Saturday 30 December 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30th December 2024.

30th December, 2023.


It hs to be said: stuff is occurring.

Inevitably!

For starters?

I’ve used a new — cheap! — lavaliar mic to record today’s introductory video.

Could you give it a watch, please?   And let me know what you think?

I’m not convinced it’s very loud … !

~≈🎙️≈~

Moving on … ?

I’ve got various files uploading to my iCloud storage space.

It’s worth it, I think: even if it will take time.

And?

I’ve got other bits of software working with my new machine.

Including MakeMKV: which comes in handy, if you need to back-up blu-rays and DVDs.

Oh, and HandBrake.

Which is something of an old friend, and seems speedy: at least, on this version of macOS.

Quite what’ll happen in later versions, I don’t know.

I’ve also got a lot more space on my main hard drive: a result, I suspect, of this machine dropping some software in some formats, in favour of others.

That’s, hopefully, usable.

I’ve also managed to change the highlight colours the thing uses.

Partly?   Partly because the purple I’m now using seems to show up better on the monitor I’m using.

But also … because I was getting bored of green,


~≈🍏≈~

As a last thought?

This year’s New Year’s Honours list has been published.

Amongst others?

Micheal Eavis — founder of the Glastonbury Festival — has received a knighthood.

Well done him: there’s only so many people who’ve pulled off cultural phenomena.

Amongst the others?

Is actress, Emilia Clarke: best known for TV series, Game Of Thrones.


Did you also know she’s in The Amazon Maurice?

It gives me an excuse to wave my review of it at you … !


~≈🐱≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        30th December is the feast day of Saint Edwin of Evesham.   The Evesham in question is where: Worcestershire, Kent or Cornwall?

Q2)        30th December is the fifth day of what: Christmas, Kwanzaa or Vesak?

Q3)        For some forms of Christianity, 30th December is the sixth day of what: Christmas, Kwanzaa or Vesak?

Q4)        30th December saw coal-mine canaries in the UK made redundant. 30th December of which year?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Gadsden Purchase treaty was drafted, on 30th December, 1853.   The treaty allowed the US government to buy land from Mexico. In order to build what: forts, railways or new towns?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        29th December is Independence Day in Mongolia.   It marks the country’s independence from where: Imperial China, the USSR. Or the USA?
A1)        Imperial China.

Q2)        What’s Mongolia’s capital: Ulaanbaatar, Beijing or Hanoi?
A2)        Ulaanbaatar.

Q3)        The country is a what: a semi presidential republic, an absolute monarchy or a theocratic junta?
A3)        A semi presidential republic.

Q4)        What’s Mongolia’s official language?
A4)        Mongolian.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Mongolia was once called Outer Mongolia.   Where’s Inner Mongolia?
A5)        China.

Here’s a thought …
“I roam these mean streets like a villain, a vagabond, an outcast, scavenging for the scraps that may perchance plummet off humanity’s dirty plates, though often sometimes taking a cab to a restaurant is more convenient.”
Patti Smith, born December 30, 1946.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        That could well be useful to see, Olga: especially as they only released a mini with the M2, and M2 Pro, this year: we’ll have to see.   (And see how quickly I can save up!)
        And, yes, I know what you mean about changes: I just wish Apple hadn’t changed the settings pain!   (Pun intended!)
        Saying that?   I think I’ve got the settings I need, done.   Until Apple changes everything in the next update!

        Hello, Mum!   (Mongolia’s a semi-presidential republic, Mum: not a unitary one!)

‡        🤣🤣   At any rate, Debbi, did I mention the new machine’s operating system’s called Sonoma?   I always think the place is very swish, given all the wine making!
        Oh, there’s a ‘Sonoma Horizon’ wallpaper included with the OS: it looks nice.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Worcestershire

Q2) Kwanzaa

Q3) Christmas (of the Twelve Days of Christmas, for Western Christianity)

Q4) 1986

Q5) railways
Good to know things seem to be falling into place. I thought the video sounded OK. I've mentioned already that my laptop's sound isn't great, although, funnily enough it seems to have improved recently. It must be either some update or my ears...

Mum said...

1 Worcester
2 Christmas
3 Kwaasak
4 1986
5 Railways

Debbi said...

Very California!

I lived for a year in Petaluma in Sonoma County. Very nice country, but it was hard to find a job there. You had to get closer to San Francisco to find a decent one. :)

1. Worcestershire
2. Kwanzaa
3. Christmas
4. 1986
5. railways

I think your mic works fine. You've set your music louder than your voice, though.

I await the 12-question set with trepidation!