Tuesday 5 May 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5th May, 2020.

5th May, 2020.


OK … 

I have to admit to cooking, last night: what started as home-made spaghetti bolognese, but ended up as home-made linguine bolognese … when I realised what was in the packet.

There were a lot of pot boiling going on … 

Enough to set off my fire alarm … 

And blow my fuses … 

Which, thankfully, was easy to reset.

At least … it was easier to reset than my upstairs neighbour’s dog: Barnaby started barking when the fire alarm went off.

Now … 

Does any one want some sauce … ?

It’s alcohol free … 

~≈↑≈~

Oh … 

If you’re in the UK, you’ll probably know about the sad death of former Goodie, Tim Brooke-Taylor.

It’s amazing to see quite how many of Britain’s really radical series he was involved with.

At any rate … ?

Radio Four did an obituary show, last night.

That’s possibly most bittersweet thing I’ve ever heard.

~≈≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, and Debbi on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The first American to travel in space, did so on 5th May of 1961.   Who was he: John Glenn, Neil Armstrong or Alan Shepard?
Q2) Parliament was dissolved on 5th May, 1640: by Charles 1st.   This sitting of the House was called what: the Long Parliament, Short Parliament or the Second Rump Parliament?
Q3) Europe’s first transcontinental railway opened: on 5th May, 1835.   It connected Mechelen … to where: Antwerp, Brussels or Rotterdam?
Q4) Pravda was first published in its native country: on 5th May, 1912.   Was that the USSR, the Russian Empire or China?
Q5) Finally … ?   The General Treaty came into effect: on 5th May, 1955.   It recognised which country: Poland, East Germany or West Germany?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 4th May is informally known as Dave Brubeck Day in the US: as the date in US format resembles the time signature of which Dave Brubeck Quartet song?
A1) Take Five.
Q2) What is that time signature?
A2) 5/4: also known as quintuple meter or quintuple time.
Q3) Brubeck was born in which US state?
Q4) 1954 saw Brubeck appearing on the cover of which magazine?
A4) Time.
Q5) Finally … ?   Brubeck originally recorded for which label: Fantasy, Columbia or CBS?
A5) Fantasy.
Here’s a thought …
“After we got further south they had no fences. I was glad of it, because they do not look well ornamented with lazy men.”
From Six Months in Mexico, by Nellie Bly, May 5, 1864 to January 27, 1922.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I do make an evening of watching TV, Olga‡: but, in my defence, I tend to tend the next day off!   I got an early(ish) night with Fleming’s Live and Let Die.   It’s quite different from the film.   I get the feeling the villain, Mr Big?   Is loosely based on Papa Doc: unlike the film version.   And you’re right, we’re going to have to see what happens with the Ministry: I get the impression HBO’s handling the international release differently to Netflix.

†        Arrrggghhh … ! SHAPES … !    Still, they can’t be as bad as my linguine, Debbi‡: did I mention the fuses?   I might start food blogging, though: that linguine photo got a few likes!


‡        Did I mention it was my mothers birthday, yesterday?   She ended up with a copy of Dave Brubeck’s Time Out.   Can’t think where I got that idea …

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Alan Shepard
Q2) The Short Parliament
Q3) Brussels
Q4) The Russian Empire
Q5) West Germany
Happy birthday to your Mom, Paul. Some of the best people seem to have birthdays these days (Yes, mine was Saturday 2nd). I'll keep you posted on the Ministerio but won't give you any spoilers, don't worry.

trev-v said...

Looks like I forgot to put my answers in yesterday.

A1 Alan Shepard

A2 Short Parliament

A3 Brussels (not exactly transcontinental )

A4 Russian Empire

A5 West Germany


Speaking of linguine, I made a Sea food linguine last Friday. I used a pack of Tesco's Mussels and king prawns in white wine and garlic sauce which needed cooking. I made some al dente spaghetti which i folded in to the pan in which i was cooking the Sea food so that it was fully covered in the sauce. A very flavoursome meal.

Debbi said...

Well, you could have worse ideas! :) And happy birthday to your mum.

1. Alan Shepard
2. the Short Parliament
3. Brussels
4. the Russian Empire
5. West Germany