Saturday 2 May 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2-4-2020: Portsmouth

2nd May, 2020.


I think we can safely say too things.

Lockdown is still on.

Which … is par for the course, I think.

After seeing some fan art on Instagram?

I’m reminded my dentist is the spit of Sacha Dhawan.


In other words, I know a man who looks like a psychotic Time Lord, happy to kill everything and anyone for fun … 

Who has access to dental drills.

It’s not what you call reassuring … !

And, to top that lot off … ?

Noted anti-semite, and conspiracy theorist, David Icke, has had his Facebook page taken down.

Thank heavens for that.

The next stop’s a Twitter ban!

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Trevor on five out of five, and Debbi on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The city of Portsmouth received its first Royal Charter.   On 2nd May of which year?
Q2) From which English King: Richard 1st, Richard 2nd or Richard 3rd?
Q3) That King was a what: Tudor, Stuart or Plantagenet?
Q4) Is Portsmouth mentioned in the Domesday Book: yes or no?
Q5) Portsmouth’s in which English county?
Q6) Portsmouth is home to the UK’s Senior Service: the oldest of Britain’s armed forces.   What IS the Senior Service?
Q7) Much of Portsmouth in on which island?
Q8) Portsmouth FC plays in Portsmouth.   What’s the name of their home ground?
Q9) Which engineer was born in Portsmouth in 1806?
Q10) Finally … ?   Which Goon was born in Portsmouth’s Southsea region?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 1st May, 1776, saw the foundation of the Illuminati.   In what’s now which German federal state?
A1) Bavaria.
Q2) 1st May is the traditional date of May Day.   The holiday is a traditional European what holiday: Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
A2) Spring.
Q3) 1st May, 1866, saw race riots begin: in which Tennessee city?
A3) Memphis.
Q4) The Empire State Building was dedicated: on 1st May.   Of which year?
A4) 1931.
Q5) Finally?   1st May, 1961, saw Fidel Castro ban Cuban what?
A5) Elections.
Here’s a thought …
“I never saw Portsmouth by day.”
Quentin Crisp.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Yeah, COVID 19’s going to make my review 2020 Teaser set interesting, Olga: if I’ve recall, the first cases were actually reported in 2019, in China.   You know, if the Four Horse of the Apocalypse^ were real, the End of the World would never start.   There’d be too much mucking about with diaries!   You know, I can’t remember exactly where I was when Clinton’s war started: but I remember where I was when the First Gulf War got off the ground.   From what I recall?   Me and the people I worked with spent most of our time wishing the news programmes would shut up about it … !

†        I’ve managed to get them corrected, Trevor, thanking you!   Four whole guineas?   What’s that, now, about £4·20?   As I recall, a guinea was twenty-one shillings … 

‡        I’ll look forward to it, then, Debbi!   He’s at the bottom of the pile, unfortunately.   I do know I’m reading Live and Let Die, the Bond novel, at the moment.   It’s an interesting read … but Fleming couldn’t write it, that way, todayª … (Oh, Germany’s a bit like the US: it’s a federal republic with looks of states.)

^        I don’t know if you ever read any Pratchett, Olga, but his version of the Horsemen originally have five members.   One left before they got famous.   Musical differences … 

ª        Some of the language, Debbi, is … well, not quite the thing … 

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1194
Q2) Richard 1st
Q3) Plantagenet
Q4) No (Penistone is, funnily enough).
Q5) Hampshire
Q6) The Royal Navy
Q7) Portsea Island
Q8) Fratton Park
Q9) Isambard Kingdom Brunel (I’ve always been in awe of his name. Of his achievements as well, but the name… His parents must have been something!)
Q10) Peter Sellers
Oh, yes. I remember the first Gulf War because I was convinced they wouldn't attack the first night, but on the second, and they proved me right. They did a huge TV coverage, for sure. It looked like a poor quality computer game...
Yes, the first cases were in 2019. They're allowing us out for exercise or a walk, at different times of the day depending on the age, but judging by the number of people out this morning, we're all going to be pretty fit... (or dead).
I like Terry Pratchett's take on the Four Horsemen. (Oh, I watched a beautiful silent version of the movie, with Rudolph Valentino, many years back, at the London Film Festival, with an orchestra playing live. It was amazing.

trev-v said...

A1 1194

A2 Richard 1st (Richard Cœur de Lion)

A3 Plantagenet and Angevin

A4 No

A5 Hampshire

A6 Royal Navy

A7 Portsea Island

A8 Fratton Park (They have one fan who attends matches with Blue hair and rings a Handbell)

A9 Isambard Kingdom Brunel

A10 Petter Sellers


Yes A guinea was Twenty one shilling and we got that for every exam wse passed when doing courses on Day release. When doing my ONC in Business Studies I took a GCE "O" level exam for all subjects on the course. The 4 Guineas was almost a weeks wage back then and tax free. One of the "O" levels I have is General Principles of English Law. Some of which changed soon after I took the exam. Certainly the definition of Age of Majority which play a major part in some of the commercial law changed from 21 to 18.

Debbi said...

He is pretty "out there"! :)

1. 1194
2. Richard 1st
3. Plantagenet
4. no
5. Hampshire
6. Her Majesty's Naval Service (as opposed to Her Majesty's Secret Service :) )
7. Portsea Island
8. Fratton Park
9. Isambard Kingdom Brunel (good grief!)
10. Peter Sellers