Monday 25 May 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25-5-2020: Sir Ian

25th May, 2020.


Bleugh … !

I’m knackered, again … !

Either that, or I’m feeling my age … !

Either way … ?

I … like using ellipsis … … !

And … ?   I managed to catch episode five of Penny Dreadful: City of Angels.

It’s rather good … 


~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 25th May saw the birth of actor, Sir Ian McKellen.   In which year?
Q2) His first professional stage appearance in 1961: in A Man for All Seasons.   In a theatre in which English city: Birmingham, Coventry or Derby?
Q3) He played MacBeth in 1976, opposite Judi Dench as Lady MacB, and directed by Trevor Nunn.   For which company?
Q4) 2009 saw Sir Ian appearing in a stage version of Beckett’s Waiting for Godot.   He played Estragon.   Who played Vladimir?
Q5) The man who plays Vladimir, also plays Professor X in the various X-Men movies.   Which Marvel villain did Sir Ian play, opposite Professor X?
Q6) Who did Sir In play in the 1995 film version of Richard 3rd?
Q7) Seven years later, 2002 saw Sir Ian appearing in which British soap?
Q8) Sir Ian is gay: and a co-founder of which activist group?
Q9) Sir Ian’s an ordained minister of the Universal Life … what?
Q10) Finally … ?   Who did Sir Ian play in the the Lord of the Rings movies?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 24th May, 2019, saw Theresa May resign as Conservative party leader.   As a result of her handling of what?
A1) Brexit.
Q2) 24th May saw Union soldiers occupy Alexandria, in Virginia: during the American Civil War.   On 24th May of which year?
A2) 1861.
Q3) 24th May, 1956, was the year of the first Eurovision Song Contest.   2020’s Eurovision has been cancelled: due to the out break of what?
Q4) The Islamic Eid al Fitr feast ends on 24th, 2020: depending on the position of the Moon.   It marks the end of which Islamic holy month?   
A4) Ramadan.
Q5) Finally … ?   24th May is the feast day of Saint Sarah.   Sarah is the patron saint of whom: Romani, Copts or Yörüks?
A5) Romani.
Here’s a thought …
“Acting is no longer about lying. It’s now about revealing the truth. People are at ease with me now. Honesty is the best policy.”
Sir Ian McKellen.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Very true, Olga!   Oh, I don’t if your classes would be looking to use Google Docs, but that’s something else to look at.   I’m not too sure how Google Docs works, to be frank.   I know it’s a cloud based service, I know it’s free, but beyond that … !   (I don’t know how good Google Docs is with special characters like ‘ñ,’ or ‘í’: but there’s a drop down for them in LibreOffice.)

†       Yes, I’ve heard of Lee Child, Debbi: the Jack Reacher chap, yes?   I think the last time I heard about him, he was handing the Reacher franchise over to his brother!   Bit of a brave move, that!   At any rate, yes, I’m going to try and make the effort, Debbi: assuming have had a sneaky siesta between not and then!   (And you mean this Zoë Sharp, don’t you … ?   Got her bookmarked … !)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1939
Q2) Coventry
Q3) The Royal Shakespeare Company
Q4) Sir Patrick Stewart (I wonder if they will “Sir” each other all the time, but I believe they both have a great sense of humour and are good friends. I saw Patrick Stewart in a play in New York, years back. Not one of the best of Arthur Miller’s plays (Ride Down Mount Morgan). And Stewart was or is, chancellor of Huddersfield University, that was very close by where I lived and I visited and used the library quite a few times (great facilities for the size of the city)). I’m sure I’ve heard them on a radio interview having lots of fun together.
Q5) Magneto
Q6) Richard the 3rd himself (I haven’t watched it but I should. I’m sure he must have loved it)
Q7) Coronation Street (it says 2005 on Wikipedia, but I’ve never watched it so…)
Q8) Stonewall
Q9) Church
Q10) Gandalf
We did use Google docs during the course when we went into online, although it didn't always work well (yes, it has similar facilities to Word, but you need to have a Gmail account, so it doesn't always work with students. I set up documents for students to fill in for one of my lessons, and although I set them to share, they couldn't access them, so I think it's something that needs to be set up. There's also the difficulty that when you share it with a group, if somebody starts altering the document, it is altered for everybody, and I didn't find it that easy to tell when I was working on the original or on a copy of it, so I think if you use it for a class everybody needs to be fairly familiar with it to avoid disasters (although it should work OK for one to one or a very small class). There are some differences and it can be slow at times, so I carried on using Word but then uploaded it to Google and saved it as one of the docs. (For some reason I noticed that you cannot add numbers automatically either, and although there is an App that allows you to do that, if you try to print it afterward, the numbers don't appear, so it's a problem if you're trying to design a questionnaire or something like that.

Debbi said...

Yes, that's the Zoe Sharp, all right. She's one damn fine writer! :) And an awesome person. So, nice! I had her on the Crime Cafe once.

1. 1939
2. Coventry (in the Midlands, right? West Midlands? :))
3. the Royal Shakespeare Company
4. Patrick Stewart
5. Magneto
6. Richard III
7. Coronation Street
8. Stonewall
9. Church
10. Gandalf