Thursday 14 December 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th December 2023.


14th December, 2023.












I think I can officially say I have a problem

I use a Mac: and have done for a while.

Yesterday?

Whilst my bath was being repaired?

The dratted thing gave out in me.

Its been having issues for a while: kernel panics on restarting, not switching back on after restarts, needing an unexpected fuse change, what have you.

I tried updating it, yesterday: totally forgetting why I hadn't thus far.

Only to find the thing had died.

From the little I could tell ... ?

Something's gone wrong with either the (non-removeable) power cable, or the power button ...

Or -- as the one repairman I've managed to speak to suggested -- the power supply unit, itself.

I'll be blunt, here.

I need that machine working, in order to keep this blog, my YouTube channel, Jude's channels, and my personal life, going: and to access the benefits system, and the tribunals I'm involved with.

If any one can help with the £150 fee the repair shop wants?

I'd be eternally grateful!

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.



Q1)    14th December, 2013, saw China land its Chang’e 3 probe on the Moon.   Which country landed a probe on the moon: in August of 2023?

Q2)    The Sweet Dew Incident of 14th December, AD835 was a coup led by Emperor Wenzong of the Tang Dynasty.    The Tang Dynasty ruled Ancient where: Greece, Rome or China?

Q3)    Alabama joined the USA: on 14th December, 1819.   What’s Alabama’s capital: Birmingham, Montgomery or Mobile?

Q4)    Which Scottish city’s underground railway opened on 14th December, 1896: Glasgow’s, Aberdeen’s or Edinburgh’s?

Q5)    Finally … ?    The first Pacific telegraph cables were laid, on 14th December, 1902: by the Commercial Pacific Cable Company.    Those cables went from San Francisco to where: Beijing, Honolulu or Seattle?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …



Q1)        Malta became a republic on 13th of December.   Of which year of the 1970s?
A1)        1974.

Q2)        The Treaty of Lisbon was signed in 13th December, 2007.   It modified the original treaties behind what: the UN, EU or AU?
A2)        The European Union, or EU.

Q3)        Singer, Taylor Swift, was born on 13th December, 1989.   Her most recent album, 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is a version of an album by whom?
A3)        Taylor, herself.   (It’s a re-recording of her 2014 LP, 1989: re-recorded after a dispute with her first record company, who own the masters of the original version.)

Q4)        13th December is Sailor’s Day.   In which South American country?
A4)        Brazil.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt did an EVA, an extra-vehicular activity, on 13th December, 1972.   At the time of writing, they were the last people to set foot, where: Mars, the Moon or Venus?
A5)        The Moon.

Here’s a thought …
“I make movies for grownups. When Hollywood starts making them again, I'll start acting in them again.”
Lee Remick, December 14, 1935 – July 2, 1991.
And a song …



Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

        The bath is -- thankfully -- no problem, Olga!   Unfortunately, accessing all my computer data is a problem!   I can only store so much on iCloud!   (The cat's called Bobby, apparently.   I suggested 'Mr Fluffy,' but got ignored.)

        He's called Bobby, so you know, Debbi!   (Apparently, bobby's a ragdoll.   He keeps sitting in Mikey the Rabbit's run: Mikey keeps looking at him!)

3 comments:

Mum said...

1 India
2 China
3 Montgomery
4 Glasgow
5 Honolulu

Olga said...

Q1) India

Q2) China

Q3) Montgomery

Q4) Glasgow’s

Q5) Honolulu
Sorry about the computer, Paul. I hope you get the money I sent. Do let me know if it reaches you OK, and good luck! Fingers crossed!

Debbi said...

That's great. So Bobby the Cat and Mikey the Rabbit get along well?

1. India
2. China
3. Montgomery
4. Glasgow's
5. Honolulu

We never rode the Glasgow Subway. But we did see what looked like a TARDIS! :)