Saturday 10 December 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser —  10th December 2022.

10th December, 2022.


Right … 

I’ve been doing digging.

Some digging.

Or, at least, some messaging.

If you remember yesterday’s Teaser?

I thought I was possibly due an extra £25 Cold Weather Payment.

I’ve checking with a couple of friends about their situations, things sounded iffy.

So?

I messaged my Work Coach, my Job Centre case worker.

Apparently?

I would only get the payment, if I’ve officially been found to have a Limited Capacity for Work.

Something that’s still being appealed.

As a result?   I don’t have a limited capacity for work.

And, therefore, don’t qualify for the extra money.

That?

Is a bit of a bugger.

~≈¥≈~

Did I mention I’ve got piles?

A pile, I should say: of books to be read.

Last night?   I finished Simon Singh’s The Code Book: which was fascinating, I should add.

I finished it … and started on Le Carré’s last Smiley novel, A Legacy of Spies.

It’s looking good, so far: although I’m only one chapter in.

I do know this, though: the font’s a nice size*.

With my eyes?

Readability is everything!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum†, Olga‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        10th December is Human Rights Day.   It’s marked on the 10th December, as this saw the adoption of the Universal what of Human Rights?

Q2)        The first female writer to receive a Nobel Prize for Literature, did so on 10th December, 1909.   Who was she: Selma Lagerlöf, Grazia Deledda or Gabriela Mistral?

Q3)        10th December is the feast day of Eulalia of Merida.   She’s the patron saint of whom: runaways, cheese makers or courtesans?

Q4)        George Shaw was born on 10th December, 1751.   He was a what: botanist, chemist or physicist?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Actor, Ray Collins, was born: on 10th December, 1889.   He made his feature film debut in which 1941, Orson Welles, film?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        9th December is Anna’s Day.   Where: Norway, Sweden or Denmark?
A1)        Sweden.   It’s also marked in Finland

Q2)        9th December, 1952, saw the birth of actor, Michael Dorn.   He played Jedediah Turner in which series: CHiPs, Star Trek: The Next Generation or I am Weasel?
A2)        CHiPs.

Q3)        9th December, 1934, saw the birth of Dame Judi Dench.   She played Laura Dalton in which series: A Fine Romance, Love in a Cold Climate or As Time Goes By?
A3)        A Fine Romance.

Q4)        Redd Foxx was born on 9th December, 1922.   He played Fred G. Sanford in which US series: Sanford and Son, All In The Family or Men Behaving Badly?
A4)        Sanford and Son.

Q5)        Finally … ?   9th December, 1906, saw the birth of Admiral Grace Hopper.   She helped designed which computer language: COBOL, C++ or Java?
A5)        COBOL.
Here’s a thought … 
“Oh, audiences!   Yeah, they can do what they want.”
Ken Campbell, 10 December 1941 – 31 August 2008, in an interview for The Guardian.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        It’s in 13/15.5 Dante MT STD.   So you know.

†        Hello, Mum!   (Michael Dorn play’s Worf, in Star Trek.)


        Well … it turns out I don’t qualify for it, Olga.   Which is a bit of a pain, to be frank.   I think I’m going to have to chase that tribunal: to see what I can do.
        Amazing Grace did have a reputation, bless her: you DO know she filed the first bug report?
        Oh, it’s Telethon Time?   Good luck with it.   (It looks like the weather will be warm: it won’t be too cold, if you’re doing an outside broadcast!)


^        I’ll … um … I’ll see what I can do, Debbi!!   He says, hurriedly eyeballing notes … !
        I think COBOL’s still used: by some companies.   There’s possibly problems, though …
        At any rate?   Yes: Worf was a CHiP!   Dorn also voiced Weasel, in I am Weasel.   And, talking of Star Trek?   Radio 4’s JUST played William Shatner’s version of Bohemian Rhapsody.   Dearie Dearie Me!


4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Declaration

Q2) Selma Lagerlöf

Q3) runaways. Yes, there is Santa Eulalia that is patron saint of Barcelona (We have three, La Mercé, Santa Eulalia and Santa Madrona. In theory we have the body of Santa Eulalia buried in the Cathedral of Barcelona, but many of the stories of the saints are very similar. Who knows?)

Q4) botanist

Q5) Citizen Kane. I’ve seen him quite a few times, but I never checked his name. Now I know.

What a pain about the extra Cold Weather payment. Hopefully they’ll come to a decision soon, as it would help on many other fronts, one imagines.
Enjoy the novel! I am not a big fan of spy novels, and the only one of Le Carré’s I’ve ever read was in translation and many years back, when I was quite young. I might appreciate him more now, but I remember feeling that it was very long, and there were many characters with confusing names, making it difficult to follow.
I am not sure what the plans are for next week, but it is likely to be outside, although we might be going from here to there chasing up stories. We shall see...

trev-v said...

I have just read yesterday’s teaser and saw your reference to both the DWP and to Cobol.

Every December since I became a Pensioner I have received the £10.
I appears in my bank account as “My NI number” DWP XD.
Similarly in November I a line in my bank account which reads “My NI number” DWP WFP. For years this was the £200 Winter fuel payment. For this year (only?) it was £500.
13 times a year a line appears in my bank account and it reads “My NI number” DWP SP and this is my state pension.

All of these happened as a result of me getting to 65balmost 10 years ago.


When it comes to COBOL I am fluent in many of it’s dialects. I am also fluent in many other main frame languages. Never bothered with any PC type languages.

The first version of COBOL that I used back in the mid 1960’s ,when I worked in the computer department of one othe local Steel works up in my home town, was ICT’s Rapid-Write. Some of these programs could take 12 to 14 hours to compile into runnable form. Because of this and the fact that the middle half of each compiled block of code was empty we used to patch these programs with run time machine code patches. The first computer language that I was taught ICT 1301 machine code so that I could do this job.

COBOL is supposed to be readable English. I still remember a line of code written by a guy called Trevor Brown in the mid 1960’s.

It gave me night-mares back then when I had to patch the works costings program that it was in.
The line read “If Cairo is greater than Rome then move Egypt to Italy”. Very hard to figure out what it means.

I used COBOL at places like The Midland Bank and at my last job at AON. The Midland bank programs looked after Bank customers money. In the over night banking suit was a COBOL program about te size of War and Peace. I kept an abridged version of the program in my head so that I could easily get to the cause of a fault in the middle of the night.

Freda said...

1 Day
2 Selma Lugerhoff
3 Runaways
4 Botonist
5 Citizen Kane

Debbi said...

Oh, my God. That's worse than his version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"! :)

1. Declaration
2. Selma Lagerlöf
3. runaways
4. botanist
5. Citizen Kane (I didn't even have to look this one up - wow!)

I'm still listening to Shatner. Amazing! LOL!