Saturday 9 May 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9-5-2020: Billy Joel

9th May, 2020.


You know, it has to be said … it’s week thing, day do-dah of lock down … 

And I think things are starting to … chafe.

I know I’m feeling frustrated: to the point when I’m getting mental images of an ex girlfriend floating around my head.

No, not that sort of image!   Although that can be nice!

No just general ones where we’re be having a conversation.

It’s … 

Well … 

Lockdown … !

~≈≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring ten out of ten, And Olga on nine..

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 9th May saw the birth of singer songwriter, Billy Joel.   In which year of the 1940s?
Q2) In which New York borough?
Q3) He’s informally known as the what man?
Q4) Famously, that nickname is because Billy plays what: the guitar, piano or the Finnish Kantele … ?
Q5) Which of his album’s inspired his nickname: his fourth, third or second?
Q6) His first solo album was called Cold Spring Harbour.   Which year of the 1970s was Cold Spring Harbour released?
Q7) “We came in spastic, like tameless horses.   We left in plastic, as numbered corpses.”   Those words are from which Billy Joel song?
Q8) Joel’s most recent album, Fantasies and Delusions, was released in which year?
Q9) Billy’s second wife, Christine Brinkley, appears in the video for which 1983 Joel song?
Q10) Finally … ?   Billy has suffered with what, for many years: HIV/AIDS, pancreatic cancer or depression?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 8th May is VE Day: marking the end of World War Two, seventy five years ago.   In other words, in which year?
A1) 1945.
Q2) It marks when which countries western forces surrendered?
Q3) The surrender was authorised by that country’s then leader: Admiral Karl who?
A3) Admiral Karl Dönitz.   (It’s also spelt Doenitz.)
Q4) The surrender was accepted by representatives of the four main Allied nations.   Any any one of those four nations.
A4) The UK, USA, USSR or China.
Q5) The country that surrendered was one of three main Axis powers.   Name one of the other two main Axis powers.
A5) Italy or Japan.
Q6) Which of those two Axis powers was in Europe?
A6) Italy.
Q7) The other was where: Asia, Africa or Antarctica?
A7) Asia: it was Japan.
Q8) The surrendering country had been ruled by a notorious far right group: known as the what?
A8) Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, NSDAP or the Nazi party.
Q9) The surrender was signed in a suburb of which city: Munich, Hamberg or Berlin?
A9) Berlin.
Q10) Finally … ?   Britain’s Prime Minister announced the surrender.   Who was the Prime minister?
Here’s a thought …
“Don’t take any shit from anybody!”
Billy Joel.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, bless!   That’s exactly what an old boss said, Olga‡.   One of his old friends were a Mauritian family: Pete always their idea of mild was toastie!   Actually, another of my exes rented from an Anglo-Bengali family in Shenfield.   We got invited to one of their barbecues.   I don’t know what Shivani did made the sauce from, but, WOW!   I wish I’d grabbed the recipe, it was heaven on a barbecue!   (Oh, I’m going to get a bit strict, there, Olga, if that’s OK?   The UK hasn’t been Great Britain since Queen Anne.   Although James 6th and 1st coined the term.   It’s complicated … !)

†        Yeah, sorry about that, Debbi‡! But VE Day, and Billy Joel … well!   And, yes, no problem!   I think I’ve still got the original draft, from way back, as well … !

‡        Oh, I’ve spotted New Hart’s Rules on Amazon.   At what looks like a reasonable price, too.   It can’t make my punctuation any worse!   My typing, on the other hand … 

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1949
Q2) The Bronx
Q3) The Piano man
Q4) The piano
Q5) Second
Q6) 1971
Q7) Goodnight Saigon
Q8) 2001
Q9) Uptown Girl
Q10) Depression
My parents came for a visit once and my mother was cooking at my friend's house and asked if they had any dried chillies for cooking, and when my friend brought a big jar full of them, my mother asked if they were very hot (I translated) and he shook his head, my mother grabbed a handful and threw them onto the pan before I had a chance to warn her that what was hot for him would be unbearable for us. Well, the garlic prawns were 'quite hot', let me tell you.
Yes, the UK GB thing... I guess I keep thinking about car plates...

David said...

Moin moin!

1. 1949
2. The Bronx
3. Piano Man
4. Piano
5. 2nd
6. 1971
7. Goodnight Saigon
8. 2001
9. Uptown Girl
10. Depression

Debbi said...

Great! I'll send you the new, improved (I hope!) version. :)

1. 1949
2. The Bronx
3. Piano
4. piano (the Finnish Kantele????) lol
5. second
6. 1971
7. Goodnight Saigon (good song)
8. 2001
9. Uptown Girl
10. depression