Thursday 18 August 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th August, 2022

18th August, 2022.


Yes: I’m up early.

It’s Thursday,

Which means I’m off to Chelmsford for a Restart meeting: having sorted out tickets.

(Thanking you, Mum!)

The only thing I hadn’t bank on, having not used the train service regularly?

Is that today’s a strike day.

I’m going to  there, late, regardless.

I wish I’d known sooner.

I could’ve legitimately rearranged the date!

~≈🚆≈~

At any rate … ?   And before I move on … ?

I’ve more videos to share.

You can find Jude’s latest short, here:


He and his friends finally got the exploding cola bottle trick, right.

If you could hit ‘Like,’ he’d thank you.

There’s also my most recent Stranger Things review.

I hope you enjoy it!


~≈🚆≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        18th August is the feast day of Saint Alberto Hurtado.   He’s a patron saint of where: Chile, Peru or Argentina?

Q2)        18th August, 2021, saw the death of Sean Lock.   He found fame as a what: singer, comedian or painter?

Q3)        18th August, 1952, saw the birth of actor, Patrick Swayze.   He played Johnny Castle in which 1987 film: Dirty Dancing or Steel Dawn?

Q4)        18th August, 1826, saw Major Gordon Laing become the first non-Muslim to enter where: Mecca, Medina or Timbuktu?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Composer, Antonio Salieri was born on 18th August, 1750.   He was considered a rival by whom: Franz List, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or Ludwig van Beethoven?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Animal Farm was published in the UK, on 17th August. Of which year of the 1940s?
A1)        1945.

Q2)        Which George wrote Animal Farm?
A2)        George Orwell.

Q3)        The farm itself was originally called what: Manor Farm, Crescent Farm or Orchard Farm?
A3)        Manor Farm.

Q4)        The farm is run by animals who rebel against Farmer Jones: after being inspired by a speech from Old Major. Old Major was a what: pig, horse or goat?
A4)        A pig.

Q5)        Finally … ? Animal Farm was written as a satire of what: the Russian Revolution, the Spanish Civil War or the UK’s General Strike?
A5)        The Russian Revolution.
Here’s a thought … 
“There has always been a belief in miracles in the popular mind.   As L. Sprague de Camp once said, the public would rather be bunked than debunked.”
Brian Aldiss, 18 August 1925 – 19 August 2017.
And a fugue …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Cheers, Mum!

†        Yeah, the ticket’s sorted, Olga: it’s just a shame about the strike!   If it’s not one thing, it’s another!
        I’m glad to hear you’ve got everything sorted.   But I have to ask … it’s a 5G router?   One that connects to the mobile network?   I’ve a fixed line, myself: it’s far more reliable, given the mobile signal around here!

‡        I’m in the of The Road to Wigan Pier, Debbi.   It opens with Orwell renting lodgings above a tripe shop!   I’m glad we don’t get the stuff down south!   (There’s a World Tripe Day.   I’m going nowhere near it!)

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Chile

Q2) I liked him. He was pretty sharp.

Q3) Dirty Dancing

Q4) Timbuktu

Q5) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. (Well, it seems the story in the play and the film isn’t true, and in those it is he who is jealous of Mozart, but, in any case, the play and the movie are fabulous. I saw a version of the play in Sheffield, and it was wonderful as well. Directed by Richard Wilson (One Foot in the Grave’s Victor Meldrew. He came to the performances, so I saw him a fair bit around, as he was the director at the Crucible for a while when I was living there).
The router is fixed, via fiber, but I connect to it via the WiFi signal it sends, and it produces two signals one of them much faster, (and at least, it is named....-5G. I did change my contract recently, and that included faster Internet, but that signal usually takes a bit more time to stabilize. Not that I understand how it all works.
Yes, the strike is a problem. Thankfully you got the ticket (well, thanks to your Mum). I don't know if they showed it there, but here, a train going from Valencia to... I think Zaragoza, by some big mistake, lack of communication, or whatever, ended up in the middle of one of the big fires. It seems that some people got off and ran for it, and a few of them were quite seriously burnt and injured. Things are quite confusing as everybody is blaming everybody else (the train company says nobody told them there was a fire there, the authorities say the fire is quite unpredictable and they didn't know it would go in that direction... They had cancelled trains before due to fires, but this one was a pretty close call).

Olga said...

I think I told you I did try one of the 5G routers for the phone company last year, and it worked quite well, thinking about, the idea being that you could take it anywhere, but, of course, anywhere with 5G. I think they are introducing it as an option now, but it works out much more expensive (although if you travel a lot or have a second home you visit often, might work out cheaper than having two separate contracts).

Freda said...

1 Chili
2 Comedian
3 Dirty Dancing
4 Mecca
5 Mozart

trev-v said...

Once again i see we are time travelling in the first2 lines . 28th August, 2022. is 10 days away. It is the day I travel north to my home town.

Debbi said...

Oof. Sounds awful. Especially with affects of the booster on me. I'm so tired ...

1. Chile
2. comedian
3. Dirty Dancing
4. Timbuktu
5. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart