Friday 29 May 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29th May 2020.

29th May, 2020.


Yes: that video is my best effort at an impersonation of the late Vincent Price.

It is — I think — from The Fall of the House of Usher.

Or, more recently?   An episode of QI.

Remember the episode that sees Alan Davies breaking into Peter Cushing Lives in Whitstable?

Yeah … that one … !

The reason I mention it?

Is because it gets used in the bloody song … which has been ear worming it’s way through my head for the past few days.


The damn thing!

~≈☦≈~

At ANY rate … ?

Remember me telling you I’d been in touch with Essex County Council?   To see what general policies they had, for helping low income families?

I’ve had to put that in as a Freedom of Information request, in case you’d missed yesterday’s post: something that could take up to twenty(20) days.



Here’s hoping that request is answered quickly.

At any rate … ?

I’m jobhunting, at the mo.

And very aware that BT offers a Basic Broadband service to those of who are struggling.   The deal works out at £10.07 for a router, landline and internet connection … with a data download limit of 15 gigabytes.

It’d be a serious step backwards for me: but, for some of my friends?

A hell of a lot better than their current non-existent deals.

So that’s something I’d suggest to people … but also got me thinking … 

What do other companies do?

From the little I know?   Most of us change our bank accounts very infrequently.   Equally, we change internet services providers, about as frequently.

If providers besides BT offered that sort of deal to the unemployed?

They, and we, could benefit.

So, with that in mind?   I’ve managed to get in touch with the Post Office, Sky and Virgin Media: to get a statement from them.

We’re going to have to see what happens.

~≈☦≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 29th May, 1975, saw the birth of which member of the Spice Girls?
Q2) 29th May is Oak Apple Day in England.   It marked who’s restoration to the throne: Charles 1st, Charles 2nd or James 1st and 6th?
Q3) Arthur Eddington and Andrew Claude de la Cherois Crommelin tested a theory on 29th May, 1919.   Whose theory?
Q4) The Byzantine Empire finally fell: on 29th May, 1453.   When which city fell to an Ottoman army?
Q5) Finally … ?   The last of the original Thirteen Colonies to join the US, Rhode Island, joined on 29th May of which year?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 28th May saw the birth of singer, and actress, Kylie Minogue.   In which year was she born?
A1) 1968.
Q2) She was born and raised in which Australian city: Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide?
A2) Melbourne.
Q3) 1989’s Disco in Dream was the name of Kylie’s first what: album, tour or TV show?
A3) Tour.
Q4) 1988’s Kylie was the name of Kylie’s first what: album, tour or TV show?
A4) Album.
Q5) Who did Kylie play in Neighbours?
Q6) She appeared in her first film in 1989.   What was that film: Moulin Rouge, Street Fighter or The Delinquents?
Q7) Which 1987 song was Kylie’s first internationally successful single: I Should Be So Lucky, Got to be Certain or Je ne sais pas pourquoi?
Q8) Kylie’s second single was a cover of which Little Eva song?
Q9) 2001 saw Kylie release her best selling single.   What IS that single?
A9) Can’t Get You Out of My Head.   (Famously?   She’s gaffer taped into that outfit …)
Q10) Finally … ?   She was due to play Glastonbury in 2005.   She played Glastonbury with the Scissor Sisters in 2010.   When did she play the Sunday Night Legends slot at Glastonbury?
A10) 2019.
Here’s a thought …
“If there were gold medals for taking drugs for England then I’d have won a shitload! I did enjoy it but it kind of got to the point where I’d done them all and that was it, there was none left and I just thought 'Can’t be arsed any more.’”
Noel Gallagher, born 29th May, 1967.
And an Oasis song by Noel …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Cheers, Olga: I’m glad to be able to help!   And hoping the digital poverty thing highlights n issue.   Oh, I saw the tweets.   People on Windows have to download software to record with their laptop camera?   I’m saying nothing!

†        Here’s hoping, Debbi!

3 comments:

trev-v said...

Able to answer eventually.


A1 Mel B

A2 Charles 2nd

A3 Albert Einstein

A4 Constantinople

A5 1790

Olga said...

Q1) Mel B
Q2) Charles 2nd
Q3) Albert Einstein’s
Q4) Constantinople
Q5) 1790
Here many companies were offering extra data, etc., during the lockdown for the same price, but that was mostly for mobiles. I haven’t heard anything about broadband or other options. One of the energy companies also offered a 15% reduction in the electricity bill, but you had to request it online, and people who don’t have access to that or who are not tech savvy (perhaps a fair amount of the less well-off and elderly) would have struggled with that. I did write to them several times about it and tried to get set up online for my mother’s account, but believe me, it was like banging your head against the wall very slowly (I had to submit an authorisation, and after that had been approved, they insisted she had to sign with her e-mail address, when I had started the whole thing because she doesn’t have one. Yes, I could have signed her for one, but I would never have remembered to check even more e-mail accounts or they might query the use of the same computer, who knows). I received an e-mail from Amazon (Spain, but I imagine it’s the same everywhere) with thanks and details of what they’ve been doing to support everybody and keep everybody safe during the COVID-19 crisis (blah-blah), but it mentioned they had given free tablets to schools for children without access, and I imagine they might be doing the same in the UK. Worth checking out on.
Oh, by the way, it’s possible to record directly the screen from Windows, although it’s something I had forgotten all about, and it depends on the computer (it works for mine and it’s very old, but I did buy the best laptop within my range at the time or close enough…).
https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/21/21222533/record-screen-pc-windows-laptop-xbox-game-bar-how-to
He cast-o-matic thing was something recommended by a UK teacher who gives tutorial on how to teach online (he uses Camtasia, mind you. I have Snagit but I never bought the new version and now it only works for taking screen captures, and you don’t need it for that. Funnily enough, the editor is not bad, or at least is simple), and the nice thing about it is that you can choose, in theory (I haven’t tried it yet) to use both, the computer camera and do a screen capture in the same video. But my thoughts were more along the line of setting up a meeting using Zoom or something similar, only with myself, as that also allows to share screen and you can see the participants at the same time, and either use a power point with the expressions I want to teach, or write them down on a document as I go along, but I need to be able to also appear, as I think students might benefit from seeing my mouth when I pronounce the words. It might not work, but we shall see. It’s not so much about it looking a million dollars (knowing me, that’s never going to happen) but more about giving people a sense of what a lesson might be like, and be helpful, if possible.
I have a friend who studied design and has done a few things and some book covers for me, and I’m thinking of getting in touch with her to try to come up with some materials (a logo, perhaps a heading for the blog, the you tube channel, those kinds of things), but I’m not sure I want to go all out on that. Yesterday I was talking to an author I know, and I had forgotten he had told me his wife was a teacher and they did have a centre where they offered a variety of courses and helped students with exam preparation, homework, etc. He told me he would talk to his partner, and in the first instance I might be able to advertise on their web for one-to-one lessons. One never knows. It’s not in Barcelona itself, but it’s close by, near Sitges (and yes, it has a nice beach as well). Vilanova I la Geltrú.
Take care.

Debbi said...

Thanks, Paul! :)

1. Melanie Brown
2. Charles II
3. Einstein's (Theory of Relativity)
4. Constantinople
5. 1790