the rent for the last 4 years and everything has gone up, but we shall see.
I thought you'd know all the tricks in the article, but as it was quite recent, it was worth sharing it.
I hope the meetings go well and are not too taxing.
Oh, and perhaps they should bury Joseph Merrick. Surely, they've had more than time enough to study anything that could be studied, and pictures and models will serve the same purpose.

Debbi said...

It might. I'd have to check. How I find that out?

1. John
2. Leicester
3. gaff
4. John Hurt
5. 27

Man, that's sad. :(