Tuesday 5 December 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5th December 2023.

5th December, 2023.


Yes: it’s Tuesday.

And … ?

Frankly, my eyes hurt!

I don’t know quite what’s going on — whether it’s my sugar levels, stress, the weather, what-ever! — but I seem to be getting noticeable headaches, and double vision.

It turns out my sister is getting something similar.

It’s … not nice, I’ll tell you that.

I’ve managed to book up an appointment with my opticians, tomorrow: and have asked my pharmacist about blood sugar tests, in case that’s a factor.

That latter option’s unaffordable: unless I manage to get a second Essential Living Fund

We’ll have to see how that goes!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring ten out of ten.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        5th December, 1766, saw James Christie hold his first sale.   The company that now bears his name is a what: department store, auction house or greengrocers?

Q2)        According to the UN, 5th December is World what Day: World Air Day, World Banana Day or World Soil Day?

Q3)        5th December is Krampusnacht.   Where: Austria, the USA or Morroco?

Q4)        5th December, 1974, saw BBC 2 air the last episode of what: Ask the Family, Call My Bluff or Monty Python’s Flying Circus?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Tony Crafter was born: on 5th December, 1940.   He was an umpire at which sport: association football, test cricket, or rugby league?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        4th December is the International Day of Banks.   According to whom: the EU, UN or FIFA?
A1)        The UN, or United Nations.

Q2)        The day is supposed to celebrate what kind of bank: development banks, retail banks or business banks?
A2)        Development banks.

Q3)        Banks have access to large amounts of what: food, water or money?
A3)        Money.

Q4)        Banks issue payment cards.   Which ‘C’ is a payment card?   (We’re not talking about charge cards.)
A4)        A credit card.   (From what I understand?   Credit cards charge interest, charge cards don’t.)

Q5)        Banks issue payment cards.   Which ‘D’ is a payment card?
A5)        A Debit card.

Q6)        There’s an old form of payment that lets you pay money from your bank account.   It’s a ‘cheque’ in British English.   What is it in American English?
A6)        A check.

Q7)        Telephone banking is done over the phone.   Mobile banking is done through what: a mobile phone, a mobile home or a mobile sculpture?
A7)        A mobile or cell, phone.

Q8)        Banks make what: loans, love or loaves?
A8)        Loans.

Q9)        Banks charge which ‘I’?
A9)        Interest.

Q10)        Finally … ?   A bank that manages a country’s finances is what: central bank, world bank or commercial bank?
A10)        A central bank.

Here’s a thought …
“They gave us the language but it is only we who know how to use it.”
Hanif Kureishi, born 5 December 1954.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Ha!   I can only half follow what they call Multicultural London English, Olga: it changes so rapidly … !
        At any rate … ?   Here’s hoping your meeting goes well, next week!

        Hello, Mum!

        Naaah!   That was a typo, there, Debbi.   Or possibly my subconscious dropping hints!
        And no: I didn’t know it was a matter of debate.: the Wikipedia entry on the Fed, tells me it was founded in 1913.   Which surprised me: the Bank of England was founded in 1694!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 Auction House
2 World Soil Day
3 Austria
4 Call my Bluff
5 Test Cricket

Olga said...

Q1) auction house

Q2) World Soil Day

Q3) Austria (It sounds fun!)

Q4) Monty Python’s Flying Circus

Q5) test cricket
I know my uncle has a machine to test his glucose levels, and I think they changed it for him, although I am not sure if he had to buy it or if they gave it to him. I think the problem is the testing sticks, which can be quite expensive. Perhaps diabetes UK have some advice, but if the symptoms continue, it might be worth checking with your GP. (Urine tests I think are much cheaper, but not so accurate, and these don't require a machine, but you still need to have the sticks to test...)

Debbi said...

Yeah, it took us a while to set up a national bank.

The debate over whether to do so goes back to Jefferson (against) vs. Hamilton (for). I'm pretty sure. :)

1. auction house
2. World Soil Day
3. Austria
4. Monty Python's Flying Circus
5. test cricket