Tuesday 26 May 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-5-2020: Peter Cushing

26th May, 2020.


Yes: I’ve finally had both a potato mashers, and series 12 of Dr Who, delivered.

To my door.

In a box that was far bigger than it needed to be*.

Which is nice … 

I’ve also got a face mask: courtesy of my sister, Anna.

The blu ray, will of course get ripped: and go on a shelf until my local CeX re-opens.

Which shouldn’t be too long, now.

As the government have announced that shops can reopen on the 15th June.

Hey ho … 

~≈†≈~

A couple of days ago?   I mentioned how digital poverty — how school children from poorer families — were having trouble under lockdown.   The families concerned, generally very tight budget: and couldn’t normally afford laptops or internet connections.

Which got me wondering all sorts of things.

Mostly?   What are local schools doing about this?

I’ve actually emailed Essex County Council: just to see if they’ve got any country wide policy on that front.

Just for my own satisfaction.

I may have to email some local schools, as well.

That’s one other thing … 

I’m very aware I’m struggling to pay my bills: internet ones included.

However, I’m getting by: having paid the expensive bit, the original connection fee, many years ago.

I’m wondering what one or two of my neighbours could do.

So I’m mulling over what sort of enquiries I could make, there: given I know BT has a very reasonable package aimed at the unemployed.

We’ll have to see.

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 26th May saw the birth of the late Peter Cushing.   In which year?
Q2) In which county of England?
Q3) He made his movie debut in a 1939 version of what?
Q4) He appeared in many horror films.   Horror films made by which H?
Q5) He played Baron Victor Frankenstein in the 1957 film, The Curse of Frankenstein.   Who played Frankenstein’s monster in The Curse of Frankenstein?
Q6) Cushing worked for the same studio the following year: in the 1958 version of Dracula.   Who did he play: Count Dracula, Dr Van Helsing or Jonathan Harker?
Q7) 1951 saw Peter appearing in a play called Eden End, on the BBC.   Who wrote Eden End?
Q8) 1958 saw Peter appear in the BBC’s version of 1984.   Who did he play?
Q9) Peter play Grand Moff Tarkin: in which film?
Q10) Finally … ?   Who did Peter play in Dr Who and the Daleks?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 25th May saw the birth of actor, Sir Ian McKellen.   In which year?
A1) 1939.
Q2) His first professional stage appearance in 1961: in A Man for All Seasons.   In a theatre in which English city: Birmingham, Coventry or Derby?
A2) Coventry.
Q3) He played MacBeth in 1976, opposite Judi Dench as Lady MacB, and directed by Trevor Nunn.   For which company?
Q4) 2009 saw Sir Ian appearing in a stage version of Beckett’s Waiting for Godot.   He played Estragon.   Who played Vladimir?
A4) Sir Patrick Stewart.
Q5) The man who plays Vladimir, also plays Professor X in the various X-Men movies.   Which Marvel villain did Sir Ian play?
A5) Magneto.
Q6) Who did Sir In play in the 1995 film version of Richard 3rd?
A6) Richard 3rd.
Q7) Seven years later, 2005 saw Sir Ian appearing in which British soap?
Q8) Sir Ian is gay: and a co-founder of which activist group?
A8) Stonewall: named for the Stonewall riots, that mark the start of the modern Gay Rights movement.
Q9) Sir Ian’s an ordained minister of the Universal Life … what?
A9) Universal Life Church.
Q10) Finally … ?   Who did Sir Ian play in the the Lord of the Rings movies?
A10) Gandalf the Grey.
Here’s a thought …
“I don’t object to the term horror, it’s just the wrong adjective!”
Peter Cushing.
And possibly the only song I’ve ever heard … about Whitstable’s best known resident …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        The various Covid-19 lockdowns have meant seriously reduced pollution levels.   Still, Amazon insist on big boxes with lots of plastic packing.   Oy veh doesn’t cover it … 

†        You mean numbers didn’t show up in Google Docs, Olga?   Or tables with numbers?   Or page numbers?   I know there’s an ‘Insert Table’ option in LibreOffice that could get around the former: and there’s a Page Number insertion option.   There’s also a Numbered/Bullet List option, as well^.   LibreOffice won’t save things as a Word document, by default: but you can save a LibreOffice document in MS formats, using the Save As (Guardar como?) command.   At ANY rate … ?   I’m going to have to add and get hold of a copy of Sir Ian’s Richard 3rd: it’s supposed be quite something.   Oh … guess who conduct the service for Sir Patrick’s wedding to Sunny Ozell … ?




‡        I’ll have to try and get hold of some of her stuff, Debbi.   You get two crime writers, recommending a third?   Well … !   Oh, well done on the reading, last night: it was very enjoyable!   And yes, that Coventry.   There’s an old Specials song, Ghost Town, all about the place.   It took a long time to rebuild it, after the war: the song is the band’s way of complaining about the lack of youth facilities that were the result …


^        Which I never used for the quiz sheet templates I made: it does have a Templates option, though, which I’m thankful for.   It made 60 question sets easy!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1913
Q2) Surrey
Q3) The Man in the Iron Mask
Q4) Hammer
Q5) Christopher Lee (two of the greatest. A winning combination!)
Q6) Dr Van Helsing
Q7) J.B. Priestley
Q8) Winston Smith (I’ve never watched this but I read it was pretty controversial).
Q9) Star Wars
Q10) Dr Who himself
Oh, I was talking about a numbered list, when referring to Google docs not allowing for numbers (I’m not sure about page numbers as I haven’t tried). I was trying to create a handout for my students and it included an exercise, but there wasn’t an option to create a numbered list. When I checked, I found that there is an App you can add to the browser that allows you to add a numbered list, but when I went to print the document, to have a hard copy to check, the numbers did not print. I had tried to create the handout directly using Google docs because our course tutor was very insistent that it had all the capabilities of Word, but, although it has the advantage of synchronous saving (everything you edit is saved automatically, so you don’t lose any changes), I had some issues, and trying to use slides proved more complicated than PowerPoint (and it didn’t have the same options). There wasn’t a problem if I created the list using Word then uploaded it and saved it as a Google doc. The numbers would be there and they would print OK as well, but not if I tried to create it using Google docs directly. You’d imagine it is something pretty basic if you’re trying to use it for homework or other tasks, but I’m sure they’ll fix it at some point.
I’ve noticed your donations button and wondered if it works for you. I’m thinking about perhaps trying to create some simple videos related to teaching (both English and Spanish, only a few minutes each, basic stuff), and include them on my blog and also on YouTube. I haven’t decided yet, as I’m exploring possible avenues, but I wondered if it might be an option to consider while I get the word out, providing people an option to donate something towards their creation if they enjoy them. Ideally, I’d prefer to work at a language school (or two. I’m not looking for a full time job as I want to make sure I can keep an eye on my mother and be here for her, and I also want to carry on with the radio and other stuff) but with the current situation, it’s difficult to know what will happen, and many teachers have been let go, so who knows? I see many PE teachers and trainers use Patreon and similar options, but most of them have a fair bit of following by the time they set it up.
Considering how much paperwork and how many institutions and how many procedures are geared towards people completing them online, it seems access to the internet should be universal and, at the very least, subsidised (if not free) even if it is just at a basic level. Considering the education and job opportunities, that would be a great way to reduce the disparities but…

Debbi said...

Omigosh. 60 question sets! Ack! :)

Thank you for the kind words about the reading. I can't resist doing a reading of Douglas Adams! :)

1. 1913
2. Surrey
3. The Man in the Iron Mask
4. Hammer Studio
5. Christopher Lee
6. Dr. Van Helsing
7. J.B. Priestly
8. Winston Smith
9. Rogue One
10. the Doctor